Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Subtitles are needed for Adebayor. I'm not joking either.

Why do the British channels feel the need to have foreign players as pundits when they usually have a vocabulary of around 100 english words ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Why do the British channels feel the need to have foreign players as pundits when they usually have a vocabulary of around 100 english words ?

So true. Remember poor Leonardo in 2006? Nobody could understand a word he was saying, everybody else would just nod and smile when he spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

surely since the is gonna be "Englands WC" they would have a few england legends to do punditry on the UK channels. ITV and BBC are both rubbish. ya cant beat bill and the boys. Legends! really looking forward to their comments on USA v Engerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are the graphics on RTE so fúcking small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Eamo commenting on a Rooney goal for United: "Get in the net you little beauty!"

Bill : The Americans are annoyed that people are calling their league a Mickey Mouse league

Eamo/Giles/Souness : It IS a Mickey Mouse League
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Adebayor has perfect english really, it's just he speaks too fast and his accent makes it difficult to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Des wrote: »
    Bill : The Americans are annoyed that people are calling their league a Mickey Mouse league

Yet another league they're commenting on without having a ****ing clue about it.

Yet another league they're commenting on without having a ****ing clue about it.
    And?

It's entertainment.

If you don't like it, watch something else. Like ITV or BBC. Literally better.

And?

It's entertainment.

If you don't like it, watch something else. Like ITV or BBC. Literally better.

No, it's not entertaining for me, that's the point. They're meant to be the knowledgeable ones but come across as idiots 99% of the time. They say these things to entertain some simpletons imo.

I'm watching it on ITV atm, and I don't bother with any half time yap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Souey '... a back 4 made up of waifs and starifs'

wtf?

It's a load of wtf tbh. I just turned it on there for two mins, got the usual 'Gerrard and Lampard ain't working' tripe that those guys read on the papers. They must have a list of things that they have to say when England are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Eamo commenting on a Rooney goal for United: "Get in the net you little beauty!"

lordgoat wrote: »
    Souey '... a back 4 made up of waifs and starifs'

wtf?

Lol, quality stuff :)

Bill : Carragher's coming on, but for who

Giles : Heskey

Came on for King actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bill : Carragher's coming on, but for who

Giles : Heskey
    Came on for King actually.

:rolleyes:

Giles on King coming off, must be a knee injury :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Dunphy's state of the nation pieces in the Daily Scar are comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

George displaying his superb grasp of geography with this beauty:

"Stuart Holden born in Aberdeen moved to the States as a child but now back in England playing with Bolton Wanderers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Andy Townsend on ITV "gerrard had a great game" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The word courage has made it's debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Eamonn setting up John's analysis and admitting that he was embarassed about being wrong about England!

"we'll show it again, if you dont mind lads!!!" - Giles Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stuck with Aidrian Chiles here, he's an absolute mug, fawning now "we need reassurances from Capello"

Gareth Southgate is pretty good though I have to say, Vieira is ok and Keegan looks dead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Gile: Just let me finish Bill

Bill: I thought you had finished :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Giles: What's that term for a transfer of possession in Rugby.

Dunphy: Scrum Half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dunphy (about the altitude): Im at 5000 feet all the time (baby) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

They are a national treasure. I actaully feel sorry for all those in Britain who have to put up with the mindless sh*te that passes for punditry and analysis over there. Do they actually think the stuff they get is insightful? I love them. May they never retire!

Souness: (silence)

Dunphy: "Let me finish (to Souness)...

Bill: "He didn't interrupt you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The punditry was much more fun than the match.

The English really are shíte at punditry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone here Dunphy taking the piss out of Serie A, saying Senderos went to Juve on a free? Funny stuff!

How long before he goes on a rant about the greats?
    "Brian Cody, Bill Shankley, Tony McCoy, Matt Busby"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Have to say. I can't take Souness seriously. When he's here with RTE, he agrees with everyone about how **** England are. When he's over there, he's part of the hype machine about how excellent england are.

How could you respect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

seadnamac wrote: »
    They are a national treasure. I actaully feel sorry for all those in Britain who have to put up with the mindless sh*te that passes for punditry and analysis over there. Do they actually think the stuff they get is insightful? I love them. May they never retire!

Think I read somewhere that this might be the last world cup for them, is this true? :(

If so, rtes coverage will see viewing figures drop big time imo

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Have to say. I can't take Souness seriously. When he's here with RTE, he agrees with everyone about how **** England are. When he's over there, he's part of the hype machine about how excellent england are.

He stood up for England a bit in fairness.

Re the hype machine, it really is not as big as some are making it out to be, and hey when rte commentate on Ireland games,(leaving out Dunphy) how biased is the commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

OPENROAD wrote: »

Re the hype machine, it really is not as big as some are making it out to be, and hey when rte commentate on Ireland games,(leaving out Dunphy) how biased is the commentary

Did you watch ITV? England Gerrard and Heskey were brilliant :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Very good point. Can't stand the man and that comes from a Liverpool fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Someone on the RTE panel contradicts themselves? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Think I read somewhere that this might be the last world cup for them, is this true? :(

I'm sure that was someone guessing on the basis of Giles' age and how he's kinda showing it!

I'd say Dunphy's got a few in him still.

Ronnie Whelan. Hope not. Annoying git!

The idiot on ITV said England where "serious contenders" for the World Cup without a hint of ironing. "Make no mistake" i think he said :eek:. The funny thing is they actually believe it ffs. England have made what one major tournament semi final in the last forty years and yet we have to listen to this ****e every time they are at a major tournament.

Mister men wrote: »
    The idiot on ITV said England where "serious contenders" for the World Cup without a hint of ironing. "Make no mistake" i think he said :eek:. The funny thing is they actually believe it ffs. England have made what one major tournament semi final in the last forty years and yet we have to listen to this ****e every time they are at a major tournament.

Are you a regular poster on this forum?, many Irish posters have said the same, even Eamon Dunphy said the same before the match, John Giles said it during the week also

I'm sure that was someone guessing on the basis of Giles' age and how he's kinda showing it!

I'd say Dunphy's got a few in him still.

!

Hope they are both on for a long time to come, can't imagine coverage without them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Is Jimmy Maggee doing any commentary for this World Cup or has he called it a day? Havent heard him yet

Are you a regular poster on this forum?, many Irish posters have said the same, even Eamon Dunphy said the same before the match, John Giles said it during the week also
    Oh sorry i did'nt realise i had to be a regular poster on this forum to form my own opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Yea it's mentioned in this interview from the Irish Times recently. A fantastic interview, it's well worth a read, some great moments in it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0605/1224271911320.html

In it,Bill says that he's finished after the 2012 Olympics and John and Eamonn pretty much say they won't stay on without him. It will be a sad, sad day.

Mister men wrote: »
    Oh sorry i did'nt realise i had to be a regular poster on this forum to form my own opinion.

Where did I say you did?

If you read the rest of my post you would have seen that I said many posters on this Forum have said that England could win :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

SarahBM wrote: »
    Eamonn setting up John's analysis and admitting that he was embarassed about being wrong about England!

"we'll show it again, if you dont mind lads!!!" - Giles Legend!

(You fogot to mention) ->>>>>>> "No, we don't mind" says Dunphy. :D

A few other gems from tonight's performance:

Before tonight's match, Souness stated: "England are playing against a team of........"
    Dunphy (the Spainish expert), jumped in quick as a flash: ".... journeymen!" :D:D:D

Souness: "England are playing like a team in the lower half of the Premier League....."
    Dunphy mutters (barely audible): "Bolton Wanderers...... Stoke" :D

Bill: "Who's Carragher coming on for?"
    The Great John Giles: "Heskey!" :D

John Giles: "What's that thing they call in rugby?"
    Dunphy: "Scrum half" :pac:

Eamon: "Let me finish, Graeme."
    Graeme: "I didn't say anything"
    Eamon: "Let me finish!" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Is Jimmy Maggee doing any commentary for this World Cup or has he called it a day? Havent heard him yet

He's supposed to be. Keep an eye out for him during Slovenia vs Algeria, or Switzerland vs Honduras.

Can't believe some of the praise Hansen is giving Gerrard, you would never know Hansen played for Liverpool :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I fully agree buddy. I actually wrote a lengthy post last year in appreciation of the fantastic work done by the RTE football panel. I think it's worth reposting here now:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556873&page=7
    Great stuff!

I tune in every week to see Bill & Co. and I have to say that they are the best panel of pundits around by a long way. I would much rather watch the RTE boyos than Gary 'jug ears' Lineker, and his pals Jamie Redknapp, Shearer and Anal Hansen with their PC bollox over on the BBC. Uncle Toms who don't have a bad word to say about anybody. As for Andy Gray and SKY- jesus you'd get better 'analysis' on Apres Match. Brown noses the lot of them over there. The RTE lads aren't afraid to tell it like it is, and imo that is an admirable quality, which is rare enough these days, in a world of hyped-up spivel. An awful lot of nonsense is talked about the game, especially in England, where the arse-lickers hype up even the sh1ttest of average players in the already overhyped premiershp. You know, the dross that play for mid-table mediocrity like Bolton, Wigan etc. The 'pundits' (I wouldn't even call them that) though who ply their trade across the water are a sad joke; has Jamie Redknapp ever criticised a player? Ever? And as for Ian Wright, well the best thing I can say about him is that he has a limited vocabulary. :D

The RTE lads, on the other hand, see right through the hype, the bull$hit, and tell it like it really is. They have the courage and the honesty to speak the truth, and face it, a lot of the time they're right- Ronaldo is a spoilt brat, Benitez is a clown, and Terry Venebles* is a fukcing fraudster (proven in court so no defamation there); and it seems some people throw a hissy fit when the lads speak their mind. Well guess what, the truth hurts, baby!

* One of Dunphy's many hilarious quotes: "He didn't turn up for his first match because he was doing a gig for the BBC's holiday programme." :D

hahahahahah.....

And that's what you get with the RTE panel; a sense of humour, honesty, integrity, moral courage, and a strong conviction underlying their beliefs. They aren't afraid to upset the establishment and tell it like it is. Cu#ts like Andy Townsend over on ITV just smile, nod, talk sh1te about the game, and are as dry as a nun's gusset too.

Dunphy is pure class though; an articulate and intelligent man who, quite clearly, cares about the game, and isn't afraid to stand up to the tyranny of hype and crap spouted by the mainstream. John Giles, a former great, and a living legend, is truely brilliant and has a deep love for the game he once played so well. I love his ever exuding nonchalance and his straighforward, no-nonsense analysis of a sport that is actually quite simple when you think about it. Then, there's Bill 'oakie doke' O'Herlihy; an accomplished anchor who is simply quite superb in the way he rouses his troops, and stirs up issues of topical interest for the panel to debate. Compare him to Richard 'apeman' Keys [shudders] or satan-lookalike Jim Rosenthal, and you'll soon realise what you're mssing. Honourable mentions, also, to Liam 'Chippy' Brady (temporarily absent with the Ireland gig, but hopefully should be back sometime in the future), and Graeme Souness.

Lads, in all fairness, we're very lucky to have such great pundits on the RTE panel. It'll be a sad day when they retire.

Well done lads, keep up the good work!

I love Dunphy and co, but we all know when they are critical of our own teams, then we can be very critical of them and are not so full of praise for them, the stick Dunphy got for being critial of Trap during the qualifying campaign immediately springs to mind.

Got to disagree with the majority of that tbh. I was of the understanding that a pundit was to be somewhat knowledgeable in the subject matter he is discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yea it's mentioned in this interview from the Irish Times recently. A fantastic interview, it's well worth a read, some great moments in it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0605/1224271911320.html

In it,Bill says that he's finished after the 2012 Olympics and John and Eamonn pretty much say they won't stay on without him. It will be a sad, sad day.

Damn, that's depressing.

• Advertisement

Just listening to Mick McCarthy on MOTD, love his Barnsley brogue :D

Advertisement