Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Talking about Vidic:

Graeme Souness: "He got raped..... sorry, taken apart by Torres at Liverpool!":D

/Uncomfortable silence in the studio/:D

Daragh just apologised. Dont think its "gold" ... bad taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If anyone gets a link to that online I would appreciate it.

I was sitting here watching him talking about Vidic and Torres and completely missed it.

Am I so acclimatised to the use of thr word 'rape' when talking about football?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Hope he doesn't get the boot as a result.............cue multiple complaints from the po-faced pc brigade......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I guarantee there will be an article in the papers quoting the Irish Rape Centre as saying Souness is a disgrace and should be fired for his insensitive comments.

It was a slip of the tongue, they've apologised so nothing to see here. Except somebody out there is counting down the hours til the Joe Duffy show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just waiting for the Rape Crisis Centre to release a statement saying they are 'shocked' at the remarks made.

Rape is a very common word to use, sure everyone says it. Sounds better than a 'one sided affair'

Will it make Six One? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

monkey9 wrote: »
    I guarantee there will be an article in the papers quoting the Irish Rape Centre as saying Souness is a disgrace and should be fired for his insensitive comments.

It was a slip of the tongue, they've apologised so nothing to see here. Except somebody out there is counting down the hours til the Joe Duffy show.
    +1
    He immediately corrected himself and said sorry. Everyone knows the colloquial use of that word, and while it may not be appropriate for daytime football punditry, it wasnt meant with any malice.

But that wont stop the usual suspects from making hay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

First the Hunky Dory ads, now this with Souness, the number of rapes in ireland this year is going to shoot up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The PC brigade will no doubt try to brew up a **** storm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Some great analysis by John after the England game last night.

Thats why he's the senior analyst baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ITV has a great team imo, just listening to them before the current game and they make so much sense, Desailly and Townsend were really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

noodler wrote: »
    If anyone gets a link to that online I would appreciate it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do Irish people really complain about this? For example a lot of programmes over here go out pre-watershed with bad language in it that would never be acceptable in the UK or the US.

Put it this way if he had said that on Sky, Keys would have fell out of his chair in fright and would have been apologising every 15 minutes.

Doubt much of a fuss will be made about it. Wasn't a great phrase to use but he and RTE acknowledged that fact so I reckon it's the end of the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Do Irish people really complain about this? For example a lot of programmes over here go out pre-watershed with bad language in it that would never be acceptable in the UK or the US.

Put it this way if he had said that on Sky, Keys would have fell out of his chair in fright and would have been apologising every 15 minutes.

Doubt much of a fuss will be made about it. Wasn't a great phrase to use but he and RTE acknowledged that fact so I reckon it's the end of the matter.

The safest bet you'll make this summer is some miserable old biddy who wasn't even watching the fúcking match and just heard about it will be onto Joe Duffy first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I could see some complaints over this. There will always be some auld-one out there that just happened to hear it while flicking over to murder she wrote and will feel it necessary to complain.

What he said has become a footballing description and I hope he doesn't get in too much trouble over it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I wouldn't make light of it too much, there is a big risk that rapes of Vidic will rise massively next year and clearly Souness will be to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Seems about as good a place as any to post this. I've been busy putting up clips for ex-pats and some friends in Australia, if anyone wants to watch them(or missed them) :D

This one is from Friday. Brilliant stuff from John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eagle eye wrote: »
    ITV has a great team imo,

Are you serious ?
    ITV have the worst pundits by a country mile.
    I was watching their highlights program last night with Robbie Earle and Gareth Southgate and they had a "Match Analysis" caption splash up on screen for 5 secs.
    They then showed the USA goal and said it was a mistake by the goalie.
    That was it,the sum total of their "Match Analysis", absolutely farcical .
    They didnt criticise the English performance or tactics ,just said there were a few areas for improvement.The usual keep the spirits up waffle.

Compare this with the attitude over on the BBC ,who were highly critical of the performance and gave some good insight .
    ITV are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Even george hamilton is getting sick of the vuvuzelas. complaining they were constant throughout HT in the Ghana match!!! LOL

Darrah Moloney smiling over the fact that Maradona can still take a free. LOL

Some world cup punditry gold from my Mam! re Kilbane "he looks like Achmed (the dead terrorist) with skin! LOL you would think rte can afford some make -up for their world cup panelists!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This one is from Friday. Brilliant stuff from John.

Dunphy on Sven in this
    "The Mexican players disn't like him, he was probably trying to pull their birds"
    Brilliant!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

tdv123 wrote: »
    Some great analysis by John after the England game last night.

Thats why he's the senior analyst baby.

Why, what was he saying that made him stand out?

Why, what was he saying that made him stand out?

Most people dont look at analysis as some sort of insight. Most pundits talk sh!te.

The RTE lads are entertaining, that's why people watch them. I don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp what this thread is about. Nobody here says they learn about football from the RTE crew. It's the entertainment that is considered the punditry gold!!

Nevermind, just had a quick look at it there. He says that was the worst match he saw so far (presumably missed the France - Uruguay game as that was pants). And they devote roughly 10 seconds out of 15 minutes to USA (if even). Embarrassing.

Gotta love when Dunphy says about Capello's "inepitude of analysis" :D Surely taking the p*ss? :D

And Sounsess said Inter weren't the best team in Europe, what?!

And they suddenly went off on a tangent about Italian football, what had that got to do with last nights game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Nevermind, just had a quick look at it there. He says that was the worst match he saw so far (presumably missed the France - Uruguay game as that was pants). And they devote roughly 10 seconds out of 15 minutes to USA (if even). Embarrassing.

Gotta love when Dunphy says about Capello's "inepitude of analysis" :D Surely taking the p*ss? :D

And Sounsess said Inter weren't the best team in Europe, what?!

And they suddenly went off on a tangent about Italian football, what had that got to do with last nights game?

Do you constantly subject yourself to things that annoy you for the sole purpose of bitching about it on the internet?

I don't like the X-factor, guess what I do, I avoid it. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think we need to look at the target market here. Not everyone watching RTE wants clinical analysis and in depth soccer debate.

I'm a fair weather soccer supporter and I think they're great craic. I'll be glued to the World Cup but the madness and 'enjoyability' of Bill, Eamonn, Johnny and Liam is a separate and valid attraction for Joe Soaps like me.

In short.. They provide the craic Im after. If I want the in depth, clinical stuff, Im sure that's available elsewhere.

magma69 wrote: »
    Do you constantly subject yourself to things that annoy you for the sole purpose of bitching about it on the internet?

I don't like the X-factor, guess what I do, I avoid it. Simple really.

It's World Cup time, and it's highly likly I'll come across these guys from time to time. I might even hear them tonight during the Germany game, who knows. So I think I'm quite entitled to rubbish what they say if I feel what they say is indeed rubbish. Would you rather I just guessed what they said?

And Charlie Brooker says hi.

Trotter wrote: »
    I think we need to look at the target market here. Not everyone watching RTE wants clinical analysis and in depth soccer debate.

I'm a fair weather soccer supporter and I think they're great craic. I'll be glued to the World Cup but the madness and 'enjoyability' of Bill, Eamonn, Johnny and Liam is a separate and valid attraction for Joe Soaps like me.

In short.. They provide the craic Im after. If I want the in depth, clinical stuff, Im sure that's available elsewhere.

Totally accept that Trotter but when I see some people in here saying 'informed analysis' and what not, then it bugs me a little. I've laughed at some things they've said, but in general I find them to be extremely misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Do us a favour and stop trolling Catenaccoi! you're ruining a great thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It's World Cup time, and it's highly likly I'll come across these guys from time to time. I might even hear them tonight during the Germany game, who knows. So I think I'm quite entitled to rubbish what they say if I feel what they say is indeed rubbish. Would you rather I just guessed what they said?

And Charlie Brooker says hi.

It's highly likely you'll come across them if you sit down, switch on to RTE2, and listen to their analysis. :rolleyes:

It's not like you are being forced to watch it.

In a room with a number of people, it's unlikely I'm going to storm out of the room :D

I laughed at the 'don't interrupt me' bit fwiw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why post in a thread gold World Cup Punditry Gold?
    Start another thread about your hatred or something.

Because I disagree with it :confused: See comment below...surely I can argue that, no?
    Looking forward to the comments/discussions/arguments as much as some of the matches.

Hatred? Oh come on, merely pointing out the gaps in their analysis, that's hardly hatred in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Can't wait to see the look on Hamann's face when the Irish lads rip into Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Totally accept that Trotter but when I see some people in here saying 'informed analysis' and what not

Quote people who've said that about RTE.

Go on.

seadnamac wrote: »
    It was relevant because Bill said that the Americans, not sure whether he meant the public or management/team, were upset that people regard their league as mickey mouse. The lads agreed. It was one single exchange amongst a host of other discussion. Would you disagree that the MLS is sub-standard or to put it another way mickey mouse?

I think Dunphy calls Gilardino a donkey because he considers him to be nothing more than a workmanlike, one-dimensional player without any noticeable skill, that relies on other more talented players around him to carry the brunt of the burden. Dunphy calls these types of players 'donkeys'. The bluntness gets his point across. You see the thing is what these lads do is give their honest, informed opinion on the topics. You may not always agree with them and you may not always disagree with them. But they will always give you their honest opinion.

You don't get that on the British stations, you get patronising, sugar coated drivel that is simply aimed to not offend then to actaully inform or express an honest opinion. It is analysis for the mindless, the brain dead, the lowest common denominator and it's a shame because I'm sure that that's not actually what their audience is made up off.

Probably more out there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Do us a favour and stop trolling Catenaccoi! you're ruining a great thread
    This. Create a new thread if you want to argue your point, the majority of people in this thread enjoy RTE's football coverage. Hope Germany have a rubbish first half so that they can rip into them with hamann there.

Because I disagree with it :confused: See comment below...surely I can argue that, no?

Hatred? Oh come on, merely pointing out the gaps in their analysis, that's hardly hatred in fairness.
    Almost as many gaps in your points about them as there is in their analysis! You're the Dunphy* of the soccer forum with your ill informed points and not able to back stuff up. You're becoming the monster you hate :D

*But at least Dunphy is entertaining!

Wait, what have I said that's ill-informed? Nothing outlandish at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Start a "RTÉ Punditry Is Crap" thread

• Advertisement

Well, you say you have to watch a league regularly to say it's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=14&month=06&year=2010&hour=13&min=45&sec=00&p0=78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des wrote: »
    Quote people who've said that about RTE.

Go on.

Can't answer this, no?

You've been found out to be spouting shíte, arguing against nobody, and posting for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I'm sure a lot of people on this thread using Firefox may find this add-on of use!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023/

;)

Des wrote: »
    Can't answer this, no?

You've been found out to be spouting shíte, arguing against nobody, and posting for the sake of it.

Sorry to do this to you :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66383037&postcount=236

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

fail.jpg?t=1276456754

Wonderful stuff by RTE :P

• Advertisement

First bad decison of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

First bad decison of the tournament
    Was an awful decision alright monkey. Have no idea what you were thinking putting your comment in the punditry gold thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I stand by it. Go start your own bloody thread and talk to the tumbleweeds that it will be full of.

Pighead wrote: »
    Was an awful decision alright monkey. Have no idea what you were thinking putting your comment in the punditry gold thread.

Ha! I know, i tried to delete the post but it didn't quite work out for me.

seadnamac wrote: »
    I stand by it. Go start your own bloody thread and talk to the tumbleweeds that it will be full of.

Was simply replying to the request made by Des.

• Advertisement
Advertisement