Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Mark Lawrenson ''Forlans running this game, he could play in his slippers, no one is getting anywhere near him''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

BBC - "Diego Forlan is a self confessed twitter addict!" - with only 100 tweets, I dont think so!

I have 15000 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

15000 is a lil excessive, how many of those tweets have been to Forlan:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Giles: they're not Hollywood balls Bill, they're Pinewood studio balls

on bad passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

"It looks like Uruguay are going to win this match for the first time, for a long, long time."

Good man Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

On ESPN

to John Barnes : '' They compared you a few times to maradona , didn't they?''

John: ''yeah , they said i was rubbish compared to him''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

"Maradonas one of the coaches who youe could see subbing himself on"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Alan Hansen just said

"I never thought we'd see so many whites in the box".

i laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

excellent punditry from hansen
    greece v nigeria
    "one thing you wouldnt expect to see is so many whites in the box"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

BBC commentator when Greece scored a goal with a deflection in off of Lukman Haruna;

"There was an element of luck in that goal!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Jimmy McGee- "The real winner in this world cup is the vuvuzela, it actually sounds like a country doesn't it?, if it was in the world cup it would be about a half a million to nil."

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Jimmy Magee -

" He got a little studd on that, or maybe even a big studd.'

"Samaras is the Jesus looking guy.'

"He went down like he works for the WWE.'

Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"He went down like he works for the WWE.'

Legend!

Did he seriously say that? Quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jimmy Magee on the Nigerian sending off.

"If you ever go to Trim or Kells and you see a building, I believe it's called a folly. There was certainly a bit of folly there"

:confused:

Did he seriously say that? Quality.

Yea about the Grecian player! hahah nearly spit my tea all over the tele!!

• Advertisement

Jimmy McGee is absolutely brutal, his commentary when somebody scores a goal is just bizarre, he just keeps talking as if it isn't a major turning point in the game. I had to turn over to BBC.

Jimmy McGee is absolutely brutal, his commentary when somebody scores a goal is just bizarre, he just keeps talking as if it isn't a major turning point in the game. I had to turn over to BBC.

Come on now... its more entertaining than some of the match! Keeps some interest in it and he is on his own so cut him some slack!

Come on now... its more entertaining than some of the match! Keeps some interest in it and he is on his own so cut him some slack!

No i'm sorry it's just really poor stuff, his commentary is like a sideshow and it's embarrassing. Some of the quotes are funny but having to watch a whole match and listen to his bizarre ramblings is just excruciating. RTE should put him out to pasture and give a younger guy a chance.

Jimmy seems like a really nice man who has a huge love for sport, but he's just not up to it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I was listening to him the other day, and he was giving completely incorrect commentary about what was happening.

"he tried a volley there" - it wasn't a volley Jimmy, the ball was rolled to him on the ground.

etc.

He really needs to 'hang up his boots'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bring on Eamo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    Bring on Eamo!

Funk dat, bring on good aul' Bill O'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

"Are we going to the competition first? Yea. We'll go to the competition first"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

"When you're in a hole it's best to throw the shovel away."

Bill - '' Is that the worst french performance you have ever seen?''

Eamon - '' well i dont know, i havent seen them all''

haha gas:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

"The team that needed a helping hand to get to the World Cup now need a
    helping hand to stay in it." - Steve Wilson, BBC Sport

"The team that needed a helping hand to get to the World Cup now need a
    helping hand to stay in it." - Steve Wilson, BBC Sport

haha Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

What goes around. Comes around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Bill "Domenech is out early for the second half"

Eamo "Un bollicko Bill" He gave it to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

so what you're saying is you're dry and have no appreciation for comic gold

I was listening to him the other day, and he was giving completely incorrect commentary about what was happening.

"he tried a volley there" - it wasn't a volley Jimmy, the ball was rolled to him on the ground.

etc.

He really needs to 'hang up his boots'.

that wasn't jimmy magee. That was the guy who did the german game. Jimmy magees first game was today. i've been waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Whats the story with souness? Dont think I've seen him since his little slip up. Did he get the boot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No i'm sorry it's just really poor stuff, his commentary is like a sideshow and it's embarrassing. Some of the quotes are funny but having to watch a whole match and listen to his bizarre ramblings is just excruciating. RTE should put him out to pasture and give a younger guy a chance.

Jimmy seems like a really nice man who has a huge love for sport, but he's just not up to it anymore.

I hadn't heard him do a live game for years...decades...centuries, but I have to say it was impressive today.

He knew about Haruna and Nigerian and Greek players, as opposed to Giles "I have no idea really about these".

Commentators have notes that they can look to and reference without looking stupid on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Richy06 wrote: »
    Commentators have notes that they can look to and reference without looking stupid on live TV.

Try tell that to Ron Atkinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/sport-news/football/world-cup-2010-south-africa/06/17/serbian-tv-howler-over-late-keeper/commentator-refers-to-robert-enke-as-injured.html
    Commentator refers to "injured" Robert Enke

Vladimir Mijaljevic was commentating on Germany's opening win against Australia for Serbia’s biggest TV station, RTS, when he said: “Neuer is in goal, because Enke cannot play. He is injured.”
    Many Serbian viewers reacted in horror to the gaffe – they knew that goalkeeper Robert Enke committed suicide in November 2009.

The commentator’s lapse was slated on internet sites including Facebook. In the meantime, he commentated on the game between the Ivory Coast and Portugal.

Enke’s advisor and friend, Jörg Neblung, responded to the howler: "It was certainly not malicious or a bad joke. It was simply a case of someone not being informed. It’s hard to understand but these things can happen."
    Apart from the badly-informed commentator, there’s another issue for Serbia ahead of tomorrow’s game against Germany.

Ajax striker Marko Pantelic and Man Utd defensive star Nemanja Vidic apparently do not see eye to eye, although team spokesman Boskovic denied this: "A lie and an attack on the whole Serbian team!"
    The threat of a World Cup exit looms already for Serbia if they suffer a defeat at the hands of Germany.

Kinda put Souness' gaffe into perspective.

Iang87 wrote: »
    that wasn't jimmy magee. That was the guy who did the german game. Jimmy magees first game was today. i've been waiting

Ah, I thought it was him (didn't see the whole game) - bloomin' sounds like him!

That_Guy wrote: »
    Try tell that to Ron Atkinson.

But he's a geeeeeeza'!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Mick McCarthy on defence:

Forget reading the game, keep in front of the man and stay solid.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

What Nugget of a referee!!! - Souness LOL

• Advertisement

This referee is a clown, am i allowed to say that.

Mick commenting after klose sent off

"I still think this referee will have you booked if there's any chance of a shi..... bad tackle"

Mick. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm fairly sure Souness was asked about the ref there and said I'd give him 1 out of 10 for tying his shoe laces. He was terrible. Classic

BBC commentator for USA vs Slovenia (not Marin Keown, can't remember his name);

"I've always thought Bob Bradley had a bit of a look of Hannibal Lecter about him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

George Hamiltion just set back all the good work done to improve Anglo-Irish relations.

Around the 35th minute mark, the camera shows Princes William and Harry.

Trevor Stevens: Even the princes don't look happy.

George: At least its a long way from "off with their heads". :D

Bill just taking a quick break and then the second half of england algeria.

Match is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bill O just after the break talking about that odd bird (feathered variety)

"and the bird has obviously taken the view that perched on the Algerian goal is the safest place for him on the pitch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sorry if it's been posted already but this is pure comedy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Giles: I hate brainless players ... most wingers are brainless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Sousness : Normally you would be worried that Kjaer was standing out because he is blonde... but actually he is playing well

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Normally you would be worried that Kjaer was standing out because he is blonde... but actually he is playing well

Heard Souy come out with this gem earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement