Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

"To save the Danish Bacon"... Oh Bill!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Genius having Barbie at the end ! I assume in reference to sousness comments about Kjaer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Johnny Giles on Harry Kewell;

"Austrailia won't be smiling if it's hopes are resting on his shoulders."
    (On being told he's fit) "He's been saying that for years. How many games did he play for Liverpool? Two? He only plays in European finals. That's why he's fit now it's the World Cup finals."
    "He was a top class player at Leeds, he got his move to Liverpool, got his big contract and was never the same player, didn't contribute like he should have."

Well said Johnny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Did Didi say this?! "He was a great player at Leeds, went to Liverpool, got his big contract and decided he was injured every week."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Richy06 wrote: »
    Did Didi say this?! "He was a great player at Leeds, went to Liverpool, got his big contract and decided he was injured every week."

No no it's all Giles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didi was shamefully quiet as Giles did his usual "I haven't checked any facts so I'll trot out the usual ****e" stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    Didi was shamefully quiet as Giles did his usual "I haven't checked any facts so I'll trot out the usual ****e" stuff.

He was probably thinking 'last day of this shite, feck it (and dat), don't want to ruin the last night out with me bezzies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

On Ivory Coast - Brazil

Souness: "Its the best team in Africa against the best team in South America, maybe even the best in the world."

Bill: "You think Ivory Coast are the best team in the world?"

Souness just looked at Bill like he was stupid: "No, Bill"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Could be fireworks tonight in studio, between Dunphy & Souness.

I don't think they get on at all, remember the 'I've lived for 64 years baby' comment a while back?

Well tonight they have already disagreed about Brazil, Souness saying that this is the first time Brazil have played counter attacking football in a World Cup, Eamo jumped in straight away to contradict him and say that they played counter attacking football, with Dunga as captaiin in 94.

Souness was not impressed.....studio could be better than the match tonight!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Yeah I don't understand what Dunphy was playing at. Being really confrontational to Souness, lets Souness talk then buts in and rubbishes it.

I actually think Souness is a very good pundit. Must be hard for him to deal with a nutter like Dunphy as well tbf.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand what Dunphy was playing at. Being really confrontational to Souness, lets Souness talk then buts in and rubbishes it.

I actually think Souness is a very good pundit. Must be hard for him to deal with a nutter like Dunphy as well tbf.

Well he's more used to Richard Keys!

In fairness to Dunphy, he was dead right....Brazil haven't played samba football since 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

"thats 2 falls and a submission" - Lawrenson on foul in the box. LOL

murpho999 wrote: »
    Could be fireworks tonight in studio, between Dunphy & Souness.

I don't think they get on at all, remember the 'I've lived for 64 years baby' comment a while back?

Well tonight they have already disagreed about Brazil, Souness saying that this is the first time Brazil have played counter attacking football in a World Cup, Eamo jumped in straight away to contradict him and say that they played counter attacking football, with Dunga as captaiin in 94.

Souness was not impressed.....studio could be better than the match tonight!

They also disagreed about whether Sven's hands-off approach to management was a good thing.

Does seem to be a bit of tension there. Pointing out that Brazil had played counter-attacking football in one world cup (1994) was irrelevant to the point Souness was making. It was an exception.

Can someone explain why George Hamilton felt the need to tell us the colour of Arsene Wenger's trainers?

Can someone explain why George Hamilton felt the need to tell us the colour of Arsene Wenger's trainers?

Well there is nothing he could say about the match and apparently he's after a job on 'Off The Rails' or 'Expose' next year!

Red?

Red?

Black apparently, this is a surprise for George because they weren't white.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Red?

white, not black :eek:

He was talkin bollocks about Dunga's coat choice over the last two matches, too.

He was talkin bollocks about Dunga's coat choice over the last two matches, too.

Yes apparently Dunga is wearing a trench coat because he is down in the trenches with his team...

• Advertisement

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Yes apparently Dunga is wearing a trench coat because he is down in the trenches with his team...

And last season he looked like he was in the Brazilian navy in George's eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

*Souness on how when he lined up against teams, they all had older players who were able to calm down the youth players before the manager could give his talk during half time*

*Dunphy interrupts*

"Yeah! they kept a cool head! and another thing about that Liverpool team.. they were all ugly!,"

..got a laugh outta Souness and Bill.. and you thought they wouldnt get on :P

I wonder if he was mixing up Sven Goran Erickson with Wenger? Not that it really matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Mark Lawernson just called Guy Pearce a muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

joe123 wrote: »

I thought Lawrenson just called the fans doing the mexican wave "Muppets" LOL

joe123 wrote: »

Pot...Kettle...Black springs to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

"FIFA will destroy football in the end".. You cannot beat Dunphy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Souness is going to hit em

Its all kicking off between sousness and dunphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Its all kicking off between sousness and dunphy
    cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

agree with everything Souness said there, bang on the money imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ha great little head to head with Souness and Dunphy there discussing player power etc.

You just wouldn't get it on the beeb or ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

adamski8 wrote: »
    cringe!

...In my day you didn't get posts like this. You'd question the motives of some posters, even some top posters. It's all the thanks they have now, we didn't have them in my day...

cringe!

Do you mean cringe for your post?

That was great stuff between Souness & Dunphy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I enjoyed this one from earlier today:

Daragh Maloney: Why is it that the South American teams have been doing better in this world cup than the European teams?

Ossie Ardiles: Eh, its because we have the best players in the world.

Adebayor is describing exactly what happened on that bus! Its sad stuff

Ade probably the best pundit on the English channels so far by a mile.

Shame he is finished now for pre season. Detested the bloke beforehand, have some respect for him now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Adebayor is describing exactly what happened on that bus! Its sad stuff

Yeah emotional stuff. Funnily I'm finding the beebs coverage a little bizarre. Discuss a match, laugh and joke and then cut to a piece about apartheid. And then the Adebayor stuff. It just seems so uneven and at times out of place.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah emotional stuff. Funnily I'm finding the beebs coverage a little bizarre. Discuss a match, laugh and joke and then cut to a piece about apartheid. And then the Adebayor stuff. It just seems so uneven and at times out of place.

They probably just trying to keep in line with the England team!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dunphy: "FIFA constantly giving us these dum-dums for referees" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

sron wrote: »
    ...In my day you didn't get posts like this. You'd question the motives of some posters, even some top posters. It's all the thanks they have now, we didn't have them in my day...
    eh what?
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you mean cringe for your post?

That was great stuff between Souness & Dunphy!
    nope, both talking out their ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

eh what?

nope, both talking out their ass.

You've answered your own question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Not exactly punditry but I thaught this was pretty funny. :D

He looks pissed out of his mind towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

"the black lad up front for the swiss"

well done souey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

GS on rte talking about how immigrants help the Swiss get better. Yeah that black lad up front, I'd imagein with his name he is of African desent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

tdv123 wrote: »
    Not exactly punditry but I thaught this was pretty funny. :D

He looks pissed out of his mind towards the end.

Ironic thing is he did better with the beach ball than he did with the real one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brady: "I think Torres is the best centre forward in world football."

Bill: "Hmm, would you go along with that, John?"

Giles: "Nah, I think Messi, Bill. I think Messi has the lot."

Brady: "Messi's not a centre forward, John."

Giles: "Well he is."

Brady: "Nah, sure Higuain was centre forward for Argentina."

Giles: "Well, I accept he's not a centre forward in the accepted sense."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liam Brady saying before the match that he thinks Fernando Torres is the best striker in the world. Torres then goes on to miss some chances throughout the match

Bill to Brady after the match: "You know what was surprising as well. Your pal, Torres......"

Brady interupts him ..."Well he's out of form, Bill. What are you gonna say to me?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The RTE lads talking about John Terry's comments and Bill says "well, we'll keep an eye on developments...............like the Skibbereen Eagle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was only half paying attention at the time but did I hear Ray Houghton get the offside rule wrong today while co-commentating?

I think he said something like: "he would have been offside there because you need two defenders and the goalkeeper" or something like that...

Did anyone else hear the incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not sure about that, he keep going on about Villa being left footed? i could be wrong, but i could've sworn he's right footed?

Advertisement