Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards range day.

Options
  • 11-06-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Just putting this up to see what interest is out there for a day of shooting and maybe a bbq?

If we get enough replies or expressions of interest maybe a few of us could get busy organizing something.

So would you be interested in:

1. Attending.
    2. Helping out with planning.

Regards,
    Paj.

First poll, What date suits you? 34 votes

Sat 07/08/10
    0% 0 votes
    Sun 08/08/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sat 14/08/10
    0% 0 votes
    Sun 15/08/10
    5% 2 votes
    Sat 21/08/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sun 22/08/10
    8% 3 votes
    Sat 28/08/10
    0% 0 votes
    Sun 29/08/10
    47% 16 votes
    Sat 04/09/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sun 05/09/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sat 11/09/10
    0% 0 votes
    Sun 12/09/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sat 18/09/10
    2% 1 vote
    Sun 19/09/10
    8% 3 votes
    Sat 25/09/10
    0% 0 votes
    Sun 26/09/10
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Just putting this up to see what interest is out there for a day of shooting and maybe a bbq?

If we get enough replies or expressions of interest maybe a few of us could get busy organizing something.

1. Attending.

Regards,
    Paj.

It would have to be a sat for me, s I work Sundays
    I'd be on for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks pajero2005

1. Yes, definitely
    2. Yes, probably (work and family stuff dependant)

Just to throw in some suggested activities:

.22 Pistols
    C/F Pistols
    Smallbore 22 Sporter shoot
    Smallbore 22 ISSF shoot (Gives more lads a chance to try this and find out more about this exotic sport;):p)
    22 Benchrest Shoot
    Centrefire Shoot at 100 - 300yards
    Centrefire Shoot at 500 - 600yards
    Clays (Don't have a bogs-notion about clays!:o)

Would these give us pretty much something for everyone?

+BBQ so we can bring along the family (if needed / wanted / required) and invite along selected friends who may be interested to know more about us "gun-toting hillbilly rednecks" / "weapons-fetish wannabee sn1pers" (delete as applicable) and what we enjoy doing so much!:D:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

that sounds great dCorbus.

juice1304 wrote: »
    that sounds great dCorbus.

I am a Hill Bill and proud :D
    If we had a marquee it would be like a spin off of electric picnic.:D:D
    Anybody able to play guitar, cooooom ba ya!!
    Or AC/DC if you prefer

Has anyone asked the lads in the range though, we can't all just turn up!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Has anyone asked the lads in the range though, we can't all just turn up!;)

Easy there boy, Its been planned since 15:03, no point in ringinging range with only 3 up for it so far:D:D:D

Im in hopefully depending on date, hols in July. What catorgry does my 50cal fall under:D
    Im .223

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Dusty87 wrote: »
    What catorgry does my 50cal fall under:D

It falls into the "gun swap category" You get to use my .22wmr and I use your .50 cal:cool:
    Sorry Dusty87 but these are the rules, I don't make them up:D:D

"gun swap category"

Do we need to throw our car-keys into a bowl for that!?:D:D:eek:
    Has anyone asked the lads in the range though, we can't all just turn up

Not yet I presume, obviously - but we can / will need to cross that particular bridge when we get to it and have found out what level of interest there is and what kinds of events the venerable members of boards.ie shooting and all it's glorious sub-fora would like to see included, e.g. no point in approach the ranges before we know if there'll be 5, 10, 50, or 500 shooters turning up!:D

Let's get a handle on the numbers and events first - Then someone can put together a proposal to take to whichever venue ranges might suit.
    If we had a marquee it would be like a spin off of electric picnic

Without the booze of course!:p:(

But, good suggestion, tac - Have an idea about this but I'll need to do some more digging first. However, I'd suggest that if we don't need one - we don't get one (one less thing to worry about) - but, yes, would be good so that we could all mingle and chat whilst sheltered from the vagaries of the Irish climate/weather. And most ranges have limited indoor space TBH.
    Anybody able to play guitar, cooooom ba ya!!
    Or AC/DC if you prefer

OMG.....Nooooooooo!:p
    There's always "Michael, Row the Boat ashore" and other such happy-clappy tunes!:D

But in summary: Let's check out the numbers and the events to start with.

This may take some time to get properly organised and arranged and publicised, and since the Summer is pretty full each weekend with various shooting events and peoples holidays and school holidays etc etc, I'd suggest that we look to work toward a date in September? Weather should still be good, but the Summer-rush over. Also, give sufficient time to box everything off? What do ye all reckon?

As an afterthought, when does the Deer season reopen - It might be handy for some of the lads to use the shoots to get some range practice in before the opening day?

dCorbus wrote: »

Woah there no, this is not Boogie Nights ;)

Not yet I presume, obviously - but we can / will need to cross that particular bridge when we get to it and have found out what level of interest there is and what kinds of events the venerable members of boards.ie shooting and all it's glorious sub-fora would like to see included, e.g. no point in approach the ranges before we know if there'll be 5, 10, 50, or 500 shooters turning up!:D

Let's get a handle on the numbers and events first - Then someone can put together a proposal to take to whichever venue ranges might suit.

Without the booze of course!:p:(

But, good suggestion, tac - Have an idea about this but I'll need to do some more digging first. However, I'd suggest that if we don't need one - we don't get one (one less thing to worry about) - but, yes, would be good so that we could all mingle and chat whilst sheltered from the vagaries of the Irish climate/weather. And most ranges have limited indoor space TBH.

OMG.....Nooooooooo!:p
    There's always "Michael, Row the Boat ashore" and other such happy-clappy tunes!:D

But in summary: Let's check out the numbers and the events to start with.

This may take some time to get properly organised and arranged and publicised, and since the Summer is pretty full each weekend with various shooting events and peoples holidays and school holidays etc etc, I'd suggest that we look to work toward a date in September? Weather should still be good, but the Summer-rush over. Also, give sufficient time to box everything off? What do ye all reckon?

As an afterthought, when does the Deer season reopen - It might be handy for some of the lads to use the shoots to get some range practice in before the opening day?

1st sept all things going well, no sign of permits back yet so seasons can change so hard to be definitive.

My Da made hay in september last two years so we had good weather then too.

I'd try and get a deer, even a section as corn will be late this year so should be easier get a section before and have it hung in a chill for 21 days to mature nicely; when corn is scarce farmers won't want bambie eating their profit margin

I love a barbeque
    I was here before http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

Fantastic way of cooking

What is wrong with a bit of music after the shooting has stopped?
    I am friends with a roadie of the Blizzards(his nephew plays in the band), but that might be a bit lively for some of the older folk.

Easy now, I expect dinner and a movie first:p

Would a poll be any use? Give caliber(s) of choice for the day. Might help get a better handle on numbers and requirements on events, timing etc. That way people would be able to enter a few events if they so desired.

I was thinking of getting Crystal Swing on board for the day::eek::D

I'd suggest that we look to work toward a date in September? Weather should still be good, but the Summer-rush over. Also, give sufficient time to box everything off? What do ye all reckon?

September sounds good, we're always "guaranteed" a few good weeks in September.

Just something to be aware of, and to make sure the SOPTBWMBO* are happy and informed of this initiative (if it's decided to use the boards.ie name in any way for this event):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq#faq_bie_faq_boardsname
    In the past we have never had a problem with people using our name for forming groups or teams in the real world or for online games etc. Up until recently, there has never been any reason for us to have any concern over this. However, in light of some of the recent activity in a game promoted on our site and using our name, we feel that we need to have greater control over this in order to avoid a negative image for the site and it's members.

We're happy to allow people to use our name in association with their activity or team that has got together on our site and to promote it on our forums. We only ask that they do 2 things:

1) Let us know about it (even if it's just a quick PM to me to say what it is you're doing).
    Futher to this - if you are going as far as getting jerseys or badges or something done for your group with our logo and/or name on it, you definitely need to let us know. You never know, there might be a whole bunch of people who want to buy it outside of your own group!
    2) You would apply the same sort of guidelines to it as we have here on boards in relation to how people interact.

In effect, if you've got our name, you may find yourself subject to our rules. We will not be policing the internet, but if someone brings something to the attention of the Admins that has the boards.ie name attached to it and/or is being actively promoted on boards.ie, we *may* deem it appropriate to take action on our site arising from it (this would only be on a case by case basis as we don't see the need to have a definitive "rule" about it). In the past we have taken action against people who have harassed others in pubs on social nights out or who have taken to abuse others via another site cause they know they'd be banned for doing so here.

We find it regretable that we have to come up with such a ruling, but as the site has grown so much and continues to grow at a fantastic rate, we felt the need to put this in place.

Thank you very much for your time and understanding on this.

Can't see this as a major biggie - but worth checking out?

Mods - Any advice / input on this?

*Super Online Powers-That-Be Who Must Be Obeyed

• Advertisement

Just something to be aware of, and to make sure the SOPTBWMBO* are happy and informed of this initiative (if it's decided to use the boards.ie name in any way for this event):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq#faq_bie_faq_boardsname

Anything except Crystal swing!
    A range is a legal place for many to shoot, and barbies are non threatening to local establishments.

And if we raise money for the Jeckle and Hyde foundation a not so famous person will be pleased (think about that one):D

I was thinking of getting Crystal Swing on board for the day

F**k Nooooooooo!
    It's supposed to be day of enjoyment!:p:rolleyes:

And that wouldn't do anything to dispel the "hillbilly redneck" part of "gun-toting hillbilly redneck" myth!:D:D:D:rolleyes:
    Would a poll be any use? Give caliber(s) of choice for the day. Might help get a better handle on numbers and requirements on events, timing etc. That way people would be able to enter a few events if they so desired.

Yep, good idea.

Don't know how you'd set it up (multichoice maybe?):

- Preferred Month
    - Firearm of Choice (e.g. c/f rifle, smallbore rifle, c/f pistol, 22 pistol, revolver, shotty, etc)
    - Calibre wishing to be used

And maybe use my above prelim events suggestions in the poll to see what disciplines / events our posting community would be interested in?

Don't know how you'd set it up (multichoice maybe?):

- Preferred Month
    - Firearm of Choice (e.g. c/f rifle, smallbore rifle, c/f pistol, 22 pistol, revolver, shotty, etc)
    - Calibre wishing to be used

And maybe use my above prelim events suggestions in the poll to see what disciplines / events our posting community would be interested in?

I'm off to work now so I'll try set up a poll later.
    Toodle pip:D

Heading off down the far end of the country now - Won't be back online til tomorrow night at the earliest. Leave ye at it and will check back in over the weekend!:)

dC Out (for now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭fiattech

Hi that sounds like a good idea, you can count me in.

Heading off down the far end of the country now - Won't be back online til tomorrow night at the earliest. Leave ye at it and will check back in over the weekend!:)

dC Out (for now)

Well I might be on the Range tomorrow to give the glock a blow out, ages since i fired it. I keep forgetting to bring safety glasses as i don't need them for fullbore

I'll send out a few feelers to see what the response is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

pajero2005 wrote: »

1. Attending.

Regards,
    Paj.

i'm deffo up for it when and where. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For a social get-together and BBQ? Shouldn't be an issue if everyone's well-behaved :D If it hits critical mass, we'll run it past the online PTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

yea should be good
    just give plenty of notice to people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Sparks wrote: »
    For a social get-together and BBQ? Shouldn't be an issue if everyone's well-behaved :D If it hits critical mass, we'll run it past the online PTB.

??????

• Advertisement

endasmail wrote: »
    ??????

And what does BUMP mean?
    there was a fwe others quoted today by dCorbus that i did not know what they ment

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

if the dates suit ild be well up for it:D getting married so most of july is out for me but appart from that sounds good to me:cool:

There we are now lads, Range first and off to Doyles wedding after for the beers. Kill two birds with the one cartridge so to speak:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds good to moi.Suggest,maybe an Evilll black gun shoot as well.So folks can see that they have sporting purposes and are not needing daily exorsisms of their resident demons.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Et moi aussi - date depending....:D ;)

LB6 wrote: »
    Et moi - date depending....:D ;)

You can come, but we can't supply you a date. You may get your own ;)
    only messing, what format do you think it should take?

LB6 wrote: »
    Et moi - date depending....:D ;)
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sounds good to moi.Suggest,maybe an Evilll black gun shoot as well.So folks can see that they have sporting purposes and are not needing daily exorsisms of their resident demons.

Tu Parle Anglais??
    I decided to try learn french incase i ever met Theirry Henry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I see trouble acoming here.
    Fcuksake - lads can't even get on together on this forum and they don't know who is whom. I foresee punch-ups in the jax or handbags at 50 paces.

catfight120607.jpg

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Tu Parle Anglais??
    I decided to try learn french incase i ever met Theirry Henry:D

Do ya want to go for a shot in the morning Dusty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Gee thanks Tack - don't think I'll have a problem dragging the other half with me!

Think first of all a couple of polls should be done to see what date suits the majority and 2nd one to see what everyone shoots. Then just pick a few of those top categories and concentrate on them so that we won't all be scattered around the place and maybe miss something else that maybe we'd also like to try out.

Advertisement