Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards range day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

When choosing a date I would appreciate it if people would be cognisant of existing scheduled matches.

It will help ensure you do not clash with something and cause problems for people.

the NASRPC Competition Calendar can be found at http://www.nasrpc.ie/Calendar%202009.htm

The other associations will be sure to highlight theirs too.,

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Have just checked the NTSA website and the NASRPC site to see what events they may be holding during September. Not an exhaustive list, I know:

(No events posted in the Calender section on the NRAI website, well not since July 2009......hint, hint, lads.....maybe an update.....nudge, nudge!;):rolleyes:)

- The NASRPC have an event on Sat. & Sun. 25th & 26th Sept.
    - The NRAI have stuff on Sun 12th and Sun 26th (That I know of)
    - The NTSA have their Autumn Indoor comp on Sun 19th Sept.
    - The LRRAI don't seem to have anything scheduled for September AFAIK
    - Likewise, the VCRAI don't have anything scheduled for September AFAIK (Maybe Kryten, Sikamick, or Bunnyshooter can check this?)
    - However, I don't know what Clay / Hunting / Gunclub events may be on in September, so perhaps someone could check these other disciplines out and let us know?

So, that leaves the following dates free without any clashes (based on what I can find out so far):

Sunday 5th Sept.
    Saturdays, 4th, 11th and 18th

I would suggest that this event be held on a Saturday - as many, if not all, the clubs and organisations have something on one or other of the Sundays in September (It's great to see such a busy shooting calender TBH - Very healthy indeed!:D)

My vote would be for Saturday 18th, TBH, to give us time to sort out all the details and make sure we can give enough notice to whichever range can take us. My €0.02:)

I see trouble acoming here.
    Fcuksake - lads can't even get on together on this forum and they don't know who is whom. I foresee punch-ups in the jax or handbags at 50 paces.

Hey clivej....does that mean you're not in?:p:D

Okey dokey, just done a quick tot-up of the posters who've expressed an interest so far (in no particular order, other than "in order of appearance":D):

1. Pajero2005
    2. Tackleberrywho
    3. dCorbus
    4. Juice1304
    5. Dusty87
    6. fiattech
    7. poulo6.5
    8. endasmail
    9. doyle61
    10. Grizzly 45
    11. LB6
    12. pedroeibar1
    13. homerhop
    14. Odysseus
    15. It wasn't me!
    16. Bunny shooter
    17. No 6
    18. dwighet
    19. sikastag

So that's only 19 so far!
    Plenty of names conspicuous by their absence from the above list!!;):D

(At least fifteen from the Prequel to this thread! And a couple of names from the great and glorious Moderating Squadron who I can think of!! Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more, Say no more!:D:rolleyes:)
    Come on! Enlist now - Your forum needs you!:D;)
    Your_Boards_Needs_You-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    Okey dokey, just done a quick tot-up of the posters who've expressed an interest so far (in no particular order, other than "in order of appearance":D):

1. Pajero2005
    2. Tackleberrywho
    3. dCorbus
    4. Juice1304
    5. Dusty87
    6. fiattech
    7. poulo6.5
    8. endasmail
    9. doyle61
    10. Grizzly 45
    11. LB6
    12. pedroeibar1
    13. homerhop
    14. Odysseus
    15. It wasn't me!
    16. Bunny shooter
    17. No 6
    18. dwighet
    19. sikastag

So that's only 19 so far!
    Plenty of names conspicuous by their absence from the above list!!;):D

(At least fifteen from the Prequel to this thread! And a couple of names from the great and glorious Moderating Squadron who I can think of!! Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more, Say no more!:D:rolleyes:)
    Come on! Enlist now - Your forum needs you!:D;)
    Your_Boards_Needs_You-1.jpg

Well I'll be there,depending on where THERE is :D

Has anyone got a venue?? Officially??

• Advertisement

Sheesh, tac, would ya stop putting the cart before the proverbial horse!
    How can we expect to approach a venue and be taken in anyway seriously before we know:

a. When we want to do it
    b. How many are likely to turn up
    c. What we're planning to do

To go to any range or venue without that information (at least in prelim form) would very much risk being shown the door or not be taken as a serious request.

E.g. I would very much doubt that any range will facilitate this event without some costs involved, so in order that this could in any be discussed realistically, numbers would have to be known. And frankly, 19 probables / possibles is way too few to make such an event viable.

So, lets keep our powder dry, shall we? And not go off half-cocked? And focus on the target? (Can't think of any more firearms related puns)

(PS Can ya please stop quoting entire posts? Brevity is the.......
    Hard to keep scrolling down! Glad I'm not on my blackberry!)

:p:D

OK new post :D

I was in my local range today, I forgot to mention it as I was too busy working.

I might mention at weekend. If we had it as a charity shoot lots would turn up.
    Offaly Hospice on behalf of the late Gilbert Carey perhaps.

A good start is half the work ;)

I was in my local range today, I forgot to mention it as I was too busy working.

I might mention at weekend. If we had it as a charity shoot lots would turn up.
    Offaly Hospice on behalf of the late Gilbert Carey perhaps.

It's not really my place, but......
    I would strongly advise against doing that!

Again, I must reiterate that we get one bite of the cherry with this.
    When a range is approached, it should be done in a professional and respectful manner - otherwise, why should they take us seriously with our request to use their facilities?

Did you not read my post about keeping your powder dry, not going off half-cocked, etc etc.?

Ok, maybe, this is not my job and no-one died and made me god etc., but perhaps if anyone thinks this is a good idea (at this stage), please let us know? Otherwise, can we please please please not be heading off on solo-runs?
    A good start is half the work

No, tac......Did you never hear the one "fail to plan, plan to fail" - a good start does not mean starting the job before you even know what it is you're supposed to be starting or for that matter finishing up with.

To use another oft-quoted cliche: "Less haste, more speed"!;)

It's not really my place, but......
    I would strongly advise against doing that!

Again, I must reiterate that we get one bite of the cherry with this.
    When a range is approached, it should be done in a professional and respectful manner - otherwise, why should they take us seriously with our request to use their facilities?

Did you not read my post about keeping your powder dry, not going off half-cocked, etc etc.?

Ok, maybe, this is not my job and no-one died and made me god etc., but perhaps if anyone thinks this is a good idea (at this stage), please let us know? Otherwise, can we please please please not be heading off on solo-runs?

No, tac......Did you never here the one "fail to plan, plan to fail" - a good start does not mean starting the job before you even know what it is you're supposed to be starting or for that matter finishing up with.

To use another oft-quoted cliche: "Less haste, more speed"!;)

As I said dC I never mentioned a thing, I was too busy on a Dumper ;)

Anyway, must retire now, work at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

all sounds likw great craic,count me in if not working.
    50m .22 benchrest suits as i no longer have my evil glock
    might even try clay with me new shottie.
    great idea,,just on the whole thing,,do ye think we could nominate a charity and charge 10 euro and donate that,would be a good publicity thing. also invite someone from that charity to come along with some newspapers or even tv. nationwide or something like that,or rte tv3 sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If i can attend I will - schedule is pretty full though.

Herself cannot understand how I already know what I am doing most Saturday mornings in November.

As with all shoots I would like to take part in.

Sporting Clays
    ABT or DTL Clays
    Smallbore Benchrest Rifle
    Smallbore Gallery Rifle
    Smallbore pistol
    Fullbore pistol
    Centrefire Gallery Rifle

I have not shot Prone Rifle (NASRPC Sporting or ISSF) Rifle before and do not have a fullbore rifle yet.

That should keep me going for the day - not asking much am I :-)

i would recommend that you identify WHAT you want to do first as that will inform WHERE you can do it and WHEN.

The more you do the more people you need to work it - Range Safety Officers - not a problem provided you have the cover arranged well in advance. If you have any sort of decent numbers and a lot of events you will need to keep pushing people through to keep it on schedule.

The charity thing is a good idea but I would answer the other questions first. Obviously the Host range would have to be in agreement.

The Media thing is also a good idea but must be managed properly - they have no interest in showing the good side of target shooting.
    Obviously the host range would need to be in agreement.

My 2c

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

daveob007 wrote: »
    ..............g with some newspapers or even tv. nationwide or something like that,or rte tv3 sport.

Bad idea IMO. Media should be invited only if and when the hosts have arranged and agreed between themselves a prepared script. Most of us do not know each other, our first meeting is not a time for media presence.
    FWIW
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i will go if can,baby due eary sep:) so its up to him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hey clivej....does that mean you're not in?:p:D

I'll be there. You can't keep me away from a good CAT fight don't you know.
    Just as well no ones knows me there.;);) I'll sneek in the back door, by Hook or by Crook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Never shot in a target club before but this sounds like a cool day out. Would be great if I had the .308 by then!

clivej wrote: »
    I'll be there. You can't keep me away from a good CAT fight don't you know.
    Just as well no ones knows me there.;);) I'll sneek in the back door, by Hook or by Crook

Not true Clive ;) Bunny posted a pic a few months back with you in it ;)

:D
    Not true Clive ;) Bunny posted a pic a few months back with you in it ;)

Had plastic surgery done I now look like dwighet. I no I no. I wanted a Prad Pitt job done but could only afford a cheap job:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I know the cut of your jib clivej.. I'll spot ye:D

Oh ye but then you'll spot me:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

clivej wrote: »
    :D

Had plastic surgery done I now look like dwighet. I no I no. I wanted a Prad Pitt job done but could only afford a cheap job:D

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

i will go if can,baby due eary sep:) so its up to him:D

Hmmmm. Almost nine months, so I guess you will not be shooting from the prone position?;)
    P.

• Advertisement

I know the cut of your jib clivej.. I'll spot ye:D

Oh ye but then you'll spot me:eek::D

:pYour back Ivan.:p

Though you were overseas????? :D

Just been doing some more checking of calenders etc. to see what shooting events may be being held during the period suggested.

It turns out that both the NASRPC and the NRAI will have events on the weekend of 28th August.

I see that this date is currently leading in the poll - but I'd suggest that seeing as a very large number of posters may wish to attend one or the other or both these events, we should really avoid clashing with already organised shooting events.

It would make no sense to be adding to the already-clashing events of that weekend, by adding our own informal event into the mix.

Updated "interested" list:

1. Pajero2005
    2. Tackleberrywho
    3. dCorbus
    4. Juice1304
    5. Dusty87
    6. fiattech
    7. poulo6.5
    8. endasmail
    9. doyle61
    10. Grizzly 45
    11. LB6
    12. pedroeibar1
    13. homerhop
    14. Odysseus
    15. It wasn't me!
    16. Bunny shooter
    17. No 6
    18. dwighet
    19. sikastag
    20. Bananaman
    21. clivej
    22. Hibrion
    23. daveob007
    24. ghostmantra
    25. Scalachi
    26. fish slapped

Up to 24 26 - We're getting there - but still not at critical mass yet!;):D
    Still gonna need more bodies to make this a viable and worthwhile event TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Hmmmm. Almost nine months, so I guess you will not be shooting from the prone position?;)
    P.

It never stopped me!!!:D

dcorbus,

you can add me to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

As for Clive well,

pre face job:

FunnyMamaLuvsMe.jpg

and post job:

Avatars_Funny_Monkey_with_Glasses.jpg

looking good Clive lad, looking gooood!

Just a couple of more ideas on this:

Firstly, I'd say that the whole range day-out would need to be kept as simple and as streamlined as possible, for obvious time and organisational reasons.

There's no need for us to get all competitive on the day - there's plenty of competitions out there, if we need that. So, I'd suggest a couple of catch-all "inter-disciplinary" / "inter-calibre" events, which would keep everyone equally happy / unhappy!:D

e.g. Keeping it nice a general:

50m Rimfire / Smallbore "Benchrest" Shoot (.17's, .22lr's, Bolt Action, S/A, everything that's a smallbore rifle, etc.) - Anything goes, sporters, benchresters, target rifles, scopes, open sights - Whatever you like, as long as it's smallbore and you shoot it off the bench!
    50m Rimfire / Smallbore Prone Shoot (.17's, .22lr's, Bolt Action, S/A, everything that's a smallbore rifle, etc.) - Anything goes, sporters, benchresters, target rifles, scopes, open sights - Whatever you like, as long as it's smallbore and you shoot it prone either with a sling and a gimp suit or off the bipod or off the elbow or whatever you fancy!
    100yd Rimfire / Smallbore Prone Shoot (.17's, .22lr's, Bolt Action, S/A, everything that's a smallbore rifle, etc.) - Anything goes, sporters, benchresters, target rifles, scopes, open sights - Whatever you like, as long as it's smallbore and you shoot it prone either with a sling and a gimp suit or off the bipod or off the elbow or whatever you fancy!
    100 & 200yd Fullbore Prone Shoot (i.e. Everything Fullbore Riflelike, .223, .308, 300WSM, .50, .338, .25-06, .30-06, .270, .220 Swift, etc. etc. etc.) - Anything goes, sporters, target rifles, scopes, open sights - Whatever you like, as long as it's fullbore and you shoot it prone either with a sling and a gimp suit or off the bipod or off the elbow or whatever you fancy!
    .22 pistol shoot - simple COF (Need more input on this one from pistol shooters)
    C/F pistol shoot - simple COF (Need more input on this one from pistol shooters)
    300 & 600yd Fullbore Prone Shoot (i.e. Everything Fullbore Riflelike, .223, .308, 300WSM, .50, .338, .25-06, .30-06, .270, .220 Swift, etc. etc. etc.) - Anything goes, sporters, target rifles, scopes, open sights - Whatever you like, as long as it's fullbore and you shoot it prone either with a sling and a gimp suit or off the bipod or off the elbow or whatever you fancy!

And then some shotgun shooting too. Need ideas on that one too!

So that's a couple of very generalised events, which should have something for everyone in there!

Bear in mind, that that's at least 9 events (excluding the shotgun events), so it would be a very packed day of shooting indeed!

Again, let's keep in mind why we're doing this - To meet up, shoot the breeze, get to know each other a bit better, and have some fun! (Some healthy competition too - but let's leave the real competition for the real competitions!;))

What think ye?

Oh, and BTW, in order to get any range to host us, all shooters will have to have a licence for the firearm they are using and will have to have insurance!:eek::)

(AFAIK No range in the land would allow us to do otherwise - and we cannot expect them to "bend any rules", even if they could, which they can't)

A general free-for-all of gun-swapping, whilst it would be very nice indeed, cannot be envisaged for the obvious legal and insurance reasons. So if anyone thinks that this is what this event might be......maybe a reassessment might be in order!?;):D

Although drooling and heavy-petting of lovely lovely firearms would, i'm sure be allowed!:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What think ye?
    I think there's "competition" and there's "social event" and mixing the two up rarely works in practice, especially if there's anyone there who's competitive in nature :D
    Some of the better days out we've had in the past (which tended to just happen rather than be organised) were at events the more competitive amongst us had never tried before, so the element of "must win!" was diluted enormously.

Lots of BBQ food and a sunny day helps too.

+1 sparks on that.

Let's "have the crack" (in a safe and responsible manner of course) and enjoy a days shooting enjoyment in the company of our fellow shooters.

Still working on the weather side of things - No guarantees, but I'll see what I can do.

BTW, does this mean we can count you into the pot, sparks ;)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No idea dCorbus. Cake day is right before that window, so I have no idea what I'm doing around then.

Advertisement