Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 1GB enough data

Options
  • 11-06-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

I have the option of an 18 month contract with 200mins and 200txts with 10gb per month internet for €35 Per month on Meteor Connect.

The other option is 12months with the same minutes and texts but with 1gb of data for €35 also.

Iv never really used the web on my phone so dont really know how much i would use.Is 10gb over kill would i use it. My main use would probably be GPS, Downloading apps and general surfing websites (Not to heavily though as i have home internet aswell.)

Would 1gb per month suit me ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I have a 1 gb data on o2. I have my gps constantly on, all of my instant messangers constantly running, email updating always and surf the internet quite a bit as well on it. I never get close to 1gb each month.
    1 gig will be loads unless you plan on using your phone as a router for your laptop or streaming lots of video

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I would go with the 10gb just to be safe a couple of videos and some surfing will soon eat up 1gb, had a work phone and i got stung with a bill for €160 for data use outside of the allowence this was on O2, meteor maybe different but better safe than sorry esp if your gatting a smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^^ Two conflicting opinions. Wish i could try both plans for a month to see what theyre like!

Are you entitled to an upgrade when your contract expires or is it every 12 months? I presume its when your contracts up but id like a bit of clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I use the net on my phone for at least a couple of hours every day and have never come anywhere near using 1 Gb a month. Use Opera Mini to browse and it really cuts down on page size

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hogzy wrote: »
    ^^^ Two conflicting opinions. Wish i could try both plans for a month to see what theyre like!

Are you entitled to an upgrade when your contract expires or is it every 12 months? I presume its when your contracts up but id like a bit of clarification!
    Stick with 1gb and get yourself a good data app tracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

TBH i think im going to go with the 1gb option. I wont be doing serious surfing as i have my home connection for that. I just dont want to have to worry about paying extortionate prices if i do need to use the net! Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've 250mb package with meteor.

Barley use the whole lot with the Hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I think you'll be fine with 1 GB.

A year is long enough to be tied to one phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have 250mb allowance on O2. I dont stream videos and the most I have ever used in a month is 12mb! I use Opera Mini and the GMail app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol well as every one else said if your not a fan of youtube and u wont use your phone as a router alot 1GB is alot...anyway you can always check ur usage online :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1GB is loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I wouldn't find 1gb is enough but it really does depend on what you use it for :o If you can connect to wifi a lot, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

small piece of advice if anyone is tethering:
    track your usage folks, last month I went over the 1gb limit, it was something like 300mb.
    Last day of my cycle I went online to check my usage: 1250 quid :eek::eek::eek:

thankfully there is new EU law caping max charge at 50e (default) or any amount you want, you just need to ring your operator and say how much you want to set your cap to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

docentore wrote: »

thankfully there is new EU law caping max charge at 50e (default) or any amount you want, you just need to ring your operator and say how much you want to set your cap to.

I may be wrong, but is that not for roaming as opposed to on your home network?

Does anyone have a link to the legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its while roaming yes. Its not in effect yet, it should be from july first. I think the default is €60.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Gillo wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but is that not for roaming as opposed to on your home network?

Does anyone have a link to the legislation?

no, I've got the bill in the post few days later and it was 50e on top of my regular bill. Believe I would noticed the difference on my bank account ;)

Advertisement