Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

touched by madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Tipsygypsy wrote: »

How Im going to manage to do any of that now that the kids are off school is a total mystery. It also means that I cant use my gym for the moment so its time to learn some weights stuff I can do at home - my Davina DVD maybe getting the dust cleaned off it yet!

Well done on your race today - pb-tastic!

I too am wondering how I'm going to manage once the kids are off (from wednesday). I have them signed up for a few summer camps so some weeks will be ok.....but other than that, I have visions of me running around a field & making the two of them play football in the middle. OR evening runs after bedtime I suppose, I imagine after spending the whole day with the little darlings I'll be dying to get out the door for some headspace, knackered or not!
    Mine are 3.5 and 7, how about you?

Transform on here has an excellent blog with some home workouts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I too am wondering how I'm going to manage once the kids are off (from wednesday). I have them signed up for a few summer camps so some weeks will be ok.....but other than that, I have visions of me running around a field & making the two of them play football in the middle. OR evening runs after bedtime I suppose, I imagine after spending the whole day with the little darlings I'll be dying to get out the door for some headspace, knackered or not!
    Mine are 3.5 and 7, how about you?

I have three boys - 2.5, 5, and nearly 8. I have the older two booked in to two weeks of summer camps, and we'll be in Portugal for a week (during which Im due a 9 miler - ouch), but the other 5 weeks are going to be hard to sort out. I reckon anytime anyone comes to visit Im just going to have to run out the door!
    We're in a similar situation to you because my husband also runs, and is doing to adidas series with me and then going on to do the DCM, so this whole house revolves around how we can both get our training done, and thats only going to get more hectic as the weeks go by. Ah we'll manage somehow. Theres always obsticles of some sort and you just have to find a way around them.
    Pity we dont live in the same part of the country, we could do a timeshare on the kiddies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's tough living in a two running parent household with kids, but it's definitely easier than living in a one running parent household as you learn to take turns! Congrats on the new PB. You'll love the Adidas series.

It's tough living in a two running parent household with kids, but it's definitely easier than living in a one running parent household as you learn to take turns! Congrats on the new PB. You'll love the Adidas series.

We know all about that around here. I used to be the 'non-running parent' waiting (with foot tapping) for the 'running parent' to get the hell home from his 2 hour long run as dinner burnt to a crisp in the oven. I did try to be understanding but there were times it got frustrating. But you know what they say, if you cant beat them....

Yesterday (Monday - post race rest day) - My back was in not great shape by yesterday afternoon, I was getting pretty worried until I spent a half hour doing yoga which pretty much sorted me out. I'll have to make sure I include plenty of back stretching in my post race stretches from now on. I think I'll be trying to do a good bit of yoga every day to try to keep on top of it.

Tuesday - was supposed to be 3 mile run but I cut it short at 2 miles - my knees were aching, had to walk for a couple of minutes, I think I took the first mile too fast when really this was supposed to be recovery day.
    Tomorrow was supposed to be a 2 miler so I might do 3 to make up for today.

Wednesday 30th - 3 miles (plan says 2 but had to add one on to make up for yesterday). Felt much better about the whole thing today, knees nearly better, no back problems, just me and the driving rain. I really love running in the lashing rain, got absolutely soaked but really enjoyed it. Going to do half an hour of yoga once the kids go to bed - doesnt quite make up for the fact that I missed my weights session this morning, but its better than nothing.

• Advertisement

Good for you. I am taking it easy this week and just doing the 3 runs (and pilates on monday). I just felt the whole 6 days "on" catching up me ifykwim....looking fwd to getting out tomorrow but will have to wait till Raycun gets home because of blasted school hols! I haven't run outside my usual timeframe in months....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I love the running in the rain too!

Just wanted to quickly add that my total milage for June came to 47.4, (may was 33.5, before that I didn't keep track) estimated plan for July has me at 60+. Small potatoes for most of you folks but Not something I would ever have imagined myself doing, so im pretty damn pleased with myself!!!

Thursday 1st July - 3 miles, third day running in a row is still tough for me, first two miles were good but I struggled again on the last mile. Left knee has been niggling on and off for the past few days so will ice and elevate for a while tonight. Will also spend a good half hour on yoga again tonight, for the sanity as much as for the stretchiness!
    Tomorrow is supposed to be yoga class but wont make it with no-one to mind kids, so will do more yoga at home (not even close to as good as the class, she pushes me alot harder than I push myself).

I read somewhere that you're not really a true yoga practioner until you can do yoga yourself at home ........so you're actually doing well.

I'm the same though I'm really easy on myself when I do it at home! And it never seems to flow as well as when I'm doing it in class. Its better than nothing though! :)

• Advertisement

Friday 2 July - Half hour of yoga - had a very lazy day!
    Saturday 3 July - Nada, rest day (should have been cross training but had no childminding options and was too wrecked by the time they went to bed!)
    Sunday 4 July - 6 miles long very slow run - this was one of those days where I was really tempted to not go out, that wind was giving me a very convenient excuse, thankfully I decided to suck it up and just go for it!. Took it really easy and enjoyed it for the most part, ran a route Id never done before (to get shelter from the mad wind). The more exposed parts were really tough against that wind, but I really enjoyed it, and while it wasnt exactly easy, it was certainly more comfortable than either of the other 2 times I did this distance. Overall very happy with my progress even if I am as slow as Christmas

So plan for this week:
    Monday: stretch and strength - will do lots of yoga to fix myself back up after todays efforts!
    Tuesday: 3 miles
    Wednesday: 2 miles + cross training (probably wont get to the gym with kids off school so not sure what this will be)
    Thursday: 3 miles
    Friday: yoga/strength
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 6.5 mile

Well done on the 6 miles TG, I also did mine sllllooooooowwww but I hear this is a good thing :)

Great stuff on the 6 mile!

I'm envious of your progress. I'll have a lot of catching up to do when I get back from my holiday nut I'll be using this thread as a mark for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done on your pb TG. Are you doing Streets of Galway in August? It's a lovely race, really flat and a great atmosphere. I was narrowly beaten by a man dressed as a cow last year!

I tried to write this post twice today but lost them both before I submitted them - I blame my laptop entirely - cant possibly have been my fault! Anyway, here goes
    littlebug wrote: »
    Well done on your pb TG. Are you doing Streets of Galway in August? It's a lovely race, really flat and a great atmosphere. I was narrowly beaten by a man dressed as a cow last year!

Lol Littlebug, theres a mental image for the day. I wont be around of the streets of Galway (will be busy sunning myself in Portugal:D), am sorry to be missing it though because it sounds like good craic - will have to consult the events calender from now on before booking hols. Hopefully will be around for it next year.

So, today: 3.5 miles - wasn't fully convinced I should have gone out today because I was awake for alot of last night with a sore throat and ears - and then saw the rain this morning. But I managed to get out in between showers and stayed reasonably dry and was really glad I went out because for the first time ever ever in history I finished a mile in under 10 minutes:):):):) - this I am ecstatic about because its been a goal for me for ages, and its not so long ago that it was taking me 13-14 minutes per mile so this is real progress for me. Total 3.5 miles took 36.21 which is probably my fastest pace so far too. So Im all happy with myself!

This evening - 2 miles in 19:47, woohoo, thats 2 whole miles in a row under 10 minutes! Whoda thunk it?! Very pleased with it that, couldnt have stayed at that pace much longer, but I have to say Im very encouraged by my recent progress. Am happily pondering how much faster I will be when I drop this stone thats keeping my BMI at 'overweight'!

Ive paid dearly this morning for my run yesterday:(. My back was buckled when I woke up this morning and it took me ages to get moving properly, so Im skipping this mornings 3.5 miles and opting for some yoga to try and unravel it, hope to do the 3.5 tomorrow instead. I have to, have to, have to remember to spend time doing back stretches afer EVERY run, especiallly when Ive pushed myself.
    Bad Tipsy:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Am enjoying your log! It's great that there are a few of us on or around the same training page. Am also doing the race series and am so tempted to sign up for the full marathon. We'll see how it goes. Am on week 4 of HH half marathon training plan - it's going okay so far, the long run this week is 5 miles. I'm afraid to look further down the sheet!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I tried to write this post twice today but lost them both before I submitted them - I blame my laptop entirely - cant possibly have been my fault!

I found that by the time I had a post composed, spell and idiot checked, that the server had timed out on me. So now I do my creative bit in Word and then cut and paste into a blank post when it is time to share my enlightenment with the world.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Am enjoying your log! It's great that there are a few of us on or around the same training page. Am also doing the race series and am so tempted to sign up for the full marathon. We'll see how it goes. Am on week 4 of HH half marathon training plan - it's going okay so far, the long run this week is 5 miles. I'm afraid to look further down the sheet!! :)

Yeh I really though hard about the DCM but decided to be sensible and leave it for this year, from 0 to 26 miles in one year is just too much for this body. But if all goes well with the half Ill look at doinf the full sometime next year (having said that Im still following the DCM novice mentored thread with a bit more interest than I said)!
    The fathest Ive done so far is 6.2 miles and I do have a bit of a mental barrier about how Im going to get up past that - but sure we'll cross that bridge when whe come to it!
    I found that by the time I had a post composed, spell and idiot checked, that the server had timed out on me. So now I do my creative bit in Word and then cut and paste into a blank post when it is time to share my enlightenment with the world.

Thanks MCS, I'll give that a go - I always come on thinking Ill just put a quick update and then end up waffling on for ages - just like today.... feel free to tell me to shut up anytime!

This morning - 3.5 miles 38+ minutes, was using imapmyrun (must read instructions properly some time) and phone rang twice and knocked it off, so not exactly sure what I did, what it did record had my pace at 11:20/mile. Took it nice and easy and had no more back trouble but Im off now to do a half hour of yoga just to be sure.

• Advertisement

Yeh I really though hard about the DCM but decided to be sensible and leave it for this year, from 0 to 26 miles in one year is just too much for this body. But if all goes well with the half Ill look at doinf the full sometime next year (having said that Im still following the DCM novice mentored thread with a bit more interest than I said)!
    The fathest Ive done so far is 6.2 miles and I do have a bit of a mental barrier about how Im going to get up past that - but sure we'll cross that bridge when whe come to it!

The longest I've ever done in 7.5mi...and that was *just* before my 2 weeks off injury :eek:
    No way Hosé am I am doing DCM. Once I get this half done I'm going to ease off on the running and try crossfit I think, or maybe training with Dominic/Transform....
    IF I do a marathon I think I will make it a destination one, and maybe in 2013 for turning 40...

Been nearly a week since i had a chance to log in, missed my LSR on Sunday, had a last minute weekend away (without my kids:D) to see my new baby nephew and took advantage of the childlessness by going out both Friday and Saturday nights, between the hangovers and the journey times I just couldnt fit running in.

So...
    Suday 11th - missed cos Im a lazy drunk
    Monday 12th - rested
    Tuesday 13th - 4 miles
    Wednesday 14th - missed my optional 2 Miles due to sick stomach:mad:
    Thursday 15th - 4 miles

Tomorrow is gentle yoga day and then Saturday is the Adidas Series 5 mile in the Pheonix park, really looking forward to this. (Im secretly hoping for 52:30, shh dont tell anyone)

Saturday 17th July
    :DYay me:D, chip time for todays Irish Runner (not quite) 5 mile was 49:23, which greatly exceeded expectations even with the missing .1 of a mile so I am OVER THE MOOOOOOOON. I was originally planning to go in at the top of the third wave, but felt really good about things this morning so hopped in at the back of the second wave, didnt want to be one of 'those' folks getting in other peoples' way so was delighted to discover that I was the passer and not the passee! I actually was in exactly the right place, had very few people speeding past me and didnt have too much trouble with people slowing me, comparing to the womens mini marathon this was spacious and roomy:p. Very proud of myself that Im a second wave gal, but onwards and upwards, planning to be in the first wave next year!
    Bit wrecked now because had to face the drive back west with kiddies in tow afterwards, looking forward to my bed.
    Next challenge is the 10 mile in the Pheonix Park - this is a much bigger challenge to me. Most I've ran so far was 6.2 and I'll be on family Hols in Portugal for 9 days between now and then, will be tough to fit in training there (not to mention hot). Will look at target time for that tomorrow when the post race euphoria wears off - have learnt the hard way not to make any big decisions during the first 12 hours after a good race! (ie signing up for half marathons and suchlike).

Right this weeks plan July 18th to 25th
    Sunday - whole heap of yoga
    Monday - rest/gentle cross
    Tuesday - 4 Miles
    Wednesday - 2 miles & cross
    Thursday - 4 miles
    Friday - yoga
    Saturday - cross
    Sunday - 7 miles

Here we go again!

Tuesday 20th - supposed to be 4 miles but had one of those days where I felt like everything was against me - had brought a small bottle of water that tasted like mould, iphone was stuck repeating 'you should be mine' by Guns n Roses - okay once but by the third repeat it was getting on my nerves and I couldnt make the repeating stop, so tried to turn on the radio which wouldnt work either, kept having to stop the imapmyrun to fiddle with the music. Eventually worked out how to make it stop repeating (eldest son will NOT be playing with my phone again!). My whole body just felt like lead, and I was just drowning in negativety, so I turned back after 1.5 miles - total of 3 miles done. Came home and had a nap on the couch and feel a million times better. Im hoping that its all down to all the crap Ive eaten since Saturday - finding it tough to get back on track food wise - suffering from a serious case of 'cant be arsed'.
    Off to make a healthy stir fry now and going to have an early night tonight and hopefully get my act together tomorrow and start back on the happy, positive, motivated buzz again.

Well done on your race Mrs 2ndwaver!
    Sorry about yesterday, sounds very frustrating, hope today goes better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on Saturday!
    And we all have off days when training, the weather, the roadworks, upset tummy, heavy legs..... we can't be 'elite' every day :cool:

Hopefully you'll feel better on your next run!

Well, it took until Thursday to get my motivation back, I spent Tuesday evening and Wednesday mostly sitting around and generally eating crisps and chocolate and not doing anything productive at all - no idea what got in to me.
    Anyway got up on Thursday morning with an 'enough is enough' attitude, less moping, more running!
    Thursday 22nd 4 miles
    Friday 23rd 3 miles (unscheduled run but making up for being lazy on tues/wed)
    both really pleasant runs - took and easy and just enjoyed it, needed that! I wont be up to much today, tomorrow is a 7 mile LSR - not as daunting now as it seemed a few weeks ago, looking forward to it.

Saturday 24th - Nada
    Sunday 25th - 7 mile lsr, felt great to finally make an increase in distance, felt like ages since the first time I ran 6.2 and hadnt progressed any higher since. This went well, took it REALLY slow, and enjoyed it. Asked myself at 5 miles how I would feel doing another 5 and it didnt seem that far outside the realms of possability so happy enough that Im on course for the pheonix park in 4 weeks. Asked myself the same question at 7 miles and really wouldnt be confident that I could say yes to that yet, but that will come in time (I hope). Thought Id be stiffer this morning but was fine - slow and steady!
    Today - cross training was visiting a toy shop with three boys under 7, far harder than any run or race Ive ever done - exhausted now!

Plan for this week
    Tuesday - 4 miles
    Wedesday - 2 miles and strength and stretch
    Thursday - 4 miles (will be tough to fit this in since Im travelling - might swop Wednesday and Thursday if I can fit it in)
    Friday - Yoga & gentle swim
    Saturday - rest/gentle swim
    Sunday - 7.5 miles on hills in sunny hot Portugal and gentle swim

So, obviously the next week or two are going to be a little messy since Ill be in Portugal, but hoping to still get 80% of my program done. Anyone with any advice tips on dealing with the heat feel free to pipe up - I'll be trying to get out for these runs by 7/8am-ish to beat the worst of the heat. I've never run on an empty stomach but cant run after eating so this might be tricky (particlarly for the LSR's) so any tips very welcome. Log for the next few weeks will include lots of gentle swimming :D:D:D.

Tuesday 27th July - 4 miles, lovely run this evening, was super tired and stressed before I went out and it just fixed me. 10:49 mins/mile.

• Advertisement

Hi Im back from holidays and catching up on your log. Well done on your progress. You're doing really well. I'm inspired! The 5 mile race sounded great!

I feel like I'm starting from scratch again because I haven't run for 4 weeks!

Enjoy your holidays!

Advertisement