Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US gyms V Irish gyms ?

• 11-06-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Firstly no insult to the Irish gyms, the analogy's I bring up aren't meant to be an insult, just trying to get some sort of comparision. I'm just enquiring form those of who who have had the experience of going to a foreign gym for a fight and why ?

How much better are the USA or for that matter the top British gyms compared to Ireland. Watching Chris Stringer earlier this week and him going to Liverpool to train, so with US gyms or the top gyms in Britain ( because they've got excellent Brazilian and American trainers ) is it -

A) Like comparing training with say, Man Utd v Shamrock Rovers ?

B) Or is it because a professional Irish fighter might be able to train with other pro fighters his weight rather than the assortment of lads he trains with in his home gym

C) Or is there any other reasons ?

For example from an interview with Greg Loughrane " I ve been out in states getting ready for last fight against edson berto at gracie barra orlando,ive made alot o good friends there and the stantard of wresting and jiu jitsu is top level. "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

The standard is obviously much higher in the states, thats where the money is, thats where the top brazilians set up their bjj gyms and prioduced a **** tonne of black belts of their own, they all have sick wrestling bases, sports been going there for much longer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Probably comes down to the cost of travelling to the states for a camp i.e. flights, accomodation, gym fees etc. Also, leaving family work commitments can be a deciding factor.
    To answer your question the US gyms would be far greater due to wrestling primarily and BJJ. If you had the money I would definitely go to the States for training camp. One lad on the Cagewarriors forums tut tut:rolleyes: went to Matt Hughes HIT Squad and has a blog on it for getting ready for his fight said his wrestling vastly improved another lad done a blog on a Route 66 type effort of MMA gyms Xtreme Couture,Warriors, Grudge, Jacksons, Team Quest etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

america just has to be the best at everything and mma has been over there many years

Advertisement