Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BDwhos??? BDU Topic

• 11-06-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Right So!

Im looking to get some nice new battle dress uniform, but cannot fathem which direction to go! I was firstly thinking black anti-terrorism SAS style to go with my MP5 (my only AEG at the moe!)

But then saw some really cool pictures in the thread with all the airsofters of ireland in there full gear.

Im now thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.unreel.co.uk/reviews/t/Tears_of_the_Sun/cob.jpg
    obviously taken from tears of the sun!

The thing is ive no idea where to start!

Any advice or tips on where to start would be much appreciated!
    also any good onlin shops?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

McGilla wrote: »
    Right So!

Is that Bruce Willis 3rd from left. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

bdu and equipment choice normally comes down to one of two camps

1) your bdu is a uniform for a team

2) your looking to create an accurate impression

if your looking to create an impression based on the tears of the son look you can not go far wrong with a set of us woodland bdus, alice webbing or LBV vest and a throat mic for the basic impression

http://www.airsoftireland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13861
    http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=62366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Beez wrote: »
    Is that Bruce Willis 3rd from left. ;)

Sure is, what a dish!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Puding wrote: »

I'd throw in the obvious third option, what's practical. Camo that'll help you conceal yourself where you play, equipment to carry things you bring into the game in a way that's comfortable for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Sure is, what a dish!:p

Oh did not realise it was from a film :rolleyes:

thought it was just a lookalike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Puding wrote: »

if your looking to create an impression based on the tears of the son look you can not go far wrong with a set of us woodland bdus, alice webbing or LBV vest and a throat mic for the basic impression

Thanks, thats exactly the type of reply i was hoping for!!!
    but i also feel you may have killed the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I'd throw in the obvious third option, what's practical. Camo that'll help you conceal yourself where you play, equipment to carry things you bring into the game in a way that's comfortable for you.

very true, normally i see practical as coming under the team loadout as you normally sacrifice some practicality with accurate impression but this is not always the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭chris20

give ebay a look :) some good deals on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Right So!

Im looking to get some nice new battle dress uniform, but cannot fathem which direction to go! I was firstly thinking black anti-terrorism SAS style to go with my MP5 (my only AEG at the moe!)

But then saw some really cool pictures in the thread with all the airsofters of ireland in there full gear.

obviously taken from tears of the sun!

The thing is ive no idea where to start!

Any advice or tips on where to start would be much appreciated!

Black is fine if you're playing SWAT or SAS.

Where are you going to be playing? If outdoors then go for some woodland camo type such as Brit DPM, German, French, Danish etc which are all readily available.

Try flecktarn.co.uk German 2nd hand gear is dirt cheap.
    Or ebay as mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The swiss camo is really fantastic as well...I saw one guy at LAC with it on him and was thinking the red would stick out a mile...how wrong was I...he was practically invisible in the woodland with it...

S-SCM83FJ-B.jpg

looks odd as hell but it blends in unbelievably well...his one was darker green ..I reckon it was the woodland version but I'm definitely picking up one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

+1 on Puding and Evilrobotshane's advice above.

Try this site out for woodland gear and webbing:
    http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/

I've ordered a few bits and bobs off them and they've always been quick and cheap, without going down the cheaper china clone/ebay route. Cheap gear will not last - better get something half decent first.

Also, there's the camoshop if you want to buy Irish:
    http://www.thecamoshop.ie/us_bdu_23.html#

Getting the uniform is easy enough - but for it to look the part I'd recommend going the extra steps that Puding describes.

But ... for the majority of Irish sites woodland or multicam work best (depending on time of year and whether or not the site is grass/brush or forest/woodland). That's if you don't want to rock out a Bruce load-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

The gear sold in the camo shop is very good quality, best I've seen so far actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My opinion may make me VERY unpopular here but...

I'm kinda different when it would come to skirmishing
    if I was to go skirmishing that is. I would tend to
    go for whats practical rather than a more cosmetic look.

While I think some load outs look brilliant and all its
    not something I would be into doing myself.
    If I was to be forced into a specific load out it would be the old style Irish plain jane OD with bog standard web gear.

I'm not primarily a skirmisher so I may not have any right to voice an opinion on something I've no experiance with but....

I tend to cringe at the whole dress up aspect of airsoft
    where someone would wear a costume/loadout trying to mimic or pretend to be a character out of a movie/computergame or a real soldier or army unit.
    Its just not something I would be into as I think it feels more like roleplay stroke walter mitty type stuff rather than a sport. (but I guess there is some cross over between sport/hobby/gaming)

Instead my preferences would be clothes that are practical,
    camo to blend in, pouches/vests etc to be used if actually needed. on the rare occasion where I have skirmished I've
    found that I did not need a tac vest, did not need a hydration pouch, and did not need loads of pouches for bajillions of spare magazines. Instead I found one hi-cap would do me, and one backup in case something went wrong with the first mag as I was not a spray and pray type of fella and it was enough to see me through a round and I could reload if hit. Found a vest and backup pistol tended to just get in the way and I was only wearing a vest
    to hold a spare battery and some BB's as well as my wallet and mobile phone.

Perfect load out for me.
    Green OD or DPM Shirt and combats,
    comfortable light boots,
    A single Ammo and or dump pouch.
    AEG with fully charged battery and full mag.
    Face protection.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    The swiss camo is really fantastic as well...I saw one guy at LAC with it on him and was thinking the red would stick out a mile...how wrong was I...he was practically invisible in the woodland with it...

S-SCM83FJ-B.jpg

looks odd as hell but it blends in unbelievably well...his one was darker green ..I reckon it was the woodland version but I'm definitely picking up one.

that was my mate. He spent hours on the net looking for it. He got it from some US website. The price was not that bad either. It works so well in woodland. When i meet him i will ask him to put the link for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i got a set of the swiss stuff a couple of years back at salute, great gear well made and loads of pockets, there was some for sale on the stalls at the leapordstown military show last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looking at getting some swedish M90 gear myself, problem is the lads are all to skint to want em. Really nice pattern though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭chris20

Sc@recrow wrote: »

S-SCM83FJ-B.jpg

found these
    http://armyshop.ie/48-used-original-swiss-army-field-trousers-m83.html

http://armyshop.ie/47-original-swiss-army-field-jacket-m-83-tarn-camouflage-(s-3xl).html

great prices,have used this site myself and have to say service is top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ZeroSignal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Ah ACU ... don't get me started Zerosignal!

Advertisement