Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall out from Doggie Daycare

Options
  • 11-06-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

We have decided to put our dog into day care. She has only been in the past two days. She seems happy and all when we collect her and has no problem sleeping at night when at home and she has not gone off her food but her basic obedience seems to have gone out the window. She ignores the simplest of commands and is doing alot of avoidance.

The place we had her seems fine and she seems to like the people that run it, but I'm not happy about the fact shes not responding to basic commands now. Is it just a case of her adjusting to it? My gut feeling says to leave her at home even if it is for 8 hours, she seems alot more settled when at home.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you do decide it's best to leave her at home, then she will be fine. Dogs are meant to sleep most of the time anyway, so she would probably sleep while you're gone. (If she seems settled at home then she'd be fine, that is, not for every dog that might have seperation issues or whatever.)

It could be too much excitement for her, and being at home might be better for her. But it's only been two days so why not try for a while longer and then see what you think?

Maybe if you talk to them and ask what she acts like when she is there and explain how she isn't responding to commands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

I agree its only been 2 days so give it more of a chance and maybe go back to basic using treats and get her to do the usual sit,lie, paw stay and remind her you are the boss. But give it a bit longer I'd say.

Can I ask where the doggy day care is I can never find any through the internet. Is it based in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

antomagoo wrote: »
    Any thoughts?
    Talk to the daycare people , your dog is spending 8 hours a day with them they should be your first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't have to mention names but is it a Tipp based day care or somewhere else in the country?

It could be the dog is getting in to a diff. routine and you may need to start basic obedience at home or perhaps clicker training or it could be just too much for her some dogs thrive in day care some don't but as said worth talking with them to make sure she's happy when you leave her there. No point in leaving her in a day care place if you think she may be ignored or not given the time or relaxing.

Advertisement