Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other Sony Alpha users on here?

• 11-06-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Or am I all alone? :(

I ask because I'm poor ... and I want a few bits for my bag. like a zoom lens, some filters and maybe a flash gun.

trouble is, I check adverts regularly looking for cheap offers, but Sony gear is never present. It's all the usual Canikon gear. great for them, but crap for the likes of me.

there's no camera shop in this town, I haven't yet set up a solid way to buy online [I've bought one thing on ebay and it turned out not to work for what I wanted] and I can't afford to be wasting pennies on stuff that doesn't work.

Just wondered if there was any Sony alpha users and if they fancied some small trades, or even if they had gear they couldn't flog - might be interested :)

I have some books specific for the A200 and I wouldn't mind trading off the 18-70mm kit lens for something with better range [if there happened to be anyone with more than one zoom but only the 18-55 kit for example]

Worth a shot ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Sony is rather "new"ish for DSRL - certainly compared to Nikon/Canon and unfortunatly does not have the same reputation.

I shoot the Sony myself and have explained in this thread why - when purchasing my new camera - I probably will not buy another Sony.

The lack of 'cheap' upgrade options is just sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I shoot with a Sony A550 and have an A100 as second body. The A100 was my first DSLR, went the Sony route as I had an array of Minolta AF lenses which are compatible with the Sony Bodies (which after all were based on Konica-Minolta kit).

When I was buying the A550, I came very close to trying to sell all my Minolta kit and my A100 so as to move to Nikon, but in reality it would have pretty much meant starting over at building up a kit again .... it was possible the financially correct decision at the time .... now, I'm very happy with the A550 but sometimes wonder if I should have made the leap.

Currently have
    A550
    A100
    Sigma 70-300 APO (Macro at 300)
    Sigma 17-35
    Minolta 28-80
    Minolta 35-70
    3rd Party x2 convertor
    Sony 18-70 kit
    Minolta XD11
    Minolta SR1
    Minolta 16
    Variety of Minolta MF lenses some of which are nice Rokkors

Wouldn't mind getting a vertical grip for my A550 and a sigma 18-200. But I might still consider selling the lot and moving to Nikon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

sNarah wrote: »
    Sony is rather "new"ish for DSRL - certainly compared to Nikon/Canon and unfortunatly does not have the same reputation.

I shoot the Sony myself and have explained in this thread why - when purchasing my new camera - I probably will not by another Sony.

They keep coming out with newer models, which is a bit confusing to people buying I imagine.

In a recent photography mag they squared off 8 'entry level' dslrs, the A450 was the worst of the bunch, crushed by the supposedly lesser A230. So they're getting it wrong as they go.

I have the A200, no longer in production. Which from what I've researched is better than the A230. Nice camera, chunky, easy to use and the IQ is great - same sensor I believe as the D80 [which Sony make for Nikon]

It's a pity really, as they are great cameras. They should just concentrate on a smaller number of models. Only very recently they announced newer versions of the A230/A350

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-alpha-a290-and-a390-budget-dslrs-get-official-0989043/

dave66 wrote: »
    I shoot with a Sony A550 and have an A100 as second body. The A100 was my first DSLR, went the Sony route as I had an array of Minolta AF lenses which are compatible with the Sony Bodies (which after all were based on Konica-Minolta kit).

If you have any lenses or filters up for trade/sale, let me know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm not sure why Sony don't concentrate of getting a decent range of lenses onto the market that cater for all budgets/levels/needs.

There seems to be more emphasis on Sony part around bodies than lenses... it's totally disproportionate.

• Advertisement

They're doing it wrong! definitely.

On flickr groups I've seen people post that they've 'upgraded' from the A230, say, to the A450 [in the match off in the magazine, the A230 fairs MUCH better for the price, beating the canon 1000D, Olympus E-620 and the A450 as mentioned, and only beaten by the canon 450D because the lousy grip lets it down - the A200 has a much mightier grip]

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Sony don't concentrate of getting a decent range of lenses onto the market that cater for all budgets/levels/needs.

There seems to be more emphasis on Sony part around bodies than lenses... it's totally disproportionate.

They do though - The variety is there, but because of a lack of secondhand sellers it is not a very interesting market as it is all so bloody expensive...

I remember *I think* jaquain posting a link somewhere last year about Sony going to release cheapo lenses, including a macro lens around 120 quid (rather than 500 or so quid now). Haven't heard anything since :(

I wish! That'd be brilliant of them.

As it stands, I fear for my A200. I bought it second hand, through adverts,. I got a great deal - 2 lenses [18 - 70mm kit, 50mm f/1.7 prime] , Uv filter, remote, lens pouch, 2 books and a macro filter inc. all for €300.

But I'm now stuck with just that. I don't have 100's to buy a sony specific macro or wide angle, let alone a plain ol' 70 - 300 zoom with no bells or whistles.

I don't even check out their fixed aperture offerings.

there might be someone out there with a nice zoom , looking to get rid, who knows? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They have most of professional bases covered :

16-35 zeiss
    24-70 zeiss
    70-300 G
    70-400 G
    70-200 G
    135 zeiss
    85 zeiss

And there was the sub professional 28-70mm and several other lenses released last year.

I do agree that there not at the level of canon or nikon yet. But how much longer have they been in the DSLR market? Give it time and they will catch up. The lack of a lens in the 400-600mm is a bit of a pain for wildlife shooting, especially when the old Minolta 400-600 mm models are incredibly rare :D

They do have the cheapest full frame body though and that something im might save for........

There is a huge number of new models released there recently and that can be confusing when the old models are been sold at the same time as the new models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I shoot sony, I love it. I am a big sony fanboy so the entry level A200K was a must for me :)

I currently have:

Sony A200
    18-70mm (With the camera)
    Sigma 70-300mm (€150 from Spain when I was over)
    Sunpak 880 Flash (€10 adverts) http://adverts.ie/118302
    Soligar 19-35 Wide angle (€35 Adverts) http://adverts.ie/196921
    Remote release (€5 on ebay)

I know it's hard to find stuff for the sony's but my best advice is too just keep checking and jump at something when you see it.

Obviously, search for minolta more than sony since 99% will fit the sonys. Also because people think there just for SLR's you tend to get away with offering a little under asking price.

There's currently a tilt-shift on adverts which I really really want, but I don't think it's good value for what it is. Please don't buy it :p
    http://adverts.ie/230729

• Advertisement

I made an offer for one of your lenses in the past, but someone out-bid me :(

Those 2 offerings you link are sold/withdrawn sadly.

Could do with a flash. Could do with a new remote release too as the Aeriel snapped off mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Because Sony are not canon / nikon - there won't be as many opportunities but don't forget you have options with Minolta gear for your Sony too (someone who knows what their talking about can give the details here).

The other brands are similar so you are not alone (Oly/Pentax/Fuji/Sony). It is a factor but to me not a major factor in a purchasing decision. For my pentax gear when i'm looking second hand I'd usually do eBay or go for a US store or deal with Kerso as happened recently for a new item. I have also found and purchased some stuff on adverts but the deals are slower to materialise. You will have lots of options - just they may take a little longer to materialise.

The good news is that because such opportunities are a little slower to materialise, you probably have a better chance at your gear holding some of its value provided you are prepared to wait and not in a hurry.

The issue to me is six of one/half dozen of the other in terms of pros / cons.

I made an offer for one of your lenses in the past, but someone out-bid me :(

Which ones?
    Those 2 offerings you link are sold/withdrawn sadly.

I know, I bought them, was just showing you that it is possible to get stuff on adverts if your quick :)
    Could do with a flash.

My mate has a wirless one that I'm tring to persude him to part with, if he does, your more than welcome to my Sunpak.
    Could do with a new remote release too as the Aeriel snapped off mine.

They are so cheap on ebay, I have a wired one but need / want a wirelss so I'll be looking on ebay over the next few days :)

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The other possibles when I was buying used were Pentax and Oly, I went for the best package tbh. Didn't have a preference, just wanted a start with a dslr.

The 50mm I got with the cam is a minolta. Fine little lens, does for most of my shots. I only use the kit lens when I need wider angles. the 70mm end doesn't do much beyond what the 50mm [better IQ] and a few physical steps can't achieve. But the 18mm on the kit can be very useful [for example, when I was taking shots of a group of girls who ran/walked the mini-marathon for our fund raiser, 50mm was never getting them all in]

What I'd really love is something like the Tamron 18 - 300mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002VYJQI/ref=asc_df_B0002VYJQI625898/?tag=ciaouk-ce-21&creative=7966&creativeASIN=B0002VYJQI&linkCode=asn

But I just don't have a spare £264 ... whatever that equates to in €

I've been searching for deals for ages on adverts and the likes of gumtree. really need to get funds into my paypal so I can hit ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I'm one.
    Sony is fine.
    I use minolta lens too.
    But I also use canon and pentax film SLRs now.
    Probably would go nikon if I was starting again. But not really that fussed because I don't have any money to buy new stuff right now :)
    Also at the time (2008) the a200 was best value for money. Sony definitely changed the entry level end of SLRs.
    The new nex and the rumoured pellix A55 camera is intruiging :)

Thats the exact lense I'm looking to get.

Tallon wrote: »
    Which ones?

I know, I bought them, was just showing you that it is possible to get stuff on adverts if your quick :)

My mate has a wirless one that I'm tring to persude him to part with, if he does, your more than welcome to my Sunpak.

They are so cheap on ebay, I have a wired one but need / want a wirelss so I'll be looking on ebay over the next few days :)

oops, sorry, thought you posted gear you had sold. I mean I bidded on some of those, maybe you out-bid me? lol

Thats the exact lense I'm looking to get.

I imagine I would rarely need to take that lens off on a walkabout. I'd have the 50mm for portraits and more specific shots. But a range like that would be more than enough for my needs out and about.

I find atm the 50mm is on the cam most times. And I switch to the kit only when I need a wider view. the kit lens isn't bad as such, it just doesn't have the IQ of the 50mm.

I would hope that tamron has better IQ than the kit. But either way, it's got the reach I'm lacking.

Crap, why do I insist on searching more? Now I really want this one -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-18-250mm-F3-5-6-3-Aspherical-Minolta/dp/B000N8F680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276275097&sr=1-1

£100 more ... but looks oh so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I have the A200, no longer in production. Which from what I've researched is better than the A230. Nice camera, chunky, easy to use and the IQ is great - same sensor I believe as the D80 [which Sony make for Nikon]

Nikon D40x D60, D80, D3000, D200 3872 x 2592
    Sony A100, A200, A230, A300, A330 3872 x 2592
    Pentax K200D, K10D, K-m 3872 x 2592
    Samsung GX-10 3872 x 2592

I suspect that all of these and probably many more use the
    exact same Sony sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

First DSLR was a A100, it has just come out. Upgraded to Nikon D300 8 months later:D Still have the A100 with kit lenses and flash, thinking of selling it though!

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    First DSLR was a A100, it has just come out. Upgraded to Nikon D300 8 months later:D Still have the A100 with kit lenses and flash, thinking of selling it though!

There's a good enough demand for it

http://www.adverts.ie/234350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

dave66 wrote: »
    Currently have
    A550
    A100
    Sigma 70-300 APO (Macro at 300)
    Sigma 17-35
    Minolta 28-80
    Minolta 35-70
    3rd Party x2 convertor
    Sony 18-70 kit
    Minolta XD11
    Minolta SR1
    Minolta 16
    Variety of Minolta MF lenses some of which are nice Rokkors

Wouldn't mind getting a vertical grip for my A550 and a sigma 18-200. But I might still consider selling the lot and moving to Nikon

If you ever decide to sell your Minolta MF lenses or the XD11 let me know would be a nice addition to the family of Minolta gear I cherish.

regarding the shutter release -

I made one using a cd rom connecter, loads of wire and a peg. Hey presto! 10 meter shutter release :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

If you ever decide to sell your Minolta MF lenses or the XD11 let me know would be a nice addition to the family of Minolta gear I cherish.

Will do, can't see it happening, but if it did would prefer to see it going to a caring home where it would be appreciated.

I can't even scrape the pennies together for a plain 70-300 atm, but I'll keep hunting for bargains.

A wee bump reminder, any Sony users looking to trade, I still have those A200 books, and also a hot shoe trigger that's no use to me [just bought, didn't work for what I wanted]

On a side, semi-related note: I was around Dublin on Sunday and twice in Stephen's green and twice more on Grafton street [and I'm certain they were not the same people] I spotted Sony dslrs in use. Despite the heavy showers an' all.

SPotted the usual others too, but it was 50/50 Sony to the Canikons.

Sony Flash for sale over at adverts

Mmmm, maybe if I win on the poker tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Sony user here too; A350 with DT16-105mm & 70-300mm but I'm saving for the full-frame A850. It is a pity there's not so many 2nd hand lenses but as Sony penetrate the market in the coming years that should change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

I'm another Sony user, although I originally joined the a-mount club with a Minolta 5D. Personally, I'm quite happy with my a200 (I think it was only ~€300 new) although I'm itching to see what an updated a700 will look like. I'm starting to come up against the fairly poor ISO performance from the a200 (which, after all, was their entry-model) so I'm interested in either the a7XX or full-frame models.

I'd certainly agree that Sony aren't perfect but I'm not one for following the crowd either. I get great value out of the in-body stabilisation and the built-in wireless flash and I own some great lenses: Minolta f/1.7, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and 70-300 G f/4-5.6 get the job done for me. The old 18-70 lens was pretty limiting.

The lack of a vibrant local 2nd-hand market is not something that overly bothers me.

The Dynax Digital forum are an extremely friendly bunch of people, many of whom are based in the UK, so it could be worth keeping an eye open there for 2nd-hand items. Also, check out UK camera shops as they will have Minolta/Sony lenses more regularly. Ffordes used to keep a good selection: https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

Sony User here

A350 + Kit 18-70
    Sigma 70-300 DG Macro
    Minolta 50mm 1.7
    Metz Flash
    Remote Release

Also have Interfit EXD200 i use an Interfit Infa-Red Trigger sitting on a Hot Shoe adaptor to fire them

Happy enough with it, a bit of a pain that Sony are so expensive but i knew that before i bought so only myself to blame.

Cheers for the link, will check it out.

I bought my first decent zoom lens today, through adverts [where I also bought the camera and initial lenses/filters]

I now have the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 [beauty of a lens] - the 18-70mm kit and now a Sigma 70-300mm DG [with the macro switch]

Again, in Dublin City today I spotted 2 Sony dslrs. It's nice to see, as every other dslr I saw swinging from a neck was either a Nikon or Canon. Not one Pentax/Oly/Panasonic.

I love my A200, though it seriously needs a wet clean. I've just spec-cleaned the sensor ... dodgy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

They do though - The variety is there, but because of a lack of secondhand sellers it is not a very interesting market as it is all so bloody expensive...

I remember *I think* jaquain posting a link somewhere last year about Sony going to release cheapo lenses, including a macro lens around 120 quid (rather than 500 or so quid now). Haven't heard anything since :(

Hee Hee I'd forgotten all about that, didn't hear anything since :(

@OP have you tried the Dyxum forums? Not sure what it would cost to ship over here though.

jaqian wrote: »
    Hee Hee I'd forgotten all about that, didn't hear anything since :(

@OP have you tried the Dyxum forums? Not sure what it would cost to ship over here though.
    Ha - I did remember correctly! Howdee Jaqian, long time no see!

Dyxum forum is quite good for extra bit's and pieces though I find it hard to navigate around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Just to weigh in, got my A200 in may last year as my first DSLR and immediately loved it, always liked "taking photos" so suddenly having the capabilities to do it properly and having a way to learn about whats what was great.

Apart from the kit lens, all my gear with it is Konica/Minolta fit. Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is my baby. I also have a "Miranda" f/3.5-4.8 70-200mm zoom, its a bit fuzzy and the colours wash out when photographing at distance but it works ok for zooming in on closer targets. I then have a Minolta 28-70mm f/3.5 kit-style zoom, i bought it in a charity shop attached to a Minolta film camera for a few euros solely because it has a macro function. It rarely gets pulled out but it's in the bag just in case.

Flashes have been the biggest problem for me. Compatibility with Minolta fit ones is a bit dodgy, I couldn't get straight answers so I ended up going through 4 or 5 on ebay until I got an adapter and bought any ould thing, an ugly fixed angle, no control monster from 80s china.

A few weeks ago I, in a very tired state and not obeying my own strict rules, dropped the camera onto tarmac getting out of a car. Large chip is gone out of the back of the camera, I had to pull it apart to re-attach the shutter cable inside the camera (with bated breath). It works now, but the hotshoe remains unresponsive. I may have to open it up again as it does feel like a handicap not being able to use anything but the pop-up flash which is very low on the A200 and creates both red-eye and odd shadows depending on the lens used.

• Advertisement

I knocked mine over when it was on the tripod a few weeks back. It got a right clatter! Everything is ok except the anti-dust shake seems weaker when you switch off and the mirror has locked up once or twice. Hopefully that's the worst that happens. Must. Be. More. careful. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if running short on available 2nd gear (lens) you could also look into a lens adapter - which will take from another brand/mount to the sony mount. So you'd get a Canon lens and basically allow it to be mounted on the sony. Not sure of brand availability for the sony and haven't used them myself but hear varying reports from "they are excellent - saved my life" sort of stuff to "help, i've my xyz adapter stuck on my camera body - how do i get it off? blow torch???" - research, research, research.... and always careful, careful, careful.....

friend of mine just put up his flash, it's pretty decent. I had it for a few weeks and loved it

http://adverts.ie/250330

friend of mine just put up his flash, it's pretty decent. I had it for a few weeks and loved it

http://adverts.ie/250330

I could do with a flash, but would love a cable flash or wireless. That, and I have no money :(

I could do with a flash, but would love a cable flash or wireless. That, and I have no money :(

That one is wireless

• Advertisement

That one is wireless

ooooh! Me want so. But again ... no monies :(

Since my A200 is a bit busted, I've already started eying up other cameras. Not the greatest experience with my first Dslr, nothing to do with the camera, just my own clumsiness. I've been pondering used D60 or D80 Nikons, Vs going for another Alpha - as I have 3 lenses to fit [though one of them is knackered too]

What alphas have you guys got? I've looked at the likes of the A350 - some reviews suggest it's worse at higher ISO settings than the A230, though I'd like to have Live view again [as I've a bad back, would be beneficial to me for macro/ground shots] - The A300/330 just seem to be A200's with a higher pixel count. then there's the A450 - but that got a bit of a kicking in a recent comparison test in Digital photography magazine -

http://img14.imageshack.us/f/comparisona230a450.jpg/

The much cheaper A230 out-scoring it. Bit embarrassing that Sony!

A step higher and you have the A500 and A550 - I'd love a 550 [would love an A900 but that'd be dreaming right now], looks like a top cam for the price [I'd only need the body, that's one benefit with sticking to Sony]

One problem is of course, I'm broke. If I sold the lenses I could put the money towards a Nikon ... but then I'd have no lenses and I'd be starting from scratch again ...

Any advice? Have any of you actually come over from Nikon/canon/pentax ..etc to Sony? I know the minolta lenses must be a temptation for any photographer, being so cheap. It's actually mostly the 50mm AF f/1.7 really making me want to stick with Sony for now. But I feel i'm missing many other bargains by not going Sony.

Maybe we could get some swaps/trades going on Sony gear in here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

I can tell you that the A350 is now discontinued, although I'm sure there's a few places they're still on sale - it just means they're not too fresh of the production line. It seems for the same money that the A350 was going for when it was new, the A500/A550 has a bit more. If you already have 2/3 useful lenses that might sway your decision. It's not all about the body but the glass. I know I'd rather have 3 variable lenses to go with my A350 than a better body and just one lens. I know the question of quality will be brought into it, but all my photos have been taken with an A350 and I'm quite happy with the quality. Depends on your application really.

Hope that helps.

The quality is tops on the A200, it shares the same sensor as Nikon's D80. The only reason I'd change brands is availability of gear. Every time I check adverts it's all canon/Nikon. Very rare you see good offers for Sony/Minolta and the better deals go fast.

I like the Sony design, I like a chunky camera with good grip - I think for this reason the A300 or A350 would suit me. I'd just be worried about reports that the A350 has weaker noise handling than the A200/230/300 [After reading more, the A300 is basically an A200 [with the better grip than the A230/A330] with Live view. that's suit me fine. There is an A350 on adverts, I expressed interest in the body only, as he's gotten numerous offers just for the lens he's selling with.

Believe me, if my A200 hadn't suffered a knock, I'd only be looking at more lenses and a flash gun. I love the camera otherwise. I think for the price the so-called lower end Sony cameras are a steal!

Now I just have to decide between the A300/A350 or stretch a bit more to the A500/550. I'd love a 550, looks a serious camera. But I'll have to save a bit and soldier on with the busted A200 [doing alright with it still considering the problems with it]

What's the story with buying from Hong-Kong? the prices are great, but I hear you can get hit with mad charges on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

What's the story with buying from Hong-Kong? the prices are great, but I hear you can get hit with mad charges on top?

Vat/duty, foreign language manual and/or firmware, wrong power
    plug and in most cases, no manufacturers warranty.

There is the 120 quid macro - The 30mm f2.8 1:1

ebay has tonnes of old minolta lenses up for grabs. You just have to o a little research on any strange ones you might come across. Still a lot cheaper than buying newer lenses for Nikon cams, even used.

Anyone know what price the new A290 and A390 will be when released? might be worth waiting to get one of those, they're back to the nicer chunky grip.

hbr wrote: »
    Vat/duty, foreign language manual and/or firmware, wrong power
    plug and in most cases, no manufacturers warranty.

I wouldnt recommend it - have heard more HK horror stories than happy endings (ebay related). However, getting the gear over in HK in person (stopover or something perhaps) seems to be a great idea. Just in passing HK like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

I haven't really been keeping up with all the new a2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx models to be honest. My Minolta 5D died about a year ago and although I really wanted an a700, I picked up a cheap a200... I'm still waiting for the a700 replacement (which will hopefully be available at the end of this year) so I've been ignoring anything which does start with a7 ;-)

Why am I sticking with Sony? Frankly, I have a selection of lens that I like (50 f/1.7, 17-50 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 macro, 70-300 G) which represent a good investment for me. I also love the in-body anti-shake, wireless flash and in general I like the user interface and the layout of the autofocus points. The two things I don't like about the a200 are ergonomics (solved with a homemade hack) and poor ISO performance.

I've never had a problem with getting Sony compatible gear as I don't restrict myself to Irish classifieds or shops... ebay has worked for me although I do also tend to buy new. I'm also a little contrary so I don't want the same gear as everyone else!

I've recently bought a Sony NEX-5 mostly for the compact size, video quality and live-view (things I don't really want in my SLR). So far I'm loving the little beastie. The NEX seems to get compared most often to the image quality of the a550 so that's a pretty good endorsement of the a550 in my mind!

In the end, the camera body you choose isn't too important. And frankly, even the system you buy isn't going to have a dramatic effect on your photography.

It's important when funds are very low though. I couldn't care what brand i use once it works for me, and I like the A200. I love the chunkiness of it, handles nicely IMO. I have held nikon and Canon cams and found them a bit small [entry level models] for my liking. If i was to choose between those I'd go Nikon, a D90 is what I would love really, just cannot afford it, even used.

The body stabilizer is great, but unfortunately mine bust after a fall :( so I have it switched off. Also, the sensor is out of line, I have to almost chop a person's head of when framing to centre them. Not good.

Since I have 3 lenses for Alpha fit I think it might be best to stick to Sony for now at least. The IQ on the A200 is great, same sensor as the D80 as I mentioned, and I don't tend to use higher ISO levels. Rarely do I go beyond ISO 400, and the A200 is fine around there, I have taken some shots at 800 and Lightroom managed to tame the noise nicely.

I'd love an A550, but again, too pricey for me at the moment. I need one soonish, that's my problem, otherwise i'd be patient and save. But using a cam with a broken IS and shifted sensor is off putting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement