Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

How is 38 a pass? Do you mean a D? I thought 40 was a D?

they changed it to 38% like last week......handy init!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I heard that 38% from that 2fm show yesterday. I really don't know if it's for both ordinary and higher levels or just one of them. It's just for maths though right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

lucybrown wrote: »
    they changed it to 38% like last week......handy init!!
    Did they?
    I only meant if the examiner was soft on the marks and if it was so close to 40 that she might pass ya...

Finical wrote: »
    I heard that 38% from that 2fm show yesterday. I really don't know if it's for both ordinary and higher levels or just one of them. It's just for maths though right? :pac:

yeah just for maths.....and i think its jus 4 ord..not suree

dannydfc wrote: »
    Did they?
    I only meant if the examiner was soft on the marks and if it was so close to 40 that she might pass ya...

nah its like defo 38% to pass now

• Advertisement

Ah okay thanks, might be slightly easier so..
    Just if i can get 150 amrks though then i should be grand, that's half of the makrs in the exam, could be tough, possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Just if i can get 150 amrks though then i should be grand, that's half of the makrs in the exam, could be tough, possible though.

I'm sure you did fine ;)

u can get 36% of each question on attempt marks alone! thats whats giving me hope ha...u shud be fine.....best of look :D

thanks danger and lucy brown.
    Hope we all get the results that we want.

I want an A1 but I'm not sure if I'll get that now.. :(

• Advertisement

You might get an a2?:P
    Nah only joking , you seem to have done well, and perhaps you might of just lost a couple of marks, you'll get your a1 have some faith.;)

You might get an a2?:P
    Nah only joking , you seem to have done well, and perhaps you might of just lost a couple of marks, you'll get your a1 have some faith.;)

I always do better in paper1 surprisingly and I realised I lost marks for doing a little bit of guesswork.. Nothing to lose sleep over but it might stop me from getting an A1 :eek: Still I'd be delighted with an A2 :D

Awh sure you should get the a2 anyway.
    once you get your a.:P
    i am just looking to pass i'd do anything for a d in maths.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

That was an extremely difficult paper for ordinary level. I'm a repeat, and I got a B1 last year. Was aiming for an A1 this year, but I can kiss that goodbye. I've done significantly worse in Paper 1 this year than last year. Hovering around the C mark right now, and I'm worse at Paper 2. Disgraceful paper. I can do every past paper inside out. Really horrible. Hopefully they'll have to change the marking scheme, although I see no way how I can even match my B1 from last year.

moneyman wrote: »
    That was an extremely difficult paper for ordinary level. I'm a repeat, and I got a B1 last year. Was aiming for an A1 this year, but I can kiss that goodbye. I've done significantly worse in Paper 1 this year than last year. Hovering around the C mark right now, and I'm worse at Paper 2. Disgraceful paper. I can do every past paper inside out. Really horrible. Hopefully they'll have to change the marking scheme, although I see no way how I can even match my B1 from last year.
    Exact same for me but I got B2 last year. Going to need 260+ marks in paper 2 for any chance of an A for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

Did anyone get these co-ordinates for 6c(ii) (-1,4) and (1,-4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

I got (5,30) and (1,6) :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

moneyman wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    Just because you didn't do the work required through the year doesn't mean it was a disgraceful paper. Most people in my school found it very easy (EDIT: I would just like to mention that this includes 2 repeats who failed maths last year), the only reason the majority of people on this board are complaining is because there has been a flood of new users, and the people who found the paper easy (the majority of students) aren't getting all worried about it and frantically posting about how hard it was.

If the SEC decides to change the marking scheme because some students were too lazy to work hard enough for their maths I would be very disappointed, and I think it's safe to say so would everyone else who did the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

eh, I did kind of okay.

That sequences and series part (c) was pretty strange, though. I honestly didn't think something like '0.333...' would come up on ordinary level.

Just because you didn't do the work required through the year doesn't mean it was a disgraceful paper. Most people in my school found it very easy (EDIT: I would just like to mention that this includes 2 repeats who failed maths last year), the only reason the majority of people on this board are complaining is because there has been a flood of new users, and the people who found the paper easy (the majority of students) aren't getting all worried about it and frantically posting about how hard it was.

If the SEC decides to change the marking scheme because some students were too lazy to work hard enough for their maths I would be very disappointed, and I think it's safe to say so would everyone else who did the work.
    Bit harsh, I done all the papers back to 1998 and I thought there was new stuff never seen before yesterday. Some people have maths in them and some don't, it doesn't matter how much they work/practise with them. Judging from your post I'd say you're pretty good at maths, but what about people who struggle to pass it and seen new things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Hey , I thought it was a really really nice paper! I would say I got 50/50 in Q1 , Q3, Q4, Q5 and Q 7. Just wondering, for Q2 (c)(ii) Did anyone get -1/3 , 6 , -2 or something like that cant remember exactly...anyone take their answers down? Because I think I got everything else right in that Q, and if I got that right it would mean I got 50/50 again , giving me 100% for paper1 :D
    of course, I cant be certain I got everything right, but from the answers I see on this it looks like my answers are!!
    Oh, and did anyone get 8(v) , it is really annoying me!!
    Bring on paper 2!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

decides to change the marking scheme because some students were too lazy to work hard enough for their maths .

Somewhat sensationalist to be honest with you- some people (myself included) struggle immensly with maths, and having a convoluted paper with items that I've never seen in a book, in a paper, or had explained to me in class come up IS difficult. I worked quite hard at Maths just so I can get a pass (to get into a course with no maths whatsoever I might add, therefore its a bit unfair to be saying students are lazy. There are probably few enough people who were lazy and not covered the material but I'd say they'd know better to come on and complain if they only have themselves to blame.

It was a challenging paper, but it wasn't the most difficult I've done. In my opinion it was a nice paper but I can see how certain people may have found it difficult. I really doubt the SEC are going to change the marking scheme though. The vast majority of people I've talked to have done pretty well with a few exceptions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i thought it was diffcult but sme may say it wasnt as they attempted q1 or 5 unlike me i had to do q2,3,4,6,7,8 and thought it was diffcult since 1995 and i think because of the formula book! as everything is in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

People who would have gotten A's all year in Hon((and pass)) in my school in which tests are marked ridic hard thought the pass paper was a tough one!

There were part Bs that could have been taken out of hons like!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

fair enough there were some hard parts in it,

but like question 2, question 4, question 6 and question 8 were all liek other years

question 3 had the roots bit at the end, which was in fairness kinda tough

and question 7 the part c was a bit different but like, it wasn't that difficult compared to other years and like they said before we even started the course is being changed otherwise when project maths comes in, people will be absolutely devastated, so its causing you to think about things more which may be no bad thing.....

Finical wrote: »
    Bit harsh, I done all the papers back to 1998 and I thought there was new stuff never seen before yesterday. Some people have maths in them and some don't, it doesn't matter how much they work/practise with them. Judging from your post I'd say you're pretty good at maths, but what about people who struggle to pass it and seen new things?
    items that I've never seen in a book, in a paper, or had explained to me in class come up IS difficult.

Can either of you point out a single question on that paper that is not on the pass maths course please?
    EDIT: Sorry if my posts sound aggressive, I don't mean them to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Can either of you point out a single question on that paper that is not on the pass maths course please?
    EDIT: Sorry if my posts sound aggressive, I don't mean them to be :)

:confused: I never said anything about them not being on the course?

:confused: I never said anything about them not being on the course?

If it's on the course, it's in your book. Unless your teacher isn't doing their job properly (which is a seperate matter) they have covered at least 6 questions for P1. Which means it wasn't new material.

• Advertisement

Just because you're happy with the paper, doesn't mean everyone has to be happy with it. The book we have for maths is utter sh!te, all we done was the past papers and maybe there wasn't aything new yesterday but some of the questions were phrased differently, but than again I suppose that's maths for yeah.

It's done now though what can yeah do? :pac:

Advertisement