Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Finical wrote: »
    Just because you're happy with the paper, doesn't mean everyone has to be happy with it. The book we have for maths is utter sh!te, all we done was the past papers and maybe there wasn't aything new yesterday but some of the questions were phrased differently, but than again I suppose that's maths for yeah.

It's done now though what can yeah do? :pac:

This is the thing... the majority of people are happy about it?
    So you're admitting there was nothing new. If there was nothing new and you had studied your maths hard enough, you would have been fine. Can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

:rolleyes:
    Just because you didn't do the work required through the year doesn't mean it was a disgraceful paper. Most people in my school found it very easy (EDIT: I would just like to mention that this includes 2 repeats who failed maths last year), the only reason the majority of people on this board are complaining is because there has been a flood of new users, and the people who found the paper easy (the majority of students) aren't getting all worried about it and frantically posting about how hard it was.

If the SEC decides to change the marking scheme because some students were too lazy to work hard enough for their maths I would be very disappointed, and I think it's safe to say so would everyone else who did the work.

Arrogant little chap, aren't you? If you had average literacy you would have seen that I actually did work throughout the year to up my grade from a B1 to an A1. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I really doubt people who failed last year got a high grade this year. Two girls who are thick as **** came out of the exam this year saying it was easy. I'm in their class, I know how bad they are. Doesn't really mean anything - more than likely they're unaware that the part C's are worth alot more than the A's and B's.

Your claim that the majority of students found the paper easy is ridiculous. Most people in my school found it difficult, and listening to the radio shows, it's clear that the majority of people think it was a particularly tough paper compared to other years. If you got lucky and the questions suited you, fair play. You might have scraped your pass. Me, I was going for an A1. However, don't call me lazy again (if you do, you're admitting to being a raging homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that). You know nothing about me, you bellend.

Even your most recent post is idiotic. The majorityquite clearly didn't find it easy! What's actually wrong with you! (Rhetorical question, I don't wanna know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

munkymanmatt is a talented troll.

moneyman wrote: »
    Arrogant little chap, aren't you? If you had average literacy you would have seen that I actually did work throughout the year to up my grade from a B1 to an A1. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I really doubt people who failed last year got a high grade this year. Two girls who are thick as **** came out of the exam this year saying it was easy. I'm in their class, I know how bad they are. Doesn't really mean anything - more than likely they're unaware that the part C's are worth alot more than the A's and B's.

Your claim that the majority of students found the paper easy is ridiculous. Most people in my school found it difficult, and listening to the radio shows, it's clear that the majority of people think it was a particularly tough paper compared to other years. If you got lucky and the questions suited you, fair play. You might have scraped your pass. Me, I was going for an A1. However, don't call me lazy again (if you do, you're admitting to being a raging homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that). You know nothing about me, you bellend.

Even your most recent post is idiotic. The majorityquite clearly didn't find it easy! What's actually wrong with you! (Rhetorical question, I don't wanna know).

Maybe I am, I'm expecting 100% from that paper.
    The majority of the people on here, and the radio are whatever are bound to be the ones who thought it was hard. How many people are going to be anxious to ring up Joe Duffy to whinge about how the maths exam was too easy? :rolleyes:

I too was going for the A1. I didn't even study as hard as I could have, and along with most of the people I know (as in leaving certs from more than just my school) found it simple. However, it most certainly wasn't luck, it was because I had looked over everything, and not just the bits I like/thought were coming up. The lazy crowd are the only people who are giving out about the paper. Resorting to name calling isn't going to get you anywhere, neither is moaning about the paper. The only thing that will help you is studying for P2.

As for your last little remark, i think I've already covered that. :D

EDIT:
    munkymanmatt is a talented troll.
    Clearly defeated in one thread and shown to be a troll, he moves along to another, and calls me the troll. How nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

This is the thing... the majority of people are happy about it?
    So you're admitting there was nothing new. If there was nothing new and you had studied your maths hard enough, you would have been fine. Can you not see that?
    Where's this majority you keep talking about? Because the majority of people I've spoken to or heard from -both on the internet, from other students in my school and even the teachers- thought it wasn't a nice paper at all. I'm a repeat, got a B1 last year and was only a few marks off an A. I've spent the last year going over and over every past paper and mock I could get my hands on and I still thought some parts of that paper were nasty.

This isn't a few people complaining about an exam because they haven't done the work, (knowing the swots who hang out on this board I bet they've all been working their arses off :p). This is a lot of people complaining about a genuinely tough paper.

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    Where's this majority you keep talking about? Because the majority of people I've spoken to or heard from -both on the internet, from other students in my school and even the teachers- thought it wasn't a nice paper at all. I'm a repeat, got a B1 last year and was only a few marks off an A. I've spent the last year going over and over every past paper and mock I could get my hands on and I still thought some parts of that paper were nasty.

This isn't a few people complaining about an exam because they haven't done the work, (knowing the swots who hang out on this board I bet they've all been working their arses off :p). This is a lot of people complaining about a genuinely tough paper.

You know, the 95% of the students in the country who aren't on here giving out about it?
    Can you please tell me which parts you actually thought were so tough? The teachers in my school also thought it was simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

LOL

it wasn't that bad, chill and if your that worried go study paper 2 :P

You know, the 95% of the students in the country who aren't on here giving out about it?
    Just because they aren't on here giving out, doesn't mean they thought it was easy. It's a pretty big leap in logic to assume that, 40% of them could have found it tough but have decided to forget about it and move on, maybe another 5% just don't have the internet access to come on here and complain, maybe 50% have decided to complain on other sites like facebook rather than here.

I was actually one of the ones who wasn't going to bother complaining after voicing my initial annoyance at the paper, I was just coming to study for paper two to make up my grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

@munkymanmatt You are obviously good at maths, you say you think you got 100% ? I think I did too. Could you do 8(v) ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bearcub

new to boards, long tim lurker , 1st time poster.

in regards to maths p1, i thought it was quite a frustrating paper, the change of layout and phrasing of part C's after so many years steeped in repetition and sameness was very unsettling.

i consider myself fairly capable at maths , well as far as ordinary level goes , and went into that exam comfortable that i could get the B i need, as i had put the study in . But because of its awkwardness , my whole college buzz could be at risk.

.and i really don't think my view on the paper is due to me being an idiot or being underprepared. i think that is why a lot of people are pissed off about it. we're not just venting because we're sore losers

• Advertisement

Clearly defeated in one thread and shown to be a troll, he moves along to another, and calls me the troll. How nice.

you didn't defeat anyone

you gave me more of your fallacious logic and I just decided to ignore you.

Just because they aren't on here giving out, doesn't mean they thought it was easy. It's a pretty big leap in logic to assume that, 40% of them could have found it tough but have decided to forget about it and move on, maybe another 5% just don't have the internet access to come on here and complain, maybe 50% have decided to complain on other sites like facebook rather than here.

I was actually one of the ones who wasn't going to bother complaining after voicing my initial annoyance at the paper, I was just coming to study for paper two to make up my grade.

Well the same could be said for you thinking the majority found it hard? I'm saying the majority of people, because I have spoken to a ton of people about this paper, from multiple schools, including some relations spread out across the country. A girl I know working for a local newspaper has only heard people saying it was easy when she went around after the exam getting pictures and stuff. Barely anyone found it hard, bar the usual suspects that didn't do a stroke.
    @munkymanmatt You are obviously good at maths, you say you think you got 100% ? I think I did too. Could you do 8(v) ? Thanks

I didn't do it for the exam but if you give me a minute I'll write it out for you :)

I just decided to ignore you.

Oh, how silly of me! Of course you did. :D

could anyone do 8(v) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting out of context?

My word you are quite the troll.

Quoting out of context?

My word you are quite the troll.

I'm sorry, how is that out of context? You're calling my logic fallacious when it clearly isn't. If you'd kindly re-enter that thread and explain how you think cheating the LC is ok that would be great!

I didn't do it for the exam but if you give me a minute I'll write it out for you :)

Thanks! Really annoying me ! I bet its simple I have a mental block with it for some reason! Which Qs did you do? I did them all , I say 6&8 are the only ones I didnt get full marks in! :cool: Not to sound cocky!

I'm sorry, how is that out of context? You're calling my logic fallacious when it clearly isn't.

herp derp

you're asking me to refute fallacious drivel, why would I do this

Well the same could be said for you thinking the majority found it hard? I'm saying the majority of people, because I have spoken to a ton of people about this paper, from multiple schools, including some relations spread out across the country. A girl I know working for a local newspaper has only heard people saying it was easy when she went around after the exam getting pictures and stuff. Barely anyone found it hard, bar the usual suspects that didn't do a stroke.
    The thing is though, that I'm not claiming the majority found it hard. I specified that the majority of people that I've spoken to found it difficult. I'm not pompous enough to assume the fifty or so people I've heard from represent the opinion of the thousands of others who sat the paper.

It's fantastic that you and everyone you know found the paper so p1ss easy, but don't start assuming that the majority of students also found it so, and that anyone who disagrees hasn't worked. You're in no position to make such claims.

See here's where you're wrong! As I've already said before (you seem to have a problem comprehending certain things), I did put in the work. Last year, I did not put in the work. I got a B1. The reason I'm repeating is because, admittedly, I didn't put in enough work last year. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book, and be unnecessarily arrogant (except, in my case, it's the truth) - I'm excellent at maths. Never had a problem doing any sort of question on Paper 1. Can do them all without any sort of a problem. But I found this paper quite tough. I find it difficult to believe that you've spoken to an amount of people that found it simple comparable to the amount that have voiced their displeasure. Which is why your claims that the majority found it simple is so silly.

And no, you're wrong about the radio shows. They're specifically saying that this years paper was significantly more difficult than other years. Perhaps you have hearing difficulties as well as reading.

I'm sure you've got your A1 (wink wink). And I'm equally sure your pride won't let you admit anything else when you get your results and you scurry to post them on here. After all, you couldn't have all them internets peoples believing that you're anything less than a genius! ;) It's OK, I won't let them in on your "secret".

herp derp

you're asking me to refute fallacious drivel, why would I do this
    You're claiming it's fallacious yet cannot explain why... :rolleyes:
    The thing is though, that I'm not claiming the majority found it hard. I specified that the majority of people that I've spoken to found it difficult. I'm not pompous enough to assume the fifty or so people I've heard from represent the opinion of the thousands of others who sat the paper.

It's fantastic that you and everyone you know found the paper so p1ss easy, but don't start assuming that the majority of students also found it so, and that anyone who disagrees hasn't worked. You're in no position to make such claims.

Well I'm sorry that I didn't deem it necessary to include an extra 3 words (that I know) in my post, due to the fact that there aren't many people giving out about the paper and most everyone that I know found it easy, along with our teachers saying it was easy.
    Also, I kind of am in that position seeing as I found it easy because I worked. :P I kid.

See here's where you're wrong! As I've already said before (you seem to have a problem comprehending certain things), I did put in the work. Last year, I did not put in the work. I got a B1. The reason I'm repeating is because, admittedly, I didn't put in enough work last year. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book, and be unnecessarily arrogant (except, in my case, it's the truth) - I'm excellent at maths. Never had a problem doing any sort of question on Paper 1. Can do them all without any sort of a problem. But I found this paper quite tough. I find it difficult to believe that you've spoken to an amount of people that found it simple comparable to the amount that have voiced their displeasure. Which is why your claims that the majority found it simple is so silly.

And no, you're wrong about the radio shows. They're specifically saying that this years paper was significantly more difficult than other years. Perhaps you have hearing difficulties as well as reading.

I'm sure you've got your A1 (wink wink). And I'm equally sure your pride won't let you admit anything else when you get your results and you scurry to post them on here. After all, you couldn't have all them internets peoples believing that you're anything less than a genius! ;) It's OK, I won't let them in on your "secret".

See the thing here is, you're a repeat student. I bet this time last year you thought you had done enough, it would all be fine, and then you failed. Don't answer that, I don't care for denials etc. And I bet this is the same nonsense, you claim to have worked but you clearly haven't if you found that paper hard. You claim to be excellent at maths, how in the hell could you have found that paper hard? I nearly laughed when I read that. Everyone but the dossers in my school found it easy.

Again, how many people are going to ring up Joe Duffy to whinge about how the maths paper was too easy? None. The reason that's all you're hearing on the radio is because people like to blame others for their faults (in this case, a lack of study) and of course the media is going to indulge in anything which criticises the state.

Again, name calling and sarcasm aren't going to help anyone here. You seem to think I'm some sort of grade-grubbing egotist. I'm not here for praise or whatever. I'm commenting because you guys are trying your best to portray yourselves as the poor little victims, and the SEC as the big mean bullies.

• Advertisement

You're claiming it's fallacious yet cannot explain why... :rolleyes:

hurr red herring

hurr red herring

Why are you still posting? I also find it strange that you won't respond to anyone else in that thread.

See the thing here is, you're a repeat student. I bet this time last year you thought you had done enough, it would all be fine, and then you failed. Don't answer that, I don't care for denials etc. And I bet this is the same nonsense, you claim to have worked but you clearly haven't if you found that paper hard. You claim to be excellent at maths, how in the hell could you have found that paper hard? I nearly laughed when I read that. Everyone but the dossers in my school found it easy.

Again, how many people are going to ring up Joe Duffy to whinge about how the maths paper was too easy? None. The reason that's all you're hearing on the radio is because people like to blame others for their faults (in this case, a lack of study) and of course the media is going to indulge in anything which criticises the state.

Again, name calling and sarcasm aren't going to help anyone here. You seem to think I'm some sort of grade-grubbing egotist. I'm not here for praise or whatever. I'm commenting because you guys are trying your best to portray yourselves as the poor little victims, and the SEC as the big mean bullies.

Well, kid, I actually repeated because I simply could not make my mind up on what I wanted to do. But thank you for deciding my motives for me! Thanks for that! I didn't fail any subject by the way, but I did get a D2 in both French and Art (both higher level). How's that for you, a bit of honesty, eh? You're not used to the truth I'd imagine! Also got an A1 in English and the rest were B's.

You think I havn't worked because I found the paper hard? Sorry, but you're an unrivalled ****wit. We had some idiots on this board this time last year, but you take the cake. You're obviously one of those annoying little chubby kids who comes out of every exam saying they've done well. Different story when you get the results, kid!

Again, you are severely missing the point. Try reading! I'm guessing the comprehensions didn't go too well for you in English. The paper was said to be significantly MORE difficult than other years! You can't seem to grasp this. This has been said by teachers, examiners etc. I know for a fact that it was harder than other years. So, again, you're quite wrong on that one! But keep pretending you're not, denial is a great thing! I'm sure everyone in your school found it simple. ;)

I'm not trying to blame anyone for the Paper being difficult (except perhaps the people who made the paper, as it was significantly different than other years). Again, you can tell me I didn't study all you want. You're a little internet warrior, that's for sure. You'd never say that to my face. You're a facetious little wankstain!

Nowhere have I portrayed myself as a victim, merely voiced my displeasure. I'm allowed to do that. You then came in with your little tyrade, saying it was simple. I'm sure people look up to you on the internetz now lulz! Try and argue all you want, but you won't win. You see, I'm smarter than you. You use, well, peculiar logic. And you're clearly a troll. So good night. Get some sleep kid. You're e-friends will still be here in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

Could anyone tell me what answer they gor for 6(c){ii0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If it's on the course, it's in your book. Unless your teacher isn't doing their job properly (which is a seperate matter) they have covered at least 6 questions for P1. Which means it wasn't new material.

Perhaps you can explain why its not in my book then? My teacher would have covered it if was either in the book or in the papers from previous years....

Well, kid, I actually repeated because I simply could not make my mind up on what I wanted to do. But thank you for deciding my motives for me! Thanks for that! I didn't fail any subject by the way, but I did get a D2 in both French and Art (both higher level). How's that for you, a bit of honesty, eh? You're not used to the truth I'd imagine! Also got an A1 in English and the rest were B's.

You think I havn't worked because I found the paper hard? Sorry, but you're an unrivalled ****wit. We had some idiots on this board this time last year, but you take the cake. You're obviously one of those annoying little chubby kids who comes out of every exam saying they've done well. Different story when you get the results, kid!

Again, you are severely missing the point. Try reading! I'm guessing the comprehensions didn't go too well for you in English. The paper was said to be significantly MORE difficult than other years! You can't seem to grasp this. This has been said by teachers, examiners etc. I know for a fact that it was harder than other years. So, again, you're quite wrong on that one! But keep pretending you're not, denial is a great thing! I'm sure everyone in your school found it simple. ;)

I'm not trying to blame anyone for the Paper being difficult (except perhaps the people who made the paper, as it was significantly different than other years). Again, you can tell me I didn't study all you want. You're a little internet warrior, that's for sure. You'd never say that to my face. You're a facetious little wankstain!

Nowhere have I portrayed myself as a victim, merely voiced my displeasure. I'm allowed to do that. You then came in with your little tyrade, saying it was simple. I'm sure people look up to you on the internetz now lulz! Try and argue all you want, but you won't win. You see, I'm smarter than you. You use, well, peculiar logic. And you're clearly a troll. So good night. Get some sleep kid. You're e-friends will still be here in the morning.

I don't know why you're calling me kid, you don't know how old I am.
    Yes, I'm going to believe that you put yourself through another year of school and another leaving cert instead of trying to find a job or simply drawing the dole as everyone else in that position does. That sounds sooo likely... You obviously failed a subject because you slacked off, and you can't stand to admit it to people who don't even know you.

When did I once lie, in anything I have ever said to you? You're going way off the topic of discussion here.

I'm chubby am I? That's interesting to hear from someone who has never seen me, it shows you're pulling things out of nowhere. My weight is completely irrelevant. Also I don't do that because I know how disheartening it can be. And finally when I say I've done well I almost always have. I predicted my JC results almost perfectly. It's not as if that's relevant either though.

The English was fine, thankyou for taking an interest :D

Why would I lie about everyone I know finding it easy? Come on, I challenge you to give me one logical reason.

It really, really wasn't.

I'd have no problem saying anything to your face, I am quite capable of handling myself if that's what you mean :D

What's so bad about me saying it was simple? Do you have some sort of inferiority complex and you can't stand people looking better than you at anything?

And how is my logic peculiar?
    I'd like to see how you'd substantiate your claims that you're smarter than me too. Did you take the DATS? Any IQ tests? I can assure you I'm smarter than you.

Also, reported.

Perhaps you can explain why its not in my book then? My teacher would have covered it if was either in the book or in the papers from previous years....
    You still haven't told me what parts you found so difficult... what parts do you not think were in your book, and what book do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I never got why people who were going for A1's in pass didn't just do honours. I took a look at your paper and it seemed a little trickery than usual, questions like question 3. Our paper on the other hand was all standard kinda stuff, if you did the work, you were grand.

I never got why people who were going for A1's in pass didn't just do honours. I took a look at your paper and it seemed a little trickery than usual, questions like question 3. Our paper on the other hand was all standard kinda stuff, if you did the work, you were grand.

The amount of time you need to spend at honours is way out of proportion to the results you would achieve. What I mean is you'd be spending an equal amount of time at maths as all your other subjects combined, when honours maths doesn't give you any bonus points (except in UL) and you only have to have it for engineering/computer science courses and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bearcub

@monkeymanmatt

surely you see a fairly significant change between the part C's this year and the ones from the last 10 years ?

judging by some of the C parts , specifically Q8 v , and Q2+3 Cs . were very difficult for a pass paper. i think your statement of "simple" is a bit off, and stating that the reason we find them hard is because we're slackers is frankly a bit arrogant and insensitive.

just my 2 cents, and please don't think i'm feeling sorry for myself, **** happens and i'll stand by my result.

• Advertisement

bearcub wrote: »
    @monkeymanmatt

surely you see a fairly significant change between the part C's this year and the ones from the last 10 years ?

judging by some of the C parts , specifically Q8 v , and Q2+3 Cs . were very difficult for a pass paper. i think your statement of "simple" is a bit off, and stating that the reason we find them hard is because we're slackers is frankly a bit arrogant and insensitive.

just my 2 cents, and please don't think i'm feeling sorry for myself, **** happens and i'll stand by my result.

I don't see too much of a difference to be honest. It's the same level of maths.

I don't mean to call everyone who had a slight bit of difficulty with the paper a slacker. I'm talking about these people that are moaning about how the paper was impossible and will no doubt complain ceaselessly if they end up with a fail.

I respect your attitude man :)

Advertisement