Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

The amount of time you need to spend at honours is way out of proportion to the results you would achieve. What I mean is you'd be spending an equal amount of time at maths as all your other subjects combined, when honours maths doesn't give you any bonus points (except in UL) and you only have to have it for engineering/computer science courses and the like.

I suppose, it's fine for me. My time spent in maths helps my applied maths majorly as well as my physics to a certain extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I don't know why you're calling me kid, you don't know how old I am.

Sorry, was going by your maturity level.
    Yes, I'm going to believe that you put yourself through another year of school and another leaving cert instead of trying to find a job or simply drawing the dole as everyone else in that position does. That sounds sooo likely... You obviously failed a subject because you slacked off, and you can't stand to admit it to people who don't even know you.

My lord, you really are simple. Firstly, you think trying to find a job now, NOW, is a better option than repeating? Are you actually serious? With the amount of problems people are having finding work? I won't comment on how that makes you sound. Secondly, you think it's better to draw the dole than repeat? Seriously? Honestly, you have some sort of mental diffiency. Finally, if you really think that the only reason people repeat is because they failed a subject, you're extremely ignorant and naive. But we already knew that. For the record, I didn't fail anything, but if it makes you feel better you can continue to believe that. After all, we already know you believe alot of things that aren't true.
    When did I once lie, in anything I have ever said to you? You're going way off the topic of discussion here.

"The majority of people found the paper simple." This is factually incorrect, whether you found it easy or not.
    I'm chubby am I? That's interesting to hear from someone who has never seen me, it shows you're pulling things out of nowhere. My weight is completely irrelevant. Also I don't do that because I know how disheartening it can be. And finally when I say I've done well I almost always have. I predicted my JC results almost perfectly. It's not as if that's relevant either though.

Just a vibe I get. You seem to need to put others down to make yourself feel better. Usually a tactic employed by people who aren't very popular or who have low self-esteem. Which isn't necessarily your fault, you just need to stop being so arrogant and the problem might be solved.
    The English was fine, thankyou for taking an interest :D

I doubt it was, and I wasn't taking interest, merely passing comment.
    Why would I lie about everyone I know finding it easy? Come on, I challenge you to give me one logical reason.

You want to put others down, and you do this by pretending that everyone thinks it was easy. Clearly not the case. But I digress.
    I'd have no problem saying anything to your face, I am quite capable of handling myself if that's what you mean :D

Really doubt that. But those internet warriors are scary! ;)
    What's so bad about me saying it was simple? Do you have some sort of inferiority complex and you can't stand people looking better than you at anything?

Absolutely nothing wrong with you saying it was simple. The problem comes when you call me lazy for no particular reason, and then try to justify your general arrogance and ignorance by insisting everyone thought it was easy (when they didn't).
    And how is my logic peculiar?

See above.
    Also, reported.

Oh noes!!!! How will I be big up my internet ego now?!!!

You still haven't told me what parts you found so difficult... what parts do you not think were in your book, and what book do you have?

I have no intention of looking at the paper again, and certainly no intention of going to the bother of telling you which parts I found difficult. I don't need to justify anything to you. But I will take exception when you are being a dick for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

moneyman wrote: »

My lord, you really are simple. Firstly, you think trying to find a job now, NOW, is a better option than repeating? Are you actually serious? With the amount of problems people are having finding work? I won't comment on how that makes you sound. Secondly, you think it's better to draw the dole than repeat? Seriously? Honestly, you have some sort of mental diffiency. Finally, if you really think that the only reason people repeat is because they failed a subject, you're extremely ignorant and naive. But we already knew that. For the record, I didn't fail anything, but if it makes you feel better you can continue to believe that. After all, we already know you believe alot of things that aren't true.

"The majority of people found the paper simple." This is factually incorrect, whether you found it easy or not.

Just a vibe I get. You seem to need to put others down to make yourself feel better. Usually a tactic employed by people who aren't very popular or who have low self-esteem. Which isn't necessarily your fault, you just need to stop being so arrogant and the problem might be solved.

I doubt it was, and I wasn't taking interest, merely passing comment.

You want to put others down, and you do this by pretending that everyone thinks it was easy. Clearly not the case. But I digress.

Really doubt that. But those internet warriors are scary! ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with you saying it was simple. The problem comes when you call me lazy for no particular reason, and then try to justify your general arrogance and ignorance by insisting everyone thought it was easy (when they didn't).

See above.

Oh noes!!!! How will I be big up my internet ego now?!!!

I have no intention of looking at the paper again, and certainly no intention of going to the bother of telling you which parts I found difficult. I don't need to justify anything to you. But I will take exception when you are being a dick for no reason.
    Yes, I think drawing the dole is a better choice than repeating if you didn't fail. Repeating, as I'm sure you're aware, is quite expensive.

The majority of people I spoke to about it, which was a large number of people, found it easy. Just because a small number of people came on here/the radio to complain about it doesn't mean it was hard.

Eh... a vibe? You get the vibe that I'm fat? That makes sense. I'm not putting anyone down, I said the paper was simple. I'm allowed to do that. I'm not putting anyone down, despite what you might think. You, on the other hand...

Well it was, thanks. :D

Again, I'm not pretending anything. Why would I bother? If I wanted to troll I wouldn't do it here.

Where do you live? I'll meet up with you if you want to sort this out like a man instead of whining away with your keyboard. I'm in Kerry, if you feel like coming down I'll meet up with you whenever. :)

They really did think it was simple. The only people who didn't were the slackers. You're repeating because you failed/didn't get the points you wanted = you didn't put the work in, and you probably haven't this time either.

I don't know, perhaps you could try making yourself look hard by resorting to name-calling and threats again?

As for that last bit, that wasn't for you, that was for Neon-Circles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Why does your location say ''the wesht'' if you're from Kerry. Btw I will happily accept my result on the day as I know I'm not great at maths it's just I thought the paper was a bit hard compared to recent years. It's over now, nothing can be done. Bring on paper 2!!!

Yes, I think drawing the dole is a better choice than repeating if you didn't fail. Repeating, as I'm sure you're aware, is quite expensive.

The majority of people I spoke to about it, which was a large number of people, found it easy. Just because a small number of people came on here/the radio to complain about it doesn't mean it was hard.

Eh... a vibe? You get the vibe that I'm fat? That makes sense. I'm not putting anyone down, I said the paper was simple. I'm allowed to do that. I'm not putting anyone down, despite what you might think. You, on the other hand...

Well it was, thanks. :D

Again, I'm not pretending anything. Why would I bother? If I wanted to troll I wouldn't do it here.

Where do you live? I'll meet up with you if you want to sort this out like a man instead of whining away with your keyboard. I'm in Kerry, if you feel like coming down I'll meet up with you whenever. :)

They really did think it was simple. The only people who didn't were the slackers. You're repeating because you failed/didn't get the points you wanted = you didn't put the work in, and you probably haven't this time either.

I don't know, perhaps you could try making yourself look hard by resorting to name-calling and threats again?

As for that last bit, that wasn't for you, that was for Neon-Circles. :D

Drawing the dole and not going to college is in no way, shape or form better than repeating. I can't even comprehend how anyone would imagine that. Repeating has it's expenses but if you have a medical card it's not so bad.

Again, your insinuation that only a small amount of people found it difficult is preposterous. But there's no point arguing this point anymore. You're sticking to your lies.

Not putting anyone down? You don't think you're putting anyone down when you say the only people who found it hard are the slackers/lazy people? I know you might not understand this, but you don't know everyone's situation. You can't make assertions like that unless you want to come across as an arrogant idiot.

Here is the perfect place to troll. Where else would you do it? :confused:

Ya, I'm really going to travel half the country to meet you. However, if I ever am heading that direction, I'll give you a PM. Keep an eye out. I'd love to get you in person, don't think you'd be quite so arrogant face to face. I'm sure you'll be just as willing to meet me when the time comes. Internet warrior. ;)

Nope, I'm repeating because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Had an offer from UCD but turned it down. You can pretend I'm lying, though, if it makes you feel superior. :)

Not trying to look hard, just being honest. You were the one who started this with your snide comments. And I know for a fact your arrogance would disappear if we were face to face. You really don't know me.

Anyway, I'm finished with you. I think everyone can see you for what you are. I'm sure you'll do just super in the rest of your exams. ;) I bid you adieu, madam. And if there's an ignore button, I'll get my first use of it! :D

• Advertisement

Finical wrote: »
    Why does your location say ''the wesht'' if you're from Kerry. Btw I will happily accept my result on the day as I know I'm not great at maths it's just I thought the paper was a bit hard compared to recent years. It's over now, nothing can be done. Bring on paper 2!!!

Perhaps because she is too scared to tell me her real location? Not that I'd do anything. Or perhaps it's the compulsive lying kicking in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

It's not hugely expensive, sure it's not cheap but it's worth it you get your course. Anyway it's money that can be earned back easy once said repeat has graduated in 3+ years. Honestly why would anyone choose search for a job in this economic climate rather than attempted to get into college? Are you honestly telling me that if you didn't get your course you'd give up and spend your life drawing the dole? Really? Honestly at your intelligence I'm amazed it isn't foundation level maths your doing. That would actually explain a lot.

Finical wrote: »

It's a common occurrence for people in the countryside (I'm not Kerry born and bred) to add a "H" after an s, e.g. that's the shtuff. EDIT: also, that's a great attitude to have instead of jumping on the bandwagon :)
    Drawing the dole and not going to college is in no way, shape or form better than repeating. I can't even comprehend how anyone would imagine that. Repeating has it's expenses but if you have a medical card it's not so bad.

Again, your insinuation that only a small amount of people found it difficult is preposterous. But there's no point arguing this point anymore. You're sticking to your lies.

Not putting anyone down? You don't think you're putting anyone down when you say the only people who found it hard are the slackers/lazy people? I know you might not understand this, but you don't know everyone's situation. You can't make assertions like that unless you want to come across as an arrogant idiot.

Here is the perfect place to troll. Where else would you do it? :confused:

Ya, I'm really going to travel half the country to meet you. However, if I ever am heading that direction, I'll give you a PM. Keep an eye out. I'd love to get you in person, don't think you'd be quite so arrogant face to face. I'm sure you'll be just as willing to meet me when the time comes. Internet warrior. ;)

Nope, I'm repeating because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Had an offer from UCD but turned it down. You can pretend I'm lying, though, if it makes you feel superior. :)

Not trying to look hard, just being honest. You were the one who started this with your snide comments. And I know for a fact your arrogance would disappear if we were face to face. You really don't know me.

Anyway, I'm finished with you. I think everyone can see you for what you are. I'm sure you'll do just super in the rest of your exams. ;) I bid you adieu, madam. And if there's an ignore button, I'll get my first use of it! :D

Not everyone has a medical card. It's still a waste of a year unless you didn't get your points for what you wanted/didn't matriculate. Which you obviously didn't if you turned a place down. Unless you're just afraid of the big bad world outside of school?

It was a small amount of people. Why is that so hard for your feeble mind to understand? There are indeed people who are just not good at maths. However, there are plenty more who have the ability, but can't be bothered to put in the work and consequently find themselves back in school come September.

Oh yes, I would totally risk getting banned from a very helpful forum :rolleyes: There are plenty of other places for that crap.

I look receiving that PM, although I doubt I'll ever get it.

You're being honest by calling me fat and stupid? You've never met me, don't have a clue what I look like, and have just done badly in an exam I flew through. Ok then...

My friend, I appreciate your attempts to intimidate me, but unless you're actually going to follow through and pay me a visit, kindly STFU.

Also, you seem to be confused with your third person pronouns. The 'man' in my username means you refer to me as 'he' when talking about me. Surely you can speak English properly? Or are you just gender-confused? :D

Lawliet wrote: »
    It's not hugely expensive, sure it's not cheap but it's worth it you get your course. Anyway it's money that can be earned back easy once said repeat has graduated in 3+ years. Honestly why would anyone choose search for a job in this economic climate rather than attempted to get into college? Are you honestly telling me that if you didn't get your course you'd give up and spend your life drawing the dole? Really? Honestly at your intelligence I'm amazed it isn't foundation level maths your doing. That would actually explain a lot.
    Oh dear, it seems someone isn't reading properly. He claims to have gotten his points and says he didn't fail anything, but still repeated. Why, oh why, would you do that? Please tell me, I'm intrigued.
    Oh, and more insults! Very mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

moneyman and munkymanmatt, this is entertaining:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Conor108 wrote: »
    moneyman and Cohen Melted Pushcart, this is entertaining:)
    No, it's not, it's extremely childish!
    However, don't call me lazy again (if you do, you're admitting to being a raging homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that). You know nothing about me, you bellend.
    Sorry, but you're an unrivalled ****wit. We had some idiots on this board this time last year, but you take the cake. You're obviously one of those annoying little chubby kids who comes out of every exam saying they've done well.

You're a facetious little wankstain!
    Banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse.

And Cohen Melted Pushcart, get down off your high horse before he dumps you in a ditch.

You found the paper easy, great. Others didn't, it doesn't make them either lazy or stupid.

/end of.

Oh dear, it seems someone isn't reading properly. He claims to have gotten his points and says he didn't fail anything, but still repeated.
    Because he changed his mind about what he wanted to do, perhaps? And decided to repeat and aim for higher points?

General comment: This forum does not tolerate personal abuse, or threats of violence, or indeed idiots having virtual pissing contests.

My patience has been sorely tried by what I have just read in this thread.

I would not advise trying it any further!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SEInvincible

Alright people i found it quite hard. i need a c3 :S anyone help me on these ?

Q1

B ii

221 = .85 = 260

260 x .14 = 36.4

260 + 36.4 = 296.4

8 iii

x^3 - 3x +1

3x^2 - 3

Let = 0

3x^2 -3 = 0

3(x^2 - 1 ) = 0

x = 3 and x = 1

i ended up with the points 3, 19 and 1,-1.

7 b ii

i got 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

I agree. I am repeating this year in a school with a full 7th year for people who repeat (100 people). A lot of them didn't repeat because they failed. And repeating is a very good option right now instead of heading out into the world where there are so few jobs available.

Anyway guys and girls, it's over now. just focus on paper 2 before drawing up your horrible conclusion. Mightened be so bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fete wrote: »
    I agree. I am repeating this year in a school with a full 7th year for people who repeat (100 people). A lot of them didn't repeat because they failed. And repeating is a very good option right now instead of heading out into the world where there are so few jobs available.
    Perfectly valid point, but please let it go now.

This argument is officially over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

Did anyone get these co-ordinates for 6c(ii) (-1,4) and (1,-4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

296.4 is right. Cud sum1 put answers up.
    Alright people i found it quite hard. i need a c3 :S anyone help me on these ?

Q1

B ii

221 = .85 = 260

260 x .14 = 36.4

260 + 36.4 = 296.4

8 iii

x^3 - 3x +1

3x^2 - 3

Let = 0

3x^2 -3 = 0

3(x^2 - 1 ) = 0

x = 3 and x = 1

i ended up with the points 3, 19 and 1,-1.

7 b ii

i got 20?

bobsy wrote: »
    Did anyone get these co-ordinates for 6c(ii) (-1,4) and (1,-4)

I don't have the paper in front of me but those co-ordinates sound familiar so I'd say you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Lawliet wrote: »
    Where's this majority you keep talking about? Because the majority of people I've spoken to or heard from -both on the internet, from other students in my school and even the teachers- thought it wasn't a nice paper at all. I'm a repeat, got a B1 last year and was only a few marks off an A. I've spent the last year going over and over every past paper and mock I could get my hands on and I still thought some parts of that paper were nasty.

This isn't a few people complaining about an exam because they haven't done the work, (knowing the swots who hang out on this board I bet they've all been working their arses off :p). This is a lot of people complaining about a genuinely tough paper.

As I've said before I disagree with people who though it was a hard paper :) Challenging paper by all means, but nothing there was too difficult and I think most people should do just fine.. :)

There was a few notable changes this year but if you read the question carefully it shouldn't have caught you out too much. (E.g. Q7)

That's just my point of view on it anyway. Then again, I'm pretty good at maths :P I've been getting constant A's and B's all year so I'm really hoping to get an A1 in this exam :D

I must get my teachers point of view on it though. Would love to see what she thought of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 escalate

The paper is decent for the former honours students,high achievers,and students with natural mathematical capabilities.However,the paper is unfair for pass students,who did place a great amount of work throughout the years,and students with mediocre mathematical capabilities.In conclusion,the paper itself is not quite so ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

escalate wrote: »
    The paper is decent for the former honours students,high achievers,and students with natural mathematical capabilities.However,the paper is unfair for pass students,who did place a great amount of work throughout the years,and students with mediocre mathematical capabilities.In conclusion,the paper itself is not quite so ordinary.

/thread :)

Advertisement