Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

stainluss wrote: »
    I think that they are trying to bridge the gap a bit. (Lets face it there was quite a large one)

Isnt that what project maths is SUPPOSED to be doing..

I did pretty ****e in that paper.. Doubt I got much more than 50% but need a B3 for my course :(

Im just praying that my Project maths paper on monday saves me!!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

That was definitely the hardest OL Maths paper in the last 5 years. I've done most of them in the paper and got on fine, that was a bit of a **** though.

The Q Cs were ridiculous..:(

And Im annoyed everyone was saying Higher Level was a doss. **** sake they must be really closing the gap. :rolleyes:

Anyway anyone know how to do Q 1 C ii?? Some Compound Interest one I never seen before and wasn't in these magic tables...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

stainluss wrote: »
    I'd say I got 70%, I was expecting it to be much easier than it was.

I heard HL Maths was easier than usual, I think that they are trying to bridge the gap a bit. (Lets face it there was quite a large one)

I dont think its fair, however, as the last 3 years papers were much easier:( Especially for the people that struggle to pass and were practicing them years.
    But thats life:rolleyes:

Being the start of a new decade I'd say they wanted to change it around. The questions were much harder then the ones found in the past papers imo. I found paper one rather hard. Maths is one of my weakest subjects btw.

On an unrelated note :If I was to fail paper one badly, depending on how many marks I got, could I still pass by doing well in paper 2 ? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

That was the weirdest paper I have ever done in maths....

Felt sooo weird for some reason. As if it wasn't the Leaving and it was some crappy made up mock...

Meh, did ok though.
    I feel strange though. Maybe I should lie down...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

DB10 wrote: »
    Anyway anyone know how to do Q 1 C ii?? Some Compound Interest one I never seen before and wasn't in these magic tables...:mad:

That was feckin impossible hadnt a breeze how to do it!!!
    also the Q8 part (C) was impossible where k had like three values r something! rough:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Got mostly part A and Bs right, some part Cs were very hard. The long division in algebra one was unusual. Apparently I got the same as my friend but I skipped thinking my answer was ridiculous, didn't do the last part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

hopefully that horrible paper didn't just cost me my place in college. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Basically divide one by the other

220/228.80, get 4%. Then the overall sum was 5500. (220 is 4% of it)

Wow, you mean to say I did three pages of rough work to get that answer, and you've just done it in about 4 calculations.

Dam. :)
    Orlaladuck wrote: »
    I'm generally fine at maths but that was Really difficult! I'm hoping for a C now, was hoping for an A or high B.
    What the Hell was with Q7?! First principles is NEVER there!
    Really horrible paper =(
    Yeah, bit awkward alright...

DB10 wrote: »

Someone told me afterwards that the formula can be found in the financial mathematics section.

I was happy enough with today's paper. However, regret not doing more study and more preparation and had I not had geography today also, I would have studied two or three awkward questions and undoubtedly got an A2 at least. Way it is now, I got about 75-80%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Wasn't overjoyed when I opened it first but worked out ok in the end..just finished it in time by a hair:o

Anyone got the answer for Q1 C (i)?

Seems it was part (ii) giving most people trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

Eh im gutted!!!

I repeated this year if even though i got a high C in maths I wanted a B!
    But OMG that was sooo hard!!!!!

So cruel :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Blay wrote: »
    Wasn't overjoyed when I opened it first but worked out ok in the end..just finished it in time by a hair:o

I got €7444 for it I think... could be very wrong though, im terrible at maths!

Blay wrote: »

7,500 rounded off

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I was hoping for an A but now I'm not too sure, it was pretty hard for an ordinary level paper.

Yeah me too, A2, but the paper wasnt permitting. Im hoping ill get next to full marks in Paper 2 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

7,500 rounded off
    I also got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

ah well, i got something like 7443.6 or something so I rounded it off to 7444! probably misread the quesion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bubbz

madlad88 wrote: »
    That was feckin impossible hadnt a breeze how to do it!!!
    also the Q8 part (C) was impossible where k had like three values r something! rough:(

I think the three answers for K was where they all touched on th x-axis for the graph.. Can anyone confirm this?
    The differenciation for speed and acceleration was sneaky this year imo. They gave you the speed without you you having to differinciate first which I think coud have caught out a lot of people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Mau5 wrote: »
    ah well, i got something like 7443.6 or something so I rounded it off to 7444! probably misread the quesion

Got the same too..let's hope it's right:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I thought that was the easiest paper i'd ever done...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

hokeypokey wrote: »
    I thought that was the easiest paper i'd ever done...
    PISS OFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

That paper was simple... I don't mean to sound cocky but I'm expecting 100% or thereabouts from it :pac:
    I did 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and I only had to really stop and think twice through the entire paper. I can't understand how anyone thought it was really hard or whatever... nearly everyone in my year thought it was way too easy.

• Advertisement

What were your graphs like for Q8? Were the points (-3, -17) etc to (3,-19)??

And how did ye all do on part (c) of Q.7??
    The times that the speed of the object were 0 and 10 yes? Anyone else get this?

Weren't too many nice Q's on this paper and the fact that the Diff., from 1st principles was only worth 10marks can only be described as quite fecking annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Princess3

Mau5 wrote: »
    I got €7444 for it I think... could be very wrong though, im terrible at maths!

I got that too!! :) Not sure if it's right though but ah well

I got the 7444 answer aswell.. cant remember how I got it..

We might get 7 marks tho eh? :)

I am now going to have to waste valuable Irish study time, studying maths to make sure I pass. Thanks State Exams. Thanks alot. >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

im nearly sure i go 7500 when it was rounded ...?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bubbz

PARARORY wrote: »
    Yea I got that too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

My maths teacher said that Q8 c (ii) was a tough Question for an honours paper..

Found the part c's Pretty tough like.. Prob got a B1 in paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

cork*girl wrote: »
    I got the 7444 answer aswell.. cant remember how I got it..
    PARARORY wrote: »

Maybe there are two magic answers and everyone can be a winner :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

for 1c did anyone work backwards from the sum given, i kept subtracting the 5 percent, some of the c parts were quite hard

What were your graphs like for Q8? Were the points (-3, -17) etc to (3,-19)??

And how did ye all do on part (c) of Q.7??
    The times that the speed of the object were 0 and 10 yes? Anyone else get this?

Weren't too many nice Q's on this paper and the fact that the Diff., from 1st principles was only worth 10marks can only be described as quite fecking annoying...

I got (-3, -17) but I got (3, 19) I knew my graph wouldnt be correct >:(

will I get 7 marks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

i thaught you could get the solutions straight away on sec???
    i really want to know the awnsers so i will see how much work i need to do for paper 2 ...

Advertisement