Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

PARARORY wrote: »
    For the q7 about speed / acceleration i got exactly what you've all been saying.

And fridayswell i did the same as u - putting both 0 and 8 seconds down as it did say timeS

Kind of strange the way it said times and not time. Havn't seen that before but very easy to spot and figure out.

Go us;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

feck.. I think I wrote down on my page that I put in 8..

it will be a blunder anyway.. I will get a few marks hopefully..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

anyone do question 5 c (i) ?.. where u had ti find the common ratio which

is usually 2nd term divide by 1st term bu they gave the 4th nd 7th term

think i worked out de 1st nd 2nd term wrong tho or did u not need ti find 1st nd 2nd term ????? ..any1 help on this please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I thought it was a nice paper! :)

Only part that caught me out for a little was

Q1(c)(ii) - Worked it out using Logic in the end..

Q5(c) - Again used logic to work it out..

Q8(v) - No clue :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

neiler987 wrote: »
    anyone do question 5 c (i) ?.. where u had ti find the common ratio which

is usually 2nd term divide by 1st term bu they gave the 4th nd 7th term

think i worked out de 1st nd 2nd term wrong tho or did u not need ti find 1st nd 2nd term ????? ..any1 help on this please ?

Hello .. ok i dont know if ill get any marks for this but i worked this out logically.. i just started multiplying 9 by random numbers... example 9x3=27,27x3=81,81x3=243 and i knew this was correct considering it was the 7th term...

how did you get on in q5 part a???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Q7 (c) i: 0 and 10 seconds
    ii: 20 m/s squared (or m/s/s)
    iii: T>5. For this one you needed to find where DV/DT was 0 (the turning point) and as the curve (of acceleration) began rising and ended falling, anything after 5 was negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cli101

Mau5 wrote: »
    I got €7444 for it I think... could be very wrong though, im terrible at maths!

i got that too!!...unless were both wrong??im sooo bad at maths :confused:

iii: T>5. For this one you needed to find where DV/DT was 0 (the turning point) and as the curve (of acceleration) began rising and ended falling, anything after 5 was negative.

Correct :)

Few of my friends didn't notice they only needed to differentiate once to get the acceleration, not twice like the usual questions.. It's the first time the paper has ever been like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yay! I got those! Except for part i I just said 10 seconds. How many marks lost is that d'ya reckon?

Conor108 wrote: »
    Yay! I got those! Except for part i I just said 10 seconds. How many marks lost is that d'ya reckon?

Probably either lose 1 or 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I just realised I forgot to put the model of my calculator down on the front of the exam booklet. :confused: Was so stressed after geography :( Does anyone know if it is a big problem?

Victoria. wrote: »
    I just realised I forgot to put the model of my calculator down on the front of the exam booklet. :confused: Was so stressed after geography :( Does anyone know if it is a big problem?

Probably not.. As far as I know it's just in case the examiners need to verify some calculator work.. Nothing to worry about :)

0.M.GXX wrote: »
    Hello .. ok i dont know if ill get any marks for this but i worked this out logically.. i just started multiplying 9 by random numbers... example 9x3=27,27x3=81,81x3=243 and i knew this was correct considering it was the 7th term...

how did you get on in q5 part a???

no thats nt what i done tho ur probably right !?

heres wat i done... 9=4th term 243=7th term .. 9+78=87 87=5th term

87+78=165 165=6th term 165+78=243 243=7th term !! common difference = 78

so i found de 1st nd 2nd terms by goin backwards frm de 5th term that was given ...
    9-78= -69 69=3rd term 69-78= -147 =2nd term.... -147-78= -225= 1st term

so common ratio = 2nd term divide by 1st term
    -147 divide by -225 = 0.653

thats gotta be so wrong isin it lol :( ?

part C (ii) find 1st term... -225 = 1st term

For Q5(c):

A= 1/3
    R= 3

A.R^n-1

T7=1/3.3^(6)=243

I was really stuck on q5 part c. THINK I got it but just by messing with my calculator in the last 10 mins.

T4 = 9 -> T5 = 9(3)= 27 -> T6 = 27(3) = 81 -> T7 = 81(3) = 243

Therefore R=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

I thought the paper was really fair..was expecting to get a low C but im pretty confident that im well in the Bs now :D hopefully paper 2 wont screw me over:rolleyes:

Conor108 wrote: »
    I was really stuck on q5 part c. THINK I got it but just by messing with my calculator in the last 10 mins.

T4 = 9 -> T5 = 9(3)= 27 -> T6 = 27(3) = 81 -> T7 = 81(3) = 243

Therefore R=3

Look at my post on the last page (:

neiler987 wrote: »
    no thats nt what i done tho ur probably right !?

heres wat i done... 9=4th term 243=7th term .. 9+78=87 87=5th term

87+78=165 165=6th term 165+78=243 243=7th term !! common difference = 78

so i found de 1st nd 2nd terms by goin backwards frm de 5th term that was given ...
    9-78= -69 69=3rd term 69-78= -147 =2nd term.... -147-78= -225= 1st term

so common ratio = 2nd term divide by 1st term
    -147 divide by -225 = 0.653

thats gotta be so wrong isin it lol :( ?

part C (ii) find 1st term... -225 = 1st term

Yes. You have worked this out as though it were an arithmetic sequence (adding a certain amount every term). It was actually a geometric series (multiplying by a certain amount every time). I have never seen someone mix the two up before so I don't know how that will affect your marks.

Partially. You have worked this out as though it were an arithmetic sequence (adding a certain amount every term). It was actually a geometric series (multiplying by a certain amount every time). I have never seen someone mix the two up before so I don't know how that will affect your marks.

He'd only get attempt marks for that I'd say..

thanks Danger781 :)

ya made me look stupid lol :P

• Advertisement

wat wud attempt marks be ..2 or 3 marks yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Thought it was very difficult compared to previous years.
    Did good in Q1 and Q5, but not too good in the rest.
    I think my graph was okay..

Danger781 wrote: »
    He'd only get attempt marks for that I'd say..

I don't know if he'll even get that. He's attempted the wrong question really... It might just be considered a blunder (-3) and they'll mark the answer as if it were arithmetic... But I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Attempt marks are nearly always 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Please does anyone know what happens if you don't put down the calculator number I forgot and I'm freaking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Danger781 wrote: »
    For Q5(c):

A= 1/3
    R= 3

A.R^n-1

T7=1/3.3^(6)=243
    Nice one :D

Cant even remember what my graph looked like. Anyone remember what they got for max and min points on Q8 part iii? I got (1, -1) and (0,1) but nearly certain I made a mess of it

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Please does anyone know what happens if you don't put down the calculator number I forgot and I'm freaking out?

Watch this space for a photo of your paper -http://failblog.org/

Jk =) Nah but seriously i doubt its a big deal. I didnt notice it until my friend told me to do it as we were handing it up!

Consdiering the vigilators dont even mention it i doubt its that important ( our one told us all not to write on the log tables but that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

Did anyone get c=-1 for 3c(i)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

bobsy wrote: »
    Did anyone get c=-1 for 3c(i)

Yup i got that! What did u get for the 2nd part? I got 2 mins square root of 3?

Advertisement