Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

Danger781 wrote: »
    Ehh, it's always been like that..

yeah sorry about that ur right :(

It all depends on how good/bad people do whether the scheme will be affected or not..

so your saying the marking scheme on question 5 part C i ii iii could be lowered from 20 to 15 marks if ppl are doin poor on it ?????

wat part of the question wud they put the 5 marks to then if that happened ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think i did. It says 2 dec places so that sounded the most logical to me

I'm going to assume you're talking about the quadratic formula? You shouldn't have :o
    You were supposed to use the roots alpha and beta... you know, sum of the roots = -b/a, product of the roots = c/a ?

For part i) I think the other root was 2 - root 3
    and for part ii) the roots = 5 (alpha + beta = 10/1) and k = 25 (alpha square or alpha X beta = 25, k/1 = 25)

EDIT:
    It all depends on how good/bad people do whether the scheme will be affected or not..
    Not true. People's performance will not affect the scheme. The only way the scheme can be changed is through mass mis-interpretation, that is to say people thinking the question was asking something, when in fact it was asking something else, and that can't really happen in maths. Also, it would never affect the distribution of marks among the question, only how you can get marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

so your saying the marking scheme on question 5 part C i ii iii could be lowered from 20 to 15 marks if ppl are doin poor on it ?????

It wont be lowered if people are doing bad in it. It will be changed if teachers agree that it was too dificult/unfair for pass students.

Sure if they had basic multiplication on the paper there would be some muppet who would mess it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Yeah, I did.

Ended up with 0.22 and -1.8 or something.. :)

Ended up with -0.40 and -2.80 two decimal places as required.. Q4(c) was a only one which gave me trouble.. z=a+bi Find the value of a and b for which 3z-10i = (2-3i)z

• Advertisement

PARARORY wrote: »
    It wont be lowered if people are doing bad in it. It will be changed if teachers agree that it was too dificult/unfair for pass students.

ah i see ..better ask my maths teacher on monday then ...

if they changed it down ti 15 marks for part c.. where do u think they wud put the 5 marks then ?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the quadratic formula? You shouldn't have :o
    You were supposed to use the roots alpha and beta... you know, sum of the roots = -b/a, product of the roots = c/a ?

For part i) I think the other root was 2 - root 3
    and for part ii) the roots = 5 (alpha + beta = 10/1) and k = 25 (alpha square or alpha X beta = 25, k/1 = 25)

EDIT:

Not true. People's performance will not affect the scheme. The only way the scheme can be changed is through mass mis-interpretation, that is to say people thinking the question was asking something, when in fact it was asking something else, and that can't really happen in maths. Also, it would never affect the distribution of marks among the question, only how you can get marks.

so ur saying theres no chance of the maths marking scheme being changed one its set its set nd thats it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

neiler987 wrote: »
    so ur saying theres no chance of the maths marking scheme being changed one its set its set nd thats it ???

It has happened before so I wouldnt rule it out anyway- I guess it'd be mentioned at the correctors conference

It has happened before so I wouldnt rule it out anyway- I guess it'd be mentioned at the correctors conference

do u know what year the marking scheme waz changed ?
    so i can compare that paper with 2day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not a clue I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

Not a clue I'm afraid!

ok thanks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I think you should just leave it be , you most likely did way better than you think , and besides you wont know if the marking scheme has been changed - maths is over , focus on your exams for next week :)

It is very, very unlikely that the marking scheme would be changed because a lot of students hadn't studied properly :P And if it does get changed over that, not only is it ridiculous, but the people who did their work and were happy with it will not be best pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Really? :eek: That's what I was always told :confused:
    Lib23 wrote: »
    Ended up with -0.40 and -2.80 two decimal places as required.. Q4(c) was a only one which gave me trouble.. z=a+bi Find the value of a and b for which 3z-10i = (2-3i)z

3(a+bi) - 10i = (2-3i)(a+bi)
    3a + 3bi - 10i = 2a + 2bi - 3ai + 3b

Let reals = reals
    3a = 2a + 3b
    a + 3b = 0

Let imaginary = imaginary
    3b - 10 = 2b - 3a
    3a + 3b = 10

Then do simultaneous eq's :)

PARARORY wrote: »
    I think you should just leave it be , you most likely did way better than you think , and besides you wont know if the marking scheme has been changed - maths is over , focus on your exams for next week :)

no m8 i doubt it :(... like ur optimism tho !

i will find out if the marking scheme is changed for that paper if i fail it nd have ti be sitting in maths classes in september :( !

It is very, very unlikely that the marking scheme would be changed because a lot of students hadn't studied properly :P And if it does get changed over that, not only is it ridiculous, but the people who did their work and were happy with it will not be best pleased.

correct unfortunatly :(

Are you kidding me? If that were the case we could all not do a stroke in anything for the year and come out with our A1s :P

Just because a certain portion of the students who sat the exam aren't happy with it does not mean the marking scheme will be affected in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mariabitch

i hate ppl that find o maths handy

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

this was the hardest and most depressing paper ever =[

Are you kidding me? If that were the case we could all not do a stroke in anything for the year and come out with our A1s :P

Just because a certain portion of the students who sat the exam aren't happy with it does not mean the marking scheme will be affected in any way.

no man thats not what were on about

lets say for arguments sake 90% of students did extremely poor on Q7 part C ??... u dont think they will consider changing the marking scheme ?

sure my accounting teacher said that 1 year wen he was correcting accounting papers that other correctors agreed that they will change the marking scheme of the questions themselves 2 that of the markng scheme of the department of education because they thought it waz a very difficult paper compared to other years

so how come that cant happen for maths ???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Paul3point14

Hmm, I think you will get the marks if what you put in kinda works. Attempt marks all the way tho!

I'm not even counting maths for points, I need a B3 in it for most of my courses :( Dunno if thats gonna happen now

I needed a B3 too and I also don't think its gonna happen now cos of that paper :( Unless paper 2 is a piece of cake I'll be waving goodbye to a chance of a B3

this was the hardest and most depressing paper ever =[

i agree with u man :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

Conor108 wrote: »
    I was really stuck on q5 part c. THINK I got it but just by messing with my calculator in the last 10 mins.

T4 = 9 -> T5 = 9(3)= 27 -> T6 = 27(3) = 81 -> T7 = 81(3) = 243

Therefore R=3

I did the exact same thing...
    considering i was =nt going do this question.. im very happy...
    cos i think it all worked... out!!

Personally I thought it was a nice paper :) I was fairly surprised when I saw how many people were complaining it was difficult..

Personally I thought it was a nice paper :) I was fairly surprised when I saw how many people were complaining it was difficult..

just the part Cs were difficult compared to other years
    part As nd Bs were fine like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

Same. The paper this year was definately the hardest in recent years..

Same :( Q1 - 4 was all Right...It ALL went down hill from there :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

bobsy wrote: »
    Did anyone get c=-1 for 3c(i)

yep i got that aswelll... hope its right ..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

3(a+bi) - 10i = (2-3i)(a+bi)
    3a + 3bi - 10i = 2a + 2bi - 3ai + 3b

Let reals = reals
    3a = 2a + 3b
    a + 3b = 0

Let imaginary = imaginary
    3b - 10 = 2b - 3a
    3a + 3b = 10

Then do simultaneous eq's :)

Cool, thats what I got in the end after spending 20mins alone on it ha..

Lib23 wrote: »
    Cool, thats what I got in the end after spending 20mins alone on it ha..

I spent a good half hour on 1(c)(ii)... Couldn't figure the damn thing out for ages.. Eventually got it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mariabitch

agreed i defo faild pur scared now :(

Advertisement