Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths P1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

From what I can remember you had pretty much the same things as me Joey (:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

yous too did well anyway.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Danger781 wrote: »
    From what I can remember you had pretty much the same things as me Joey (:

That's good. I'd say I got around a B3.
    Which I wouldn't have settled for before I went in. But considering how hard it turned out to be, I'll take it. ;)

Paper 2 should be easy enough to make up. Let's hope anyway.

Looking for my A1.. :cool:

escalate wrote: »
    Question 7)c) was presented differently but I am now relieved as I also got the same answers.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier in the thread.. Luckily I noticed it.. Friends of mine didn't :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah...it put speed there already. You didn't have to differentiate to get it.
    Was confusing.

Think I got parts C (ii) and (iii) though, hopefully..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Found the part bs in complex numbers to be very tricky! Didn't have a clue what to do.

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    Yeah...it put speed there already. You didn't have to differentiate to get it.
    Was confusing.

Think I got parts C (ii) and (iii) though, hopefully..

(i) t=0 and t=10
    (ii) 20 m/s/s
    (iii) t>5

Yeah I'm also not sure if I got 7)c)i) right?How did you guys do it?

Let the given equation = 96

Yeah I got those 2...didn't get a though.

And for (iii) I just said 5, not t>5.
    I may lose a mark or two for that.
    Oh well.

• Advertisement

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    Yeah I got those 2...didn't get a though.

And for (iii) I just said 5, not t>5.
    I may lose a mark or two for that.
    Oh well.

That's a blunder I'd say.. probably -1 mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

(i) t=0 and t=10
    (ii) 20 m/s/s
    (iii) t>5

Thank you, I was getting a bit worried hopefully the 2 of us didn't foul it up :p the whole paper was a bit strange didn't feel right at all I still did ok (fingers crossed)

on another note are you allowed take the question papers with you?
    I wrote all the answers i got on the question paper with the intention of giving them to my teacher to give me a general idea of my result but the examiner dude went and took it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jenjenxx

im devastated, im a very weak maths student and it wasnt fair on da people who just want to pass it to get in to college,
    how much marks do u need to pass? if paper 1 is really hard wud dey make paper 2 easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

That paper was a bit of a joke I thought.

Some of the parts were pretty odd, even some of the B parts. Got a B2 last year wanted an A2 this time, looking unlikely now mind. Feck it!!!

Going to go over 260/300 for paper 2, hopefully God will be with me.

Thank you, I was getting a bit worried hopefully the 2 of us didn't foul it up :p the whole paper was a bit strange didn't feel right at all I still did ok (fingers crossed)

on another note are you allowed take the question papers with you?
    I wrote all the answers i got on the question paper with the intention of giving them to my teacher to give me a general idea of my result but the examiner dude went and took it :confused:

I just held onto mine and walked off.. Most people had theirs taken from them :eek:

I just held onto mine and walked off.. Most people had theirs taken from them :eek:

I was bloody pissed off! My examiner is a right flute anyways all jittery and cannot read a clock and i think he's been eyeing me up ;)

jenjenxx wrote: »
    im devastated, im a very weak maths student and it wasnt fair on da people who just want to pass it to get in to college,
    how much marks do u need to pass? if paper 1 is really hard wud dey make paper 2 easier?

40% is a pass

240/600 will get you 40%
    Finical wrote: »
    That paper was a bit of a joke I thought.

Some of the parts were pretty odd, even some of the B parts. Got a B2 last year wanted an A2 this time, looking unlikely now mind. Feck it!!!

Going to go over 260/300 for paper 2, hopefully God will be with me.

I honestly liked the paper.. It was challenging without being insanely difficult :) A few parts were slightly tricky but most people should have been able to do them. I know quite a few are doing pass maths because they simply can't grasp maths, and they may have found understandably difficult. :)

Good luck for Monday :D

96+40t-4t^2=96
    4t^2-40t-192=0
    Divide by 4
    t^2-10t-48=0
    (t )(t )=0

What am I doing wrong?

From what you wrote there..

96 - 96 = -192.. Wait what? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

96+40t-4t^2=96
    4t^2-40t-192=0
    Divide by 4
    t^2-10t-48=0
    (t )(t )=0

What am I doing wrong?

The equation that was given to you, V, was 96+40t-4t^2. Note this was the speed, as said in the question. Therefore, you did not have to find dv/dt to find the speed. You already had it. So the question you were asked was at what values t made 96+40t-4t^2=0 true.

I honestly liked the paper.. It was challenging without being insanely difficult :) A few parts were slightly tricky but most people should have been able to do them. I know quite a few are doing pass maths because they simply can't grasp maths, and they may have found understandably difficult. :)

Good luck for Monday :D
    Thanks, you too!

I know yeah was bit tricky. I'm just a bit annoyed as I practiced through papers loads and even went through the speed, acceleration thing this morning but I have never seen it worded that way. Few new stuff altogether like? :(

• Advertisement

240?:eek:
    I somehow thought it was 220, maybe 230 marks and they might still pass you, depends on the examiner?:confused:

Guys and girls, there is absolutley no point looking back on it now it's done and thats the way its gonna stay. Move on Paper 2 on Monday and Irish, lets just get this s**te done and dusted and enjoy the summer in all its glory :D

dannydfc wrote: »
    240?:eek:
    I somehow thought it was 220, maybe 230 marks and they might still pass you, depends on the examiner?:confused:
    228/600 will get you a pass. I'm fairly certain a pass in maths is 38%! :D

I'm not sure though that theory might be for honours students only. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

jenjenxx wrote: »

i know same im such a weak pass maths student.......ive been doing pass since 1st year! its so unfair on us.......like all the people who dropped only last year or this year are fine for that paper not us...anyway good luck in paper 2 i hope its easier for us! :-( oh btw its now 38% to pass! and if u get all the attempt marks in each question thats 36% of the question....so attemot everything ha thats what im tryin 2 do!

Thanks, you too!

I know yeah was bit tricky. I'm just a bit annoyed as I practiced through papers loads and even went through the speed, acceleration thing this morning but I have never seen it worded that way. Few new stuff altogether like? :(

The acceleration question was phrased differently this year.. They gave the formula already equal to speed so you only needed to differentiate once instead of the usual twice to find acceleration. Guarantee a few people got caught on that one.. :rolleyes:

my god you can not be serious?! 38%?! you must be having a laugh! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

lucybrown wrote: »
    i know same im such a weak pass maths student.......ive been doing pass since 1st year! its so unfair on us.......like all the people who dropped only last year or this year are fine for that paper not us...anyway good luck in paper 2 i hope its easier for us! :-(

I dropped down to pass just after the mocks, and even I had troubled with some of those C's. Hopefully Paper 2 will bring all our grades up.

Owri, may be possible mate.
    Although maybe 37% and they could go soft too?
    :P
    Doubt anything under that would be given a pass anyway.

Okay I get it now,when I made -4t^2 positive the 96 changed to a negative but forgot to change the other 96 to a positive when I brought it over hence adding -96 and -96!What a silly mistake!Lol!

Easy mistake to make :P I do **** like that all the time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

How is 38 a pass? Do you mean a D? I thought 40 was a D?

Advertisement