Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening & how much to priest

• 11-06-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Christening for little son on Sunday and I don't know how much we 'have to' pay the priest. We are not regular church goers are anything and things are tight.

I am hearing €100 but also heard €200... is it really that high*

*(i know it is voluntary but there are certain expectations which we would probably have to honour)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi All,

Christening for little son on Sunday and I don't know how much we 'have to' pay the priest. We are not regular church goers are anything and things are tight.

*(i know it is voluntary but there are certain expectations which we would probably have to honour)

Thanks!!

Surely he'd take a few prayers for his immortal soul and for the suffering children in Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Hi All,

Thanks!!

whatever ye want to give. that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hi All,

Thanks!!

I think both amounts posted are excessive to say the least especially when you take into account that it's fairly standard now that there will be several babies baptised at the same time.

There were a few babies baptised when my young lad was baptised, think there were 4 if I remember correctly and the lot were all christened within 12 minutes. Godparents didn't even get a chance to get out of the pews it was that fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I'm sure if you gave him €50 it would be fine!
    p.s. On the same subject, i find it amazing how people spend thousands on events like wedddings/christenings, yet they begrudge the priest a few euro! (im not including you in this!)

I would have thought €50 was the average and people should give what they can afford. Some families would find €50 a lot of money to give if they're on a very low income or benefits.

I think if there are 5 christenings at the same time and if everyone gave €50 then I think €250 for 12 mins work is more than a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I cant even remember if I gave anything on my last daughter..i'm full sure i didnt..he's a priest..it's his job (sorry vocation).. does the money thats given go back into the church fund to pay for heat etc? is that why you pay the priest? or is it to give to him personally? never thought much about it but now you mention i'd be interested to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

agree with deisemum, 50 is grand as long as you are working but every household is different.
    what is reasonable for one family is expensive for another depending on the households income.
    and priests shouild understand this
    but remember priests are only people in a uniform and should be treated like this and not bowed down too. some are kind and thankful and understanding some are not

and if he does not seem happy with your voluntry donation take the money back and tell him you will forgive him for his churchs sins instead

I second the not to be bowed down to issue as well..was at a confirmation recently and all this kneeling at the bishops feet and applauding him etc didnt sit well with me at all but thats a whole other thread

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I cant even remember if I gave anything on my last daughter..i'm full sure i didnt..he's a priest..it's his job (sorry vocation).. does the money thats given go back into the church fund to pay for heat etc? is that why you pay the priest? or is it to give to him personally? never thought much about it but now you mention i'd be interested to know

would you ask a plumber or carpenter to do a job for free??
    when a priest is asked by somebody to take time to perform a ceremony such as a wedding or a christening, then you shouldnt begrudge the priest a few pound!

I second the not to be bowed down to issue as well..was at a confirmation recently and all this kneeling at the bishops feet and applauding him etc didnt sit well with me at all but thats a whole other thread

I saw the same thing at my son's confirmation last month and felt the same but that was nothing compared to what the bishop came out with in his talk to the children. I was not the only one shocked at the brass neck of him and it has been discussed at great length by so many.

The bishop decided to talk to the children on one of the 8 gifts of confirmation or whatever they're called. There were 8 large posters around the church and each had the word of one of the gifts.

He decided to pick courage and started telling the children that they must have courage to do the right thing even if others are trying to stop them doing the right thing, how it's important to do the right thing etc.

All I could think of was what a hypocrite considering recent revelations of his cowardice to do the right thing. Do as I say and not as I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

would you ask a plumber or carpenter to do a job for free??
    when a priest is asked by somebody to take time to perform a ceremony such as a wedding or a christening, then you shouldnt begrudge the priest a few pound!

I thought priest took a vow of "poverty" :rolleyes:or is that an old wifes tale.
    Cars,housing ,food,maids etc... is what is classed as poverty theses days, we really had a boom / celtic tiger if thats the case

I wonder would they try stop (secretly) performing them if they knew there be no bobs in the hand

johnnyjb wrote: »
    I thought priest took a vow of "poverty" :rolleyes:or is that an old wifes tale.
    Cars,housing ,food,maids etc... is what is classed as poverty theses days, we really had a boom / celtic tiger if thats the case

I wonder would they try stop (secretly) performing them if they knew there be no bobs in the hand

secular priests dont take a vow of poverty, whilst those belonging to a particular orer do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deise red

As someone previously said give what you are comfortable with I gave €50 when my son was christened 2 years ago

I'm confused..does his job not entail weddings, christenings, funerals, confirmations etc? why does a priest have to be paid for a christening yet we dont have to pay him to confirm our children or when they make their communion? The "few pound" is better in my pocket than his seeing as I don't have a maid, free house, car and have children and a house to run..not everyone is my way of thinking i know but i don't see why should pay a priest for doing his job..do we all throw 50 euro in a card everytime he says a mass? no! whats the difference?

if you ask a priest to do a job like a wedding or a christening then you should pay him accordingly!! I'm sure you wouldnt work for free, and I'm certainly sure you wouldnt decide on how much to pay a plumber/carpenter etc on the basis of their circumstances at home!!

You ask someone to do a job, then you pay them!! end of story!

ah so christenings etc are nixers then, aside from their "proper" job of saying mass on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You dont have to give anything. I didnt with mine, I dont see why you would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'm sure if you gave him €50 it would be fine!
    p.s. On the same subject, i find it amazing how people spend thousands on events like wedddings/christenings, yet they begrudge the priest a few euro! (im not including you in this!)

I think €50 would be accecptable.

I remember when I was getting married, we were @ the pre marriage course and some bloke asked how much to pay the priest and the suggested was the equivelent to 1 days working mans wage.

Thats was during the boom all the same - its changed now and a christening is a 20 min jobbie:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

If he declares it to revenue and pays tax on it then its income from employment.

Otherwise its a donation and as such should not be expected at all. Its up to the person giving.

€50 is plenty. They should be doing it for free anyway and even if you gave nothing, they shouldnt hold it against you.

Think about your own hourly salary, then work out how long hes spent on your childs christening (Ive been at some with 8 children being chritened at the same time) and pay him based on your own hourly rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

if you ask a priest to do a job like a wedding or a christening then you should pay him accordingly!! I'm sure you wouldnt work for free, and I'm certainly sure you wouldnt decide on how much to pay a plumber/carpenter etc on the basis of their circumstances at home!!

You ask someone to do a job, then you pay them!! end of story!

eh i thought the priests get a basic salary and any extras they get are supposed too go into the maintenance of the church?unless theyve took a vow of poverty like the francisians?

big difference between jimmy doing a nixer for his beer money.

• Advertisement

You dont have to give anything. I didnt with mine, I dont see why you would.

i'm the same..i can't get my head around the concept of handing over a lot of money for 10-20 mins of a priests time when thats what his job is?? i was starting to think i was a bit weird in my thinking but good to know i'm not

with regards to the plumber analogy, if a plumber works 9-5 and gets paid, surely any work thats done between the 9-5 he doesnt expect extra money on top of his wages from his client?? is it not the same with a priest? they are men of the cloth who are paid be available 24/7 so their working hours are all day every day. why would they expect payment for a christening and a wedding and not for a communion and a confirmation? they are all sacraments of the church so why pay for one and not for the other? money making gimmick if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭juleserino

Pay with prayer

2 priests that I know said there isn't a fee for any sacrament but people can give a donation if they want but it's not necessary, after all if someone is dying would it be right to deny a person the last rites until they pay up.

i'm the same..i can't get my head around the concept of handing over a lot of money for 10-20 mins of a priests time when thats what his job is?? i was starting to think i was a bit weird in my thinking but good to know i'm not

with regards to the plumber analogy, if a plumber works 9-5 and gets paid, surely any work thats done between the 9-5 he doesnt expect extra money on top of his wages from his client?? is it not the same with a priest? they are men of the cloth who are paid be available 24/7 so their working hours are all day every day. why would they expect payment for a christening and a wedding and not for a communion and a confirmation? they are all sacraments of the church so why pay for one and not for the other? money making gimmick if you ask me

you need to check up on the sacraments!! The sacrament of marriage is different from the other sacraments!!

deisemum wrote: »
    2 priests that I know said there isn't a fee for any sacrament but people can give a donation if they want but it's not necessary, after all if someone is dying would it be right to deny a person the last rites until they pay up.

you're dead right!! There isnt a fee, and I dont know of any priest who refused to officiate at a ceremony because of lack of money etc!!

you need to check up on the sacraments!! The sacrament of marriage is different from the other sacraments!!

You're right, you could be paying for it for the rest of your married life :D

I'd still give a donation, I wouldn't feel comfortable not to but that's just me.

When we renewed out vows the priest wouldn't take any money but we insisted so he gave it to a teenage drug rehabilitation place which I thought was very decent of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think this has moved a bit off topic; from how much you should pay to should you pay anything.

I think €50 should be grand for someone on an average income. If its done after a regular mass time you aren't putting the priest out.

The church is an organisation, and need money for everything from light and heat to doing charitable work, to paying staff (including giving priests an acceptable, though not luxurious lifestyle). I'm sure you can decide which priest will baptise the priest, and approach a priest you think will spend the money well.

Think of how much you are spending on the baptism as a whole. If you are someone with enough money to go nuts with a big do and bouncy castles and all that I think you should give more than €50. If you are broke maybe you can't afford to give him anything, and he'd understand. But maybe you could invite the priest around sometime for a cup of tea, or even bake a cake or something.

Some people on here would begrudge the priest any money (rather than people who can't afford it) seem very bitter. Sure its his job, but where do you think the money comes from? I'm not going to defend the Church, but I do think its hypocritical to baptise a child into a religion that you resent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭juleserino

Pay with prayer and a free copy of the Murphy/Ryan report

dayshah wrote: »
    I think this has moved a bit off topic; from how much you should pay to should you pay anything.

I think €50 should be grand for someone on an average income. If its done after a regular mass time you aren't putting the priest out.

The church is an organisation, and need money for everything from light and heat to doing charitable work, to paying staff (including giving priests an acceptable, though not luxurious lifestyle). I'm sure you can decide which priest will baptise the priest, and approach a priest you think will spend the money well.

Think of how much you are spending on the baptism as a whole. If you are someone with enough money to go nuts with a big do and bouncy castles and all that I think you should give more than €50. If you are broke maybe you can't afford to give him anything, and he'd understand. But maybe you could invite the priest around sometime for a cup of tea, or even bake a cake or something.

Some people on here would begrudge the priest any money (rather than people who can't afford it) seem very bitter. Sure its his job, but where do you think the money comes from? I'm not going to defend the Church, but I do think its hypocritical to baptise a child into a religion that you resent.

The only reason any of mine were baptised and most recently made communion was to give them the option if they want to marry in a church in later life..i don't agree with anything that has gone on in the church the last 5 decades nor does anyone else if they are honest but it doesnt stop people marrying in the church and baptising their children, it's just the "done thing" in todays society..when i see a bishop tell children at mass that they should swim against the tide and have the courage to stand up against things that are sometimes difficult i think back on how he stood by and did sweet f*** all when children were being raped right under his nose (not literally)..and that to me is more hypocritical

granted not all priests are like that but it's hard with whats come to light for people not to tar everyone with the same brush

With regards to the original post, I'd have no problem paying for light, heat etc for the church but I don't see why a priest should line his pockets when carrying out what are his duties and what he signed up for when he enrolled to become a priest

As another poster said there are priests who will refuse to take the money and those are the priests that I would have time for not the hand out give me money type..when I was having my second daughter christened the priest made a point about giving a "donation" so i didnt bother..if he has to harp on about it he can go f*** to be blunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

.i don't agree with anything that has gone on in the church the last 5 decades

Yet you let your own children get baptised for whatever reason. Does this not make you hypocritical?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement