Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few days in France

• 11-06-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Here are the broad strokes of a plan:

Day 0: Dublin-> Rosslare-> Roscoff
    Day 1: France
    Day 2: France
    Day 3: France
    Day 4: France
    Day 5: Cherbourg-> Rosslare
    Day 6: Rosslare-> Dublin

Or maybe the reverse (Rosslare-> Cherbourg-> Roscoff-> Rosslare).

5 full days of cycling. Planning 100kms a day and.....camping!

Any thoughts?

Link to potential route here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Nice trip however the Cherbourg penninsula is a little boring. Why not head south from Roscoff towards Quimper, Pont L'Abbe, Concarneau, Lorient Carnac, head down the Quiberon penninsula (beautiful) back to Auray and head back to Roscoff. The weather in southern Brittany is usually much better and the coastline especially around Quiberon is beautiful and great for cycling. If you decide to stick with your route try and include Perros Guirec Dinard and of course Mont Saint Michel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Excelent idea, have pretty much the same trip planned before the end of the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

sy wrote: »
    Nice trip however the Cherbourg penninsula is a little boring. Why not head south from Roscoff towards Quimper, Pont L'Abbe, Concarneau, Lorient Carnac, head down the Quiberon penninsula (beautiful) back to Auray and head back to Roscoff. The weather in southern Brittany is usually much better and the coastline especially around Quiberon is beautiful and great for cycling. If you decide to stick with your route try and include Perros Guirec Dinard and of course Mont Saint Michel.

any mountains round here? was gonna do the same except drive down to toulose find accomodation and spend a month in the pyrenees - damn long drive though, don't really want to fly as id end up renting a car and then im not into bringing my 4k bike on the plane!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Sacred_git wrote: »
    any mountains round here?
    doubt it, certainly nothing on the scale of the massif central though Id imagine.
    was gonna do the same except drive down to toulose find accomodation and spend a month in the pyrenees - damn long drive though, don't really want to fly as id end up renting a car and then im not into bringing my 4k bike on the plane!!

driving for a day when you are going for a week or two, is definately a bit of a 'waste' of a significant chunk of your holiday time. But you have a month so not so much of a time penalty :confused:

also Ive flown lots of time with my 4k bike, just pack it well in a cardboard bike box and its fine, others have done the same with no issues either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Sacred_git wrote: »
    any mountains round here? was gonna do the same except drive down to toulose find accomodation and spend a month in the pyrenees - damn long drive though, don't really want to fly as id end up renting a car and then im not into bringing my 4k bike on the plane!!
    Unfortunately no. Lots and lots of hills especially in the central part of Brittany and on the western side. There is a long drag out of Cherbourg about 3km at 8% so leave from that port:)

Nearest mountains by car from the ferries are in the Massif Central. Lots of extinct volcanos.
    You could ferry from Britain to Bilbao in Northern Spain and head for the pyrenees.

One (long) day by car, 11 hours, will bring you to Pau or Tarbes near the pyrenees

Other option is direct flight to Biarritz and as me@ucd said, no problem bringing the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Cycled Cherbourg to Paris last year. There are more hills than you would think. And headwinds. Great fun though. When you plan: just picture every town as around a river. So down a hill into it and up a hill out. So stay on the upside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Getting the ferry to Roscoff myself from Cork on the 10th of July and cycling down to Argeles-Gazost in the Pyrenees just in time for the two stages on the Tourmalet. Havent decided whether to stick to the coast going past Bordeaux and then cutting inland or heading inland straight away and going straight down, which is 100km shorter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Hi Folks,

Has anybody actually completed the Cherbourg/Roscoff route? I'm thinking of doing this next month, so any information would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

serendip wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Has anybody actually completed the Cherbourg/Roscoff route? I'm thinking of doing this next month, so any information would be very much appreciated.

OK. Thank you DFD. I found it:
    - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67221048&postcount=135

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

I've never cycled it, but I have driven and camped from Roscoff along the coast to Carentan and then along the Normandy beaches. It's very nice countryside and the campsites are plentiful, well equipped and cheap. If you're a history buff, from Avranches to Ste-Mere-Eglise to Ouistreham is a paradise of sights, museums and remnants of the war. If that floats your boat, you could head east from Cherbourg and back home via one of the Channel ports, British Rail and Holyhead/Fishguard. It's a trip I'm keen to make myself sur velo. Next year I hope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement