Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

• 11-06-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

That was fun...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

theowen wrote: »
    That was fun...

Totally. In a horrible, not fun at all way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

I can feel my brain leaking out of my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I think the Honours paper wasn't too bad,but I totally messed it up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

I didn't do ANY of the part c's, not one. Everything else I did was wrong pretty much. I calculated my guesstimated marks and it's 73 marks out of 300 :D Gonna have to work like a donkey for paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AlCanDrive55

I was totally prepared for Paper one and had done every pass paper for the past 4 years and still drew up blank on nearly every question. The combination of learning so many poets and so many SRPs for geography just pushed out all my maths for the Exam, I reckon I've botched my chances at a b3 I desperately needed in the Subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

I thought the Higher paper was a cake walk with extra cake for all :/ nothing unexpected, nothing challenging - apart from saying that the "curve" was a line :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

flew through some parts....struggled with a lot of part Cs...surprised at myself, I'm good at maths..always have been...but I don't like how that paper went =/..might drop to foundation irish so I dont have to study that over the weekend and just focus on maths..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

I was totally prepared for Paper one and had done every pass paper for the past 4 years and still drew up blank on nearly every question. The combination of learning so many poets and so many SRPs for geography just pushed out all my maths for the Exam, I reckon I've botched my chances at a b3 I desperately needed in the Subject.

my god i do know how you feel :/...wtf was wth question 1?? usually its simple im forever getting 50/50 in it.....:( i couldnt do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Xevkin wrote: »
    I thought the Higher paper was a cake walk with extra cake for all :/ nothing unexpected, nothing challenging - apart from saying that the "curve" was a line :P

I hate you :P I need a C3 to get my course, and i'm not a whole lot better at paper 2 :( At least I wrote down something for everything,hopefully a few attempt marks will pop up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

HL Maths Paper 1. By far the easiest exam they've ever given, at least since 1998, as I've done all the others. Did it in 1hr 30 mins, all 8 questions, the only bit I'm not certain I got right was 4(c)(ii).

Hope they don't compensate with a difficult Paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

That was as easy as paper 1 has ever been lads.. Scarily easy.. Paper 2 is gonna be a tough one i reckon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

wasnt rediculous then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AlCanDrive55

pecker1992 wrote: »
    my god i do know how you feel :/...wtf was wth question 1?? usually its simple im forever getting 50/50 in it.....:( i couldnt do it??

I found question one easy enough, question 4, question 5 part b and c and especially question 3 b was extremely out of the ordinary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

dannye92 wrote: »
    flew through some parts....struggled with a lot of part Cs...surprised at myself, I'm good at maths..always have been...but I don't like how that paper went =/..might drop to foundation irish so I dont have to study that over the weekend and just focus on maths..

Just to let you know, i don't think you can drop to foundation this late as the oral is different to honours/pass. You sould check it out

I agree.. unbelievably easy.. Paper 2 scares me hugely now!

That was as easy as paper 1 has ever been lads.. Scarily easy.. Paper 2 is gonna be a tough one i reckon..
    Agree totally. Simplest paper they could possibly have given, I highly doubt I got less than full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

why was it so easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

I just raped that paper. As good as I could have hoped for.

If anyone wants (what I think are the right) answers, for comparison with their own, I'll post mine up.

mink_man wrote: »
    why was it so easy?
    There was nothing surprising, no difficult c parts except Q4, all the rest were like b parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

What a dreamer!! Only tough part was 4c and that worked out handy when you telescoped the series! B-E-A-utiful!!

Makes up for that poxy eng paper 2 :D

• Advertisement

mink_man wrote: »
    why was it so easy?

Nothing new or unexpected with very few twists or anything that wasn't fairly obvious. Wasn't time consuming either every question could be answered in 20 minutes max..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

mark.oc wrote: »

If anyone wants (what I think are the right) answers, for comparison with their own, I'll post mine up.

yeah post them please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It was lovely! There were some things I find tricky but then again, I'm barely an honours maths student... But it was lovely, if only paper 2 didn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

asking sequences and series in question 1 is a disgrace.. not everyone studies that question...

also the alpha beta was way to obvious so i messed that up... complex numbers didn't come out right at all for me...

but differenciation and integration were dead handy apart from 7 (c) with the logs made it tricky to figure out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm not complaining :D I finished it really early aswel, couldn't believe it. There were a few I didn't get but overall i'm very happy with it.

Then they should. You need to cover the whole course, it's like the clowns who only did Boland in English.

Edit: directed at johnmcdnl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 yupitsme

mark.oc wrote: »

Could you post what you did for 2B and 3C please. Those are the only questions i feel i messed up. Definitely messed up 3C but not sure about 2B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

MariaBabii wrote: »
    yeah post them please :D

seconded please post..

I could do everything and for the first hour and a half i was flying through it with most of seven questions done.
    Then for the next hour i was practically crying.
    My answers were weird (think lots of decimal points)
    The line/curve thing was wrecking my head.. was it a line?
    I was popping nurofens like sweets

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

soooooooo happy with that paper! did every question ( mucked up seq and seris and complex nujmbers) but for the first time ever did a q 5 and it worked out great!
    only messed up little bits of ends of c parts but not like it will affect much.
    soo happy with that!
    better work my ass off for paper 2 !x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Then they should. You need to cover the whole course, it's like the clowns who only did Boland in English.

Edit: directed at johnmcdnl

Not necessarily, some people choose to leave out S+S which is pretty acceptable given you can leave 2 questions out! Still, pretty handy topic

Advertisement