Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Same here. What is it you're going for? UCAS?
    Yep. Engineering in Cambridge. You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

mark.oc wrote: »
    Yep. Engineering in Cambridge. You?
    Accelerated Masters degree in Maths in St. Andrews. 4 year course, 1st and 2nd year are combined into 1st year. They want 4 As and a B, including As in Maths and App Maths.

Edit: just noticed yours was an A1. Mine didn't differentiate, so A2s are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Accelerated Masters degree in Maths in St. Andrews. 4 year course, 1st and 2nd year are combined into 1st year. They want 4 As and a B, including As in Maths and App Maths.

Edit: just noticed yours was an A1. Mine didn't differentiate, so A2s are fine.
    My offer for an MEng was five As and a B including an A1 in maths, and an A1 in physics or applied maths.

You're really lucky they didn't specify for A1s, especially for such and intensive course. Mind you after that first paper, A1s don't seem like too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

How do you do question 5 c ii?

Q5(c)(ii)
    I went with otherwise (rather than hence), found 2 values for x, subbed in for x in x^4 + 1/x^4 and both values gave 47 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

Ya they were decimals, but when you used one for w, if the i's cancelled ( showing it was real) then they were probably right :)

does polar form not mean you had to keep it as cos2pi/5 + i sin2pi/5??
    and then if so how were you supposed to square and cube that expression??
    i ended up with something massively long and complicated so just presumed it was wrong!!

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    does polar form not mean you had to keep it as cos2pi/5 + i sin2pi/5??
    and then if so how were you supposed to square and cube that expression??
    i ended up with something massively long and complicated so just presumed it was wrong!!
    Yep. You should have got cos(4pi/5) + isin(4pi/5) when you squared it, and cos(6pi/5) + isin(6pi/5) when you cubed it. (cos(x) + isin(x))^n = cos(nx) + isin(nx)

Yep. You should have got cos(4pi/5) + isin(4pi/5) when you squared it, and cos(6pi/5) + isin(6pi/5) when you cubed it. (cos(x) + isin(x))^n = cos(nx) + isin(nx)

ok but then when you put them into calculator you just got decimals?
    so how did you prove it was real? i think thats what it asked anyway . . :confused:

so how did you prove it was real? i think thats what it asked anyway . . :confused:
    Ok. The two i coefficients (sin(4pi/5) and sin(6pi/5)) were each the same figure (0.58 approx) with opposite sign, so they cancelled out leaving a real number, which was what you had to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The imaginary part is then sin(4Pi/5)+sin(6Pi/5). Change this from a sum to a product and it turns out to be zero, which proves the number is real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

i wrote all my answers in decimals and polar form n then got one of my root to the power of two and three but left it at that.would i have gotten most of the marks?

Probably. There may have been 10 for that w^2 + w^3 bit, you'll get at least 5 I'd say. If it was 5 you'll just get 2.

rightio.last time thinking bout that paper haha

yup time to move on to paper 2. . . .
    thanks for the replies on the de moivres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 foxpoint1

Ok well i did the HL maths paper yesterday..
    im not sure how many marks i got..
    can somebody give me a guesstimation?

Q1. a) correct
    b) correct
    C)1 and 2 correct but got a wrong series on 3.

Q2. a) correct
    b)ballsed it up,but attempted it both. wrong though.
    c)got part 1, on part 2 i may have made a slip.it was very close to being prooved but i moved on.

Q3. a) correct
    b)i)left out the minus, ii) attempt, but wrong
    c) got far as n + 72...got n 0 and thought i ****ed it ip and left it because it wasnt looking right.

Q6.a) correct
    b)i)correct, ii)i said it was a straight tangent and drew a straight line beside the curve
    c)i) put in an extra dydx.
    ii)the answer for this still worked put because it cancelled to zero.

Q7. a) correct
    b)i messed up signs at the very last part.
    ii) couldnt get it due to slip above.
    c) just got dydx and left it.

Q8. a) correct
    b) i integrated from 1 to 3. then 0 to 1. but messed up someplace..left it as i was rushing.

c) totally ballsed it up.i didnt recognise the logs. i kept goin...i ended up changing sums to products and it still worked out equals to it in the end. i doubt id get any marks.maybe some for effort here.

if someone can just estimate a mark,that would be great.
    i need to know how much i need in paper to to achieve my desired grade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You would be wiser just to forget about it. You've only done half the maths, there is still Paper 2. You can't be sure you are correct, or wrong, in a certain question. Don't bother with guesstimating - there's nothing that can be done now, so it serves no purpose other than disheartening you, or possibly even getting your hopes up.

Remember, the majority of the marks go for the method and not the answer.

You will find out at 9am on August 18th how you did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 foxpoint1

well i know i passed...but if i dont think il get a good grade with paper two,im as well to concentrate on something il be counting

i know some are correct because of the answers on this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

foxpoint1 wrote: »
    i know some are correct because of the answers on this.

You can't assume those answers are correct. Everybody on this is just students like you or me. Just because they got answers that satisfy an equation, doesn't mean that they are the right answers. Remember, they are using that equation to generate answers, in addition to other parts of the question. Thus, even if they get wrong answers, they might still satisfy an equation because it was that equation that generated answers. It isn't a validation of the correctness of an answer, merely a test to see whether those values of x/a/b/c etc balance the equation.

Also, just because a majority got one answer doesn't make it correct.

Trust me, you will only feel worse if you try to gauge how you do. Concentrate on Paper 2 and other subjects. The LC is very daunting unless you take it one paper at a time. Once you are finished a paper, forget about it. Once you pull the cover off the seal of your answer book, there is nothing more you can do to change your grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Reckle

i thought the whole paper went terribly for me :(
    made a mess of the integration and differentiation but tried my best
    some of the (c) parts were just too difficult
    tbh i think i got very little right and am freakin about paper 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

Ya they were decimals, but when you used one for w, if the i's cancelled ( showing it was real) then they were probably right :)

I didn't make it decimals, just left it at cos4(Pi)/5 + iSin(4(Pi)/5)....and didn't it say w not equal to one??

• Advertisement

just wondering how you get your overall mark from the 2 maths papers
    do they add your percentage of paper 1 to paper 2?
    or is it the average percentage of the two papers??

just say u get 70 percent in paper one and 60 percent in paper two ud get ur mark by adding up the two and dividing by two ie the average so it it would 130/2=65 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Reckle wrote: »
    just wondering how you get your overall mark from the 2 maths papers
    do they add your percentage of paper 1 to paper 2?
    or is it the average percentage of the two papers??

Average.

Do they not add the 2 sets of marks together and find the percentage overall?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Do they not add the 2 sets of marks together and find the percentage overall?:confused:

Its the exact same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Made a total mess of it, think I passed but... oh well. No use dwelling on it.
    Paper 2 is my stronger paper anyway.

Its the exact same thing?
    >.<...well I'm super confident about maths tomorrow!

awhhh no :(
    im just relying on attempt marks lol i really feel paper 1 just went horribly :(
    ugh and paper 2 tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Reckle wrote: »
    awhhh no :(
    im just relying on attempt marks lol i really feel paper 1 just went horribly :(
    ugh and paper 2 tomorrow :(

Don't worry about it. You probably did better than you thought. Coming out of the paper I thought I did well but the more I think about it I made a lot of mistakes so I'm counting on paper 2 now. Best just to forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viky

all the people who said it was easy....did we do the same paper!!!? i knew i wont do well in maths but i was hoping to at least pass... i mean i knw i got 3 A parts more or less right, the rest was just "attempts". pitiful at that.
    even one of the teachers said the paper was rather tricky. hate u all the maths geniuses!

Advertisement