Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

viky wrote: »
    all the people who said it was easy....did we do the same paper!!!? i knew i wont do well in maths but i was hoping to at least pass... i mean i knw i got 3 A parts more or less right, the rest was just "attempts". pitiful at that.
    even one of the teachers said the paper was rather tricky. hate u all the maths geniuses!

Hi

My friend is a maths genius ... and she said the paper was terrible as well!! Don't panic. Don't put any pass on the ones who said it was easy- Some of the comments made by them were quite nasty, rubbing others' faces in it. They'll get the shock of their lives when they go to university, they'll lose that arrogance or else be miserable for their yrs there trying to be better than people who have the same ability as them! I saw it for 4 yrs when I was in UCD! Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Loucol

kieran--f wrote: »
    no got -11/4 -7/2 and 1/4 haha surely wrong

I got those answers aswel i think haha hoping they're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

>.<...well I'm super confident about maths tomorrow!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Then they should. You need to cover the whole course, it's like the clowns who only did Boland in English.

Edit: directed at johnmcdnl

Leaving out one question out of eight is NOT like leaving out seven poets out of eight poets! Are you joking?! Lots of schools didn't cover question 4, mine certainly didn't, they even said so on the 2fm podcast on maths paper one. So at least get your facts right if you're going to act superior.

It's nice it worked out so well for you, and that you had sequences and series covered, but some of us didn't and to have it interject with a question we had counted on having no difficulties with was quite annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Leaving out one question out of eight is NOT like leaving out seven poets out of eight poets! Are you joking?! Lots of schools didn't cover question 4, mine certainly didn't, they even said so on the 2fm podcast on maths paper one. So at least get your facts right if you're going to act superior.

It's nice it worked out so well for you, and that you had sequences and series covered, but some of us didn't and to have it interject with a question we had counted on having no difficulties with was quite annoying!
    That's where you are wrong. S&S is not a guaranteed question, it could be more, it could be none. If you didn't cover it, you run the rusk of being short, as many people found out. The Maths paper, unlike English, is not set in stone.

• Advertisement

That's where you are wrong. S&S is not a guaranteed question, it could be more, it could be none. If you didn't cover it, you run the rusk of being short, as many people found out. The Maths paper, unlike English, is not set in stone.

Well, that's odd. You seem to be pretty sure of that, so where exactly did you read it? Is it the only unguaranteed question on the paper, as opposed to all the others?

Well, that's odd. You seem to be pretty sure of that, so where exactly did you read it? Is it the only unguaranteed question on the paper, as opposed to all the others?
    None of them are guaranteed, AFAIK. Any question can technically come up anywhere.

Hmm, going by that viewpoint I would suspect no exam paper is set in stone....anything can come up anywhere as long as it's on the course...there's no way of proving it otherwise. Unless it is an optional module like in Geography or Home Ec, nothing is definite.

So you do past exam papers, and cross your fingers that they stick to the layout so you can achieve maximum marks. Having never done (the optional) sequences and series question, I didn't know it was in the tables. Bam! Marks gone.

You know what would have been fun, though? If they'd messed around a little with English paper 2, given us a surprise, made us do an essay on one mandatory, named poet with no choice.Technically, they could do that. Would've suited me perfectly, I could've been really superior about it! After all, all the poets are on the course, so why not? I could argue that we're meant to have the course learned in its entirety, you never know what could pop up!
    But even though I like the subject, I would actually feel sympathy for those who weren't bargaining on losing marks by the changing of the exam papers. It's hard not to. It was below the belt to pull a trick like that and we have the right to be mildly annoyed and not be chastised by someone who clearly likes the subject and is smug about not being caught out. Don't accuse us of not doing adequate preparation for the exam!

It was a sneaky thing to do considering it's a well known fact that of the two questions that are not done in Honours maths, question 4 is the most avoided by far and given the fact that it IS optional, that's hardly a crime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If it's optional it wouldn't have been on Q1. Fair play to the exam setters. Means teachers will cover the whole course from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Reckle wrote: »
    awhhh no :(
    im just relying on attempt marks lol i really feel paper 1 just went horribly :(
    ugh and paper 2 tomorrow :(

The answer itself is only worth like 3 or 5 marks so actually attempting it could get you the majority of the marks so don't worry! And only 3.8% of people get under 38%, 38% is a pass, the guy on 2fm said you get that and you pass so you'll be fine!

• Advertisement

You don't get it, do you? English IS set in stone. There is a definite layout. Same with the options on Maths II. Maths I is just 8 Questions, do 6. It's not specifically Q1 just algebra, Q7 just Calculus etc. That's all I'm saying.

But by all means, whine and moan about it if it makes you feel better. I won't stop you, but I'll stop humouring you with replies and giving you someone to vent your anger on.

Edit: this is directed at MiamiMortimer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

viky wrote: »
    all the people who said it was easy....did we do the same paper!!!? i knew i wont do well in maths but i was hoping to at least pass... i mean i knw i got 3 A parts more or less right, the rest was just "attempts". pitiful at that.
    even one of the teachers said the paper was rather tricky. hate u all the maths geniuses!

You'll get loads of attempt marks so don't worry! There seems to be mixed feelings about the paper so don't take any of it to heart, it's over, just think about SUMMER! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I must say that the S&S is question 1 was a surprise. I always did well in question 4 so I had gone over them so it didn't catch me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It was a sneaky thing to do considering it's a well known fact that of the two questions that are not done in Honours maths, question 4 is the most avoided by far and given the fact that it IS optional, that's hardly a crime!

You get to leave out two questions on the day. This is not the same thing as saying that the topics are optional.

Leaving out any topic is a risk. None of the topics on the core is optional. That's why it's called the core, and that's why the options are called the options.

You wanted to know in an earlier post where this was written down. It's in the syllabus. Here's a direct quote:
    "The syllabus is presented in the form of a core and a list of options. It is envisaged that students would study the whole of the core and one option."

Questions that cross more than one area of the syllabus have been a feature all along. e.g. complex numbers and integration have been in the same question. Limits of sequences have appeared in the discrete maths questions on paper 2 more than once, etc. It just hit the wrong one for you this time.

Not preparing the whole course on the assumption that the choices will work out ok for you is a gamble. It pays off a lot of the time, and a lot of people do it, but you can't expect it to pay off always. People who study the whole course, as the syllabus expects, should be appropriately rewarded for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

every question except the part B's on paper 2 can be asked anywhere on a maths paper. the things that are asked in the part B's on paper 2 i.e intergration by parts, ratio tests, mclaurin series cannot be asked except in those questions.... every other topic can be asked in any question thats why u got S+S question in algebra this year...... this info comes from a former chief examination commisioner

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

And only 3.8% of people get under 38%, 38% is a pass, the guy on 2fm said you get that and you pass so you'll be fine!

38% is not a pass, 40% is a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

u need 38 percent to pass ordinary maths for definite

Hmm, going by that viewpoint I would suspect no exam paper is set in stone....anything can come up anywhere as long as it's on the course...there's no way of proving it otherwise. Unless it is an optional module like in Geography or Home Ec, nothing is definite.
    Exactly. Unless the SEC has said it will be a certain way in the curriculum, then it's wide open to change.

Precedent and pattern mean nothing, and I suspect they are getting tired of people relying on them too much, and cutting courses to the bare bones.
    It was a sneaky thing to do considering it's a well known fact that of the two questions that are not done in Honours maths, question 4 is the most avoided by far ...
    Which is probably exactly why they decided to pop it up in question 1, given that people are supposed to cover the full course anyway.

That said, ofc I can have a bit of sympathy for people who got caught out ... but not too much sympathy tbh.

Exactly. Unless the SEC has said it will be a certain way in the curriculum, then it's wide open to change.

Precedent and pattern mean nothing, and I suspect they are getting tired of people relying on them too much, and cutting courses to the bare bones.

Which is probably exactly why they decided to pop it up in question 1, given that people are supposed to cover the full course anyway.

That said, ofc I can have a bit of sympathy for people who got caught out ... but not too much sympathy tbh.
    To be fair, if his teacher didn't do it I have full sympathy with him. It's not his fault. I didn't realise some teachers don't do it.

Anyway, good luck to all in Paper 2 today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Duncannon

HL Maths Paper 1. By far the easiest exam they've ever given, at least since 1998, as I've done all the others. Did it in 1hr 30 mins, all 8 questions, the only bit I'm not certain I got right was 4(c)(ii).

Hope they don't compensate with a difficult Paper 2.

I hope paper 2 goes well for you

• Advertisement

You get to leave out two questions on the day. This is not the same thing as saying that the topics are optional.

Leaving out any topic is a risk. None of the topics on the core is optional. That's why it's called the core, and that's why the options are called the options.

You wanted to know in an earlier post where this was written down. It's in the syllabus. Here's a direct quote:
    "The syllabus is presented in the form of a core and a list of options. It is envisaged that students would study the whole of the core and one option."

Questions that cross more than one area of the syllabus have been a feature all along. e.g. complex numbers and integration have been in the same question. Limits of sequences have appeared in the discrete maths questions on paper 2 more than once, etc. It just hit the wrong one for you this time.

Not preparing the whole course on the assumption that the choices will work out ok for you is a gamble. It pays off a lot of the time, and a lot of people do it, but you can't expect it to pay off always. People who study the whole course, as the syllabus expects, should be appropriately rewarded for doing so.

Thanks MathsManiac, I just wanted an honest breakdown from someone. Appreciate you didn't feel the need to get personal or arrogant about it, the series in the question bugged me quite a lot at the beginning but onwards and upwards, as they say! Maths Paper Two was good today, helped restore some confidence at least :)

Fingers crossed for the rest of the exams!!!

Duncannon wrote: »
    I hope paper 2 goes well for you
    Thanks! It did.

To be fair, if his teacher didn't do it I have full sympathy with him. It's not his fault. I didn't realise some teachers don't do it.

Anyway, good luck to all in Paper 2 today!
    Fair enough, I may have missed that bit.

As I've said before, some teachers seem to be as caught up in the cut and slash / predictions / hot tips culture as the students.

did nybody else use induction to prove 4c part ii
    induction for 4c part one is perfect

That part of question 1 will be worth nothing

I got 2/(1-2cosxsinx) aswell.. it worked out perfectly in the next part too
    that question worked well paper 2 was lovely no complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

First off, my first post on this forum, so hello all and hope all is going well for everybody.

I came out of both papers feeling like I managed to get near perfect in both, but in retrospect I have some issues/questions.

I personally feel both paper 1 and paper 2 were 'easy', but I have a couple of issues:

- In paper one, question 6 c (ii) I knew I had dy/dx correct, subbed in the two points given and then got the same slope. I wrote 'therefore, the tangent at (0, 6) is the same as at (3,0) since they have the same slope value (dy/dx). I then thought 'I'll quickly come back and do out the eqn of the tangent just to be thorough' but I forgot to :/ Would yous reckon they will accept my conclusion or at least give most of the marks?

- I actually wrote 'slope is constant - therefore line' in b part 2 of the same question, then for some reason I ERASED it and wrote 'graph is increasing since dy/dx > 0 always. Reckon I threw away 10 marks with that and I KNEW the answer...

-Aside from allowing for potential blunders (though I know I got many of the answers others have posted) I think I get somewhere between 93 and 95 percent. Not including the above issues and a couple with trigonometry answers (on the equation questions I might've accidentally done stupid things like forget to divide by 3 when working with Sin3x and Cos3x) I felt I was near perfect. My issue is that they might somehow crucify me for minor errors in the method (even with the right answer) and take away the grade I worked hard for...

Also, some people I know have felt cheated since this paper was 'too nice'. Personally I think that's a little conceited on their part, and presumptuous. Just take what you can get I say!

Overall, finished P1 with an hour left and 7 questions done, opted not to do the eigth and instead scoured my answers for flaws...but since I thought I was fully right with the issues I mentioned above I didn't think to correct them at the time. In paper 2, finished with about the same time left and opted to avoid probability since I dislike it somewhat...

Came on here specifically to hear people's thoughts on Irish and look what happened...and so many days afterwards too...oh well!

If you have the right answer they cannot punish you unless it asks to "show" and the examiner cannot follow your steps.

As to 6(c)(ii), I'd say you'd get the vast majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

If you have the right answer they cannot punish you unless it asks to "show" and the examiner cannot follow your steps.

As to 6(c)(ii), I'd say you'd get the vast majority.

Thanks for the reply :cool: I sure hope so, I mean it is pretty much accurate I surmise. If they have the same slope it is fair to say they are the same tangent, no? I realise I should've found the actual tangent I just literally forgot, I've been doing that in a few tests...Hoping for an A though since I don't want to go down from the mocks, which were far harder than this imo!

• Advertisement

zam wrote: »
    Well I said 16p^2 > -1
    But I'm sure your answer merits the bulk of the marks!
    that answer is fine perfecr squares are always greater than or equal to zero

Advertisement