Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Duncannon

JamesJB wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :cool: I sure hope so, I mean it is pretty much accurate I surmise. If they have the same slope it is fair to say they are the same tangent, no? I realise I should've found the actual tangent I just literally forgot, I've been doing that in a few tests...Hoping for an A though since I don't want to go down from the mocks, which were far harder than this imo!
    if you get the equation of the tangent at the 2 points you get the same line

Yeah, as far as I can see because p is squared it will always be greater than 0 (or -1 if you moved that over like me).
    answer is correct perfect squares are always positive

Victoria. wrote: »
    I stupidly forgot to put down the make and model of my calculator :(
    Was so stressed. Just opened the paper. Does anyone know if it is a problem?
    its not a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Duncannon wrote: »
    if you get the equation of the tangent at the 2 points you get the same line

Thanks, yeah I know - see I just did the slope idea and said they would be the same. Then, since I did that question 3rd, I said 'ah I'll come back and just do the eqn of the line after I've done the others.... BIG mistake. I just hope they'll give me the majority of the marks for doing like, what, more than half of what they wanted?

I was just looking at one answer given here for 4 (c) (iii)

I think I might've got a different answer. I used 3(n/6(n + 1)(2n + 1) + n) (since you bring the summation into the brackets).

Then I did the sum from 1-30 = 3(n/6)(31)(61) + 30 = 28395
    and then from 1-11 = 1529

Then I took the smaller away from the bigger and got 26866. I thought I had the right method but it seems I've gone wrong somewhere...Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

I think I might've got a different answer. I used 3(n/6(n + 1)(2n + 1) + n) (since you bring the summation into the brackets).

Then I took the smaller away from the bigger and got 26866. I thought I had the right method but it seems I've gone wrong somewhere...Any ideas?
    It's the sum from 1-10 you take away in order to get your answer inclusive of 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Should've taken away the sum from 1-10 I think. 11 was included.

mark.oc wrote: »
    It's the sum from 1-10 you take away in order to get your answer inclusive of 11.
    Lol you got there first.

mark.oc wrote: »

AHA. I see now, thanks. It's just a small enough blunder in any case. Quite literally an arithmetic one so what, - a few marks :rolleyes: I think I still have 6 other questions with near (if not almost definitely) full marks. Hoping marking scheme won't somehow screw me over but oh well, I'm happy.

MollyJayne wrote: »
    Ok. In reply to everything...

It was a very nice paper, and I think paper two will be the same!

1. c) iii) so annoyed! I got b=-4 and d=6, but somehow I made c=-3-b = c=-3-4=7, when it should have been c=-3+4=1...only realised now! Kept trying to figure out what I'd done wrong... I'd decided to change d to -10 so it would fit the sequence, but it didn't fit the equation =[
    The right answers are definitely -4, 1, 6 as they fit the sequence and the equation...

Another controversial issue...
    6. b) ii) It's definitely a curve. It says in the question that its a curve. Yup, parametric equations of a CURVE.
    I don't know the answer though... I was going to say that its increasing but if its a curve...it curves!

I thought question 8 was lovely! Didn't quite get the last part of c out 'cause I ran out of time (shouldn't have kept checking that question 1!) but should get most of the marks for it...

I think I got atleast 65% in that paper, and I always find paper two easier so I'm really hoping for a B at this stage!

the "curve" was
    the line 2x-5y+1=0
    the numbers in 1c were-4,1,6

• Advertisement

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry)?wasRedirected=true
    In Euclidean geometry, a line is a straight curve

So a curve does NOT have to be "curvey".

Hope that settles things.

zam wrote: »
    For alphaxbeta i got ±4
    For alpha+beta i got 0 (which i think is wrong!)
    alpha x beata is +4 alpha +beata is 2

Anyone use just regular simultaneous eqns for the matrix question? I wasn't in the mood for doing it out the pre/post multiplication way. Got the same answers obviously but I have this idea that they'll somehow try say you had to use matrix methods even if it didn't specify...

Anyone use just regular simultaneous eqns for the matrix question? I wasn't in the mood for doing it out the pre/post multiplication way. Got the same answers obviously but I have this idea that they'll somehow try say you had to use matrix methods even if it didn't specify...
    they just said find x and y you can do it anyway, matrices, simultaneous equations ,both methods are fine the answers are x = 4, y = 2,

Duncannon wrote: »
    they just said find x and y you can do it anyway, matrices, simultaneous equations ,both methods are fine the answers are x = 4, y = 2,

That's what I got anyway :cool:

Advertisement