Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

It was a decent enough paper. I'm hopeful I passed it.
    I hadn't a clue what they were on about with the series part in algebra, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 yupitsme

seconded please post..

I could do everything and for the first hour and a half i was flying through it with most of seven questions done.
    Then for the next hour i was practically crying.
    My answers were weird (think lots of decimal points)
    The line/curve thing was wrecking my head.. was it a line?
    I was popping nurofens like sweets

XD

It was for sure a line the slope was constantly 2/5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

seconded please post..

I could do everything and for the first hour and a half i was flying through it with most of seven questions done.
    Then for the next hour i was practically crying.
    My answers were weird (think lots of decimal points)
    The line/curve thing was wrecking my head.. was it a line?
    I was popping nurofens like sweets

XD

Yeah it was a line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    asking sequences and series in question 1 is a disgrace.. not everyone studies that question...

also the alpha beta was way to obvious so i messed that up... complex numbers didn't come out right at all for me...

but differenciation and integration were dead handy apart from 7 (c) with the logs made it tricky to figure out....
    Yeah, I messed up the alpha/beta roots one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

zam wrote: »
    Not necessarily, some people choose to leave out S+S which is pretty acceptable given you can leave 2 questions out! Still, pretty handy topic
    No. They are entitled to ask as many S&S questions as they like AFAIK. Leaving it out is a dumb move.

Even if you left it out, you just needed to look in the tables, it was easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

...I saw as others start to smile when they got their higher paper, when me and my peeps get ordinary one, ****, im goin to repeat this year, im ****ed up, totaly, anal one :( nothin i studied came up + there was 3 questions in paper that we never ****in did in school, that it, THATS IT, goin to get drunk so bad tonight, **** the rest exams, no point goin in... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

best paper one i could have asked for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

No. They are entitled to ask as many S&S questions as they like AFAIK. Leaving it out is a dumb move.

Yeh, it was really the easiest 1c for years!

I mucked up the b part of 8, but raped 7 other questions. I have the fear for paper two now, though. They'll probs make the option question a proper bitch to cool everyone's jets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Good paper overall, but there were 3 parts which messed me up a little =/

Q3 (c) Q7(i) (damn logs =/ ) and Q8 C (iii)

attempted them but everything was grand....hopefully a B.....or maybe not lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

It was easy but I messed up in the 2c -_-, I remember looking at those proofs before from those notes and it just didn't work out for me. That's 30 marks down the drain. Then there was the telescoping thing which didn't work out for me and part c of integration and quesiton 7 in general.
    why can't they make paper 2, my major weakness easier instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

MariaBabii wrote: »
    yeah post them please

Q.1 (a) k = -3, t = 9

(c)(i) -3-b
    (ii) -2-2b
    (iii) b = -4, c = 1, d = 6

Q.2 (a) x = 3, y = -2, z = -1

(b)(i) 4
    (ii) rt20 or 2rt5

Q.3 (a) x = 4, y = 2

(b)(i) ±6
    (ii) -8

(c) Didn't take them down as they were all decimals.

Q.4 (a) 47/99

(b)(i) a = -42, d = 6
    (ii) 0

(c)(iii) 27230

Q.5 (a) x = 2

(c)(ii) 47

Q.6 (a) x = 4/3

(b)(i) 2/5
    (ii) line

(c)(i) [LATEX](-4-2xy^3)/(2+3x^2y^2)[/LATEX]
    (ii) 2x + y - 6 is the tangent.

Q.7 (b)(i) 2/(1-2cosxsinx)

(c)(ii) minimum

Q.8 (a) -(cos2x)/2 + (e^4x)/4 + c

(b) 37 units

(c)(i) ln((1+sinb)/(1+sina))
    (ii) ln((1+cosa)/(1+cosb))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

so happy with that paper.roll on paper 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I had no idea to be honest, was kicking myself at how easy it was afterwards..

The problem was my teacher told our class we DID NOT need to be able to prove that formula.. :eek:

So, I like a flaming artard stared blankly at that part!?
    :confused:

The rest of it was fairly ok though, Q 5 was sort of a doddle..

Hope they don't pull some nasty Paper 2 on Monday though?!
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did people get Q8 (c) (iii) to work out? I got the answers to parts (i) and (ii) but didn't know what to do with them for the third part.

did nybody else use induction to prove 4c part ii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

all the same answers as above except i didnt say the slope was a line? i said it was increasing though.... great paper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

Very nice paper in fairness. Can I just ask what answers everyone got for 1(c) and 2 (b)? If ye can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

SantryRed wrote: »
    Did people get Q8 (c) (iii) to work out? I got the answers to parts (i) and (ii) but didn't know what to do with them for the third part.

cos (90-a) = sin(a) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i know it's a risk leaving but that's the way it goes... i did get the formula but it's easy getting the formula and using it if you've studied it.. i didn't know what to fill in then... it's only 10 marks but still.. :(

2(b) got 4 and root 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Naaaah lads the logs bit in 7c is in the papers...took 2 mins to figue it out:)

6,7 and 8 were unreal....raped them.
    1,2 and 3....raped me:(

S & S in the 1c was dirty enough....our teacher refused to do S & S so nobody got that, the arg in q3 nodoby got either....never heard of it before:(

Still though, dominated 6 7 and 8 and id say i got around 100 marks between 1 2 and 3 so as long as p2 isnt too bad ill have my C:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

didnt get 8 c out either :( people get the area as 27 yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Then they should. You need to cover the whole course, it's like the clowns who only did Boland in English.

Edit: directed at johnmcdnl

Not true.
    You get 8 questions and you only have to answer 6 of them.
    A lot of people only focus on 6 questions to be great in them, rather than just ok in all 8, after all, only the best 6 are counted at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

didnt get 8 c out either :( people get the area as 27 yeah?
    Think it was 37.

edit2: Merged thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Naaaah lads the logs bit in 7c is in the papers...took 2 mins to figue it out:)

6,7 and 8 were unreal....raped them.
    1,2 and 3....raped me:(

S & S in the 1c was dirty enough....our teacher refused to do S & S so nobody got that, the arg in q3 nodoby got either....never heard of it before:(

Still though, dominated 6 7 and 8 and id say i got around 100 marks between 1 2 and 3 so as long as p2 isnt too bad ill have my C:)

i did the exact same as you :D:D: :D:D:D:D didn't get the logs out though is all.. got the last part though out i think... other than that exact same lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

did nybody else use induction to prove 4c part ii

only realised that was how I should have done 2 seconds after I handed up the booklet.. was absolutely kicking myself!

Oh well, can't change that now!?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

cos (90-a) = sin(a) etc

"facepalms"

I got the same answer as monaghanman10, that part confused me at first. Good thing the examiner used the word "hence" to give us a tip that it's not that straightforward as to use the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dark Eyes

For Q. 8 b i got 49.
    Yes, A LINE! Everyone kept saying it was increasing, I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Lovely paper, made a hash of question 8, but I did 7 questions so I should be grand. I say I got a B1 at least. Little bit worried about paper 2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pippy92

oh no i got 27 for 8b!:( but i think i got the same for the rest

Advertisement