Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

mark.oc wrote: »
    I got that at first alright, but went back and checked it. The problem was with the definite integral of the part under the x-axis at one. That was 5, taken away from -27, gives -32. Modulus of that plus the original 5 gives 37.

Ohhhh that was sneaky....!
    Still, would probably still get plenty of attempt marks right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Paddi Jones

Its really depressing reading all these "it was easy" answers. Though it certainly was an easier paper, I don't think I did too well. Nice (a) parts I must say, some annoying (c)s.

Only got 5 and a half Qs done.
    Fab time management, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

I kept checking the front of my paper to confirm "Higher Level" written on it, then considered whether my colour vision was going all funky ("Is this really pink?") I liked it. =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just wondering what people got for Q1 b? How'd yous do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

theowen wrote: »
    That was fun...

OMG, really? I'm a complete weirdo then. I was totally calm, smiling through it. I actually sang The Club Is Alive and all to myself doing the last question [Q4 twas].

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Craaap.. anyone else give the De Moivre's theorum in carthesian form? i was wondering why it was so untidy it was supposed to be in polar form.. oh well.. it still worked out i just went a step too far they can't really take marks off surely..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

!?! wrote: »
    anyone get around 167 I can't remember exactly for the purple?
    dont worry i got 199:D oops! Dont mind though, did 8 as an extra question

A little surprised with the S&S in question 1, but then i was like, oh yeah, simple! Really don't agree with leaving out S&S as a whole question not covered, topics can be interchanged throughout pretty much every question. It really is as stupid as just studying Boland. lol.

I got the arg(z) as well. I mean arg... argument, I ended up with t=-8. Thrilled with myself:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

you were supposed to leave the de moiver thing in polar form. it says in the question. for eg Cos72 is like 5 pi over 4 or something

dont put it down as decimels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

Q.1 (a) k = -3, t = 9

(c)(i) -3-b
    (ii) -2-2b
    (iii) b = -4, c = 1, d = 6

Q.2 (a) x = 3, y = -2, z = -1

(b)(i) 4
    (ii) rt20 or 2rt5

Q.3 (a) x = 4, y = 2

(b)(i) ±6
    (ii) -8

(c) Didn't take them down as they were all decimals.

Q.4 (a) 47/99

(b)(i) a = -42, d = 6
    (ii) 0

(c)(iii) 27230

Q.5 (a) x = 2

(c)(ii) 47

Q.6 (a) x = 4/3

(b)(i) 2/5
    (ii) line

(c)(i) [LATEX](-4-2xy^3)/(2+3x^2y^2)[/LATEX]
    (ii) 2x + y - 6 is the tangent.

Q.7 (b)(i) 2/(1-2cosxsinx)

(c)(ii) minimum

Q.8 (a) -(cos2x)/2 + (e^4x)/4 + c

(b) 37 units

(c)(i) ln((1+sinb)/(1+sina))
    (ii) ln((1+cosa)/(1+cosb))

THANK YOU
    I do love you :P

I got pretty much the same answers and came out of the paper almost crying I was so sure everything was wrong!
    These better be right... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Is that the real roots one? I did b^2 - 4ac greater or equal 0.

Then I got 16p^2 + 1 > 0

And I said that is p is real, and equal or greater than 0, it will always be greater than 0 due to the + 1, hence real roots.

It was a very project maths kind of question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

hey lads...not one bit happy...tink i barely passed!!even failed..jus wondering do you get attempt marks for trying every question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Q.1 (a) k = -3, t = 9

(c)(i) -3-b
    (ii) -2-2b
    (iii) b = -4, c = 1, d = 6

Q.2 (a) x = 3, y = -2, z = -1

(b)(i) 4
    (ii) rt20 or 2rt5

Q.3 (a) x = 4, y = 2

(b)(i) ±6
    (ii) -8

(c) Didn't take them down as they were all decimals.

Q.4 (a) 47/99

(b)(i) a = -42, d = 6
    (ii) 0

(c)(iii) 27230

Q.5 (a) x = 2

(c)(ii) 47

Q.6 (a) x = 4/3

(b)(i) 2/5
    (ii) line

(c)(i) [LATEX](-4-2xy^3)/(2+3x^2y^2)[/LATEX]
    (ii) 2x + y - 6 is the tangent.

Q.7 (b)(i) 2/(1-2cosxsinx)

(c)(ii) minimum

Q.8 (a) -(cos2x)/2 + (e^4x)/4 + c

(b) 37 units

(c)(i) ln((1+sinb)/(1+sina))
    (ii) ln((1+cosa)/(1+cosb))

You're answer to 1 (C) part (iii) is wrong cause they were 3 consecutive numbers......eg.1,2,3.....I got my answers as fractions with a difference of 1 between them all......

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Ashashi wrote: »
    Is that the real roots one? I did b^2 - 4ac greater or equal 0.

Then I got 16p^2 + 1 > 0

And I said that is p is real, and equal or greater than 0, it will always be greater than 0 due to the + 1, hence real roots.

It was a very project maths kind of question.
    Not trying to be snide, but it was also a very "every maths paper since 1995" question.

hey lads...not one bit happy...tink i barely passed!!even failed..jus wondering do you get attempt marks for trying every question..

If you do one step right you do.

Are we talking about the Junior?

niamhocxox wrote: »
    You're answer to 1 (C) part (iii) is wrong cause they were 3 consecutive numbers......eg.1,2,3.....I got my answers as fractions with a difference of 1 between them all......
    They weren't consecutive integers, they were three consecutive terms in an arithmetic sequence. There's a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just had a look on examinations.ie, it seemed like a fairly tame paper. No majorly unpleasant surprises.

Ahhh. I clicked Leaving instead of Junior. I was wondering why everything looked so wrong.

Woops, sorry! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Rothmans wrote: »
    Just had a look on examinations.ie, it seemed like a fairly tame paper. No majorly unpleasant surprises.

easy to say when your not in the hotseat.....3 was ******* by and standards....nobody seemed to know 100% what the arg bit was about

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

They weren't consecutive integers, they were three consecutive terms in an arithmetic sequence. There's a big difference.

whole stack of people in my year did that too....i knew lookin at it that it didn say integers it said consecutive terms but i hadnt a nothion so i jus took a stab at callin them B=B, C= B+1 and D = C+ 1....hopin for attempt marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

How did everyone do question 1 (c) part (iii)

• Advertisement

Breezed through this :D Needed the confidence boost after English yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't remember what b c and d equalled but just let u1= b, u2=c and u3=d.

And then do u3-u2=u2-u1

niamhocxox wrote: »
    How did everyone do question 1 (c) part (iii)
    c - b = d - c
    (-3 - b) - b = (-2 - 2b) - (-3 - b)

Solve for b and fill in for c and d into the eqs you got for (i) and (ii).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

c - b = d - c
    (-3 - b) - b = (-2 - 2b) - (-3 - b)

Solve for b and fill in for c and d into the eqs you got for (i) and (ii).

*cries*
    That's stupidly simple now I know what to do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Caught wrote: »
    If you do one step right you do.

Are we talking about the Junior?

Leaving cert...iv looked at the answers nd it seems dat i only got bout 25 per cent of them rite...il tell u wat i did!!! in 1(c) i put x sqaured -x -2 into the equation...nd my answers were c=b-1 and d=2b-2...will i get attempts..in 3 b ii i put down 8 instead of -8 for the arg thing.. in the integration part i didnt do 1 bit of study on it so 4 the b parti worked out something nd got -32 for it...i crossed it out partily but will i get some marks still???im afraid the same thing will happen to me in paper 2!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Leaving cert...iv looked at the answers nd it seems dat i only got bout 25 per cent of them rite...il tell u wat i did!!! in 1(c) i put x sqaured -x -2 into the equation...nd my answers were c=b-1 and d=2b-2...will i get attempts..in 3 b ii i put down 8 instead of -8 for the arg thing.. in the integration part i didnt do 1 bit of study on it so 4 the b parti worked out something nd got -32 for it...i crossed it out partily but will i get some marks still???im afraid the same thing will happen to me in paper 2!!!

exactly tha same as you...we better get some decent attempt marks..! :eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Had a look at the paper and thought it was a bit on the easy side. Hope this isn't the beginning of a trend oh wait project maths.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

did anynoe try solve the matrix by forming two simeltanoius equations?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Not trying to be snide, but it was also a very "every maths paper since 1995" question.

Not really, usually, you don't need to explain, you just get (any no)^2 > 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

Xevkin wrote: »
    I thought the Higher paper was a cake walk with extra cake for all :/ nothing unexpected, nothing challenging - apart from saying that the "curve" was a line :P

Agh ****! it WAS a line. is it the same thing if you say it only crosses the x axis once and that it has no turning points?? I think thats right...yes i think im ok...im trying to re-assure myself her

i though the paper was generally easy. what did everyone get for b,c and in q1?

Advertisement