Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What about saying it was an Asymptote? Same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I said in Q6 that the graph was "increasing". Do you think i'll get attempt marks??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I said the curve was "n-shaped" cause I was clueless :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

if you write something down nd cross it out again nd if sum of it is right wud u get 3 attempt marks for having some of it write

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NumberZeroNine

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    asking sequences and series in question 1 is a disgrace.. not everyone studies that question...

True, I don't do it and I had to pretty much guesstimate how to do it.

-4, 1, 5 anyone?

• Advertisement

if you write something down nd cross it out again nd if sum of it is right wud u get 3 attempt marks for having some of it write

Yes! As far as I'm aware

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

for 1c were u supposed to divide the two factors in and slove the two remainders or sub in 2 and -1 and then solve

i did both. spent ages and roughly ended up with 4 similar equations with mixed signs

worked ous as -2-2b and b-3

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Ashashi wrote: »
    Not really, usually, you don't need to explain, you just get (any no)^2 > 0.
    I'd imagine it'll be the same this year. I know they give out marks for practically everything, but I can't imagine explaining to the examiner that
    1 > 0 will gain you marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

zam wrote: »
    I said in Q6 that the graph was "increasing". Do you think i'll get attempt marks??

I sure hope so! I said that too.

did nybody else use induction to prove 4c part ii

I did! Thanking my lucky stars they said 'or otherwise' because I didn't see the link with part i at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

mark.oc wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'll be the same this year. I know they give out marks for practically everything, but I can't imagine explaining to the examiner that
    1 > 0 will gain you marks.

Then just elaving it as 16p^2 +1 > 0 would get full marks? cause to me it appeared that I got stuck, so I explained to be sure.

Can't take marks away for being precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I said the same! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

No. Unless they give attempt marks for any answer at all. The answer, I believe, was that it was a straight line, as the slope wasn't variable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Mixed reactions it seems. Soom thought it was ridiculously hard and others thought it was super easy. I thought it was grand tbh. I think with a bit of study for paper 2 i could get that c1 i've been after and maybe even with some more look a b

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

whole stack of people in my year did that too....i knew lookin at it that it didn say integers it said consecutive terms but i hadnt a nothion so i jus took a stab at callin them B=B, C= B+1 and D = C+ 1....hopin for attempt marks!

I just said (n-1)-1

I sure hope so! I said that too.

At least the question is probably only worth 5 marks. Even if we didn't get it it's not too big a deal! Still, it's still technically correct, just not what they were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

I think that was the best exam I've ever done in my life, did all 8 questions and everything work out for me. Q4, usually my best question was challenging but I got it in the end......so happy.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

How did you prove that the summation of r squared was n/6(n+1)(2n+1) - I was trying for ages to get that, and couldn't. I got most of the other questions though - I was happy with it overall. Nervous about P2 though - not as much choice, and a compulsory 'Option' question (it's not really 'option'al)

At least the question is probably only worth 5 marks. Even if we didn't get it it's not too big a deal! Still, it's still technically correct, just not what they were looking for.
    No it isn't. Increasing is relative to where you are looking from. Saying "X increases as Y increases" would be a more accurate answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

for 4c (iii) used the formula r squared = n/6 (n+1)(2n+1)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wish they'd tell us the answers now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

How did you prove that the summation of r squared was n/6(n+1)(2n+1) - I was trying for ages to get that, and couldn't.

I isolated r^2 from c(1) then subbed that into the Sigma bit, split it up, wrote out the first and last terms till they started to cancel then tidied it up and it work out perfectly :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dazco wrote: »
    I isolated r^2 from c(1) then subbed that into the Sigma bit, split it up, wrote out the first and last terms till they started to cancel then tidied it up and it work out perfectly :)

Nice thinking - well done!

I attempted telescoping it out but it didn't work out great. I'm hoping for an attempt mark for that particular bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

how did anyone do Q2 part c(ii)?

Anyone want to give me a guesstimation on the amount of marks docked for Question 8; (b) below?

Correct limits chosen
    Correct formula formed for the area A = 0I1 y.dx + 0I1 y.dx
    Correctly Intregrated A = [3x4-16x3+18x2]01 +[3x4-16x3+18x2]13
    Correctly sub'd in A = [5] - [0] + [-27] - [5]

However, here I got the lenght of -27 before factoring in the 5, thus I got;
    A = 5 +27 - 5
    A = 27 square units

EDIT: Following Note;
    Tried putting in sub and sup text, thats what the bold numbers are, powers and limits, sorry it's unclear.

Please let me know how you think that will be hit, I'm on 280 out of 300 before that blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

I thought it was hard
    Will i get much attempt marks for 8 part b if I got the interval fom 0 to 3 instead of getting 0 to 1 then 1 to 3 and adding I was kicking myself afterwards

How did you prove that the summation of r squared was n/6(n+1)(2n+1) - I was trying for ages to get that, and couldn't. I got most of the other questions though - I was happy with it overall. Nervous about P2 though - not as much choice, and a compulsory 'Option' question (it's not really 'option'al)
    I went with 'otherwise' and proved it by induction.

kieran--f wrote: »
    I thought it was hard

Will i get much attempt marks for 8 part b if I got the interval fom 0 to 3 instead of getting 0 to 1 then 1 to 3 and adding I was kicking myself afterwards

Big blunder, i'd say you're only going to be getting marks for knowing how to integrate it and substitute in properly

kieran--f wrote: »
    I thought it was hard
    Most likely you'll just lose 3 for a blunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I said the graph was decreasing, I hadn't got a breeze and because it was less than one I guessed that. Definitely happy though, had a look at the answers that were posted and got a lot of the same answers, so here's hoping we're both right! I hadn't covered arithmetic sequences in class so though that was a little unfair as it was in Q1 but probably wasn't worth too much.

Advertisement