Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL P 1 - aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

DGRulz wrote: »
    Im very unsure about this paper. I thought it was hard when I walked out but looking at it now it seems easier. got 127 for the area but forgot to right units :( and got 8 for 3bii and just realised i did out 6 roots for ci :S. I knew how to do 2bii but couldnt remember the order of things. TBH i was so drained that by the time I got to 1 and 2. Despite the fact i knew how to do it I couldnt do 1c :(. For 2ci i brought the ab across and reduced it to (a-b)squared and the left a note saying that because anything squared is greater then 0 it was correct. doubt ill get the marks though.

I hope they don't castrate us w/ Paper 2 to balance it out.

Thats what I did what were you meant to do ? Also if you get the answer in a question but don't realise it and keep going do you still gut full marks ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

XXRachelXX wrote: »
    Thats what I did what were you meant to do ? Also if you get the answer in a question but don't realise it and keep going do you still gut full marks ?

Yeah it's right! Ridiculously simple for a (c) part.. same with (c)(ii).. eh i'm not sure really they might take off 3 maximum it depends on the question! I'm terrified for paper 2.. it has to be so hard or else there's going to be sooo many A's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

ya, thats right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I stupidly forgot to put down the make and model of my calculator :(
    Was so stressed. Just opened the paper. Does anyone know if it is a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Part 7(c) look really easy except I couldn't get it out! Got it to be "loge(1+x)" when differentiated except this didn't equal 0 when you substitute in for x it equalled "-1" where the hell did I go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Yeah it's right! Ridiculously simple for a (c) part.. same with (c)(ii).. eh i'm not sure really they might take off 3 maximum it depends on the question! I'm terrified for paper 2.. it has to be so hard or else there's going to be sooo many A's

It was for the 16p^2 one, I has at one stage 16p^2-1>0 but then I broke it up into (4p+1)(4p-1) for some crazy reason, how many marks would you say I'd lose ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It was for the 16p^2 one, I has at one stage 16p^2-1>0 but then I broke it up into (4p+1)(4p-1) for some crazy reason, how many marks would you say I'd lose ?
    That's wrong. It was 16p^2 + 1 > 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Victoria. wrote: »
    I stupidly forgot to put down the make and model of my calculator :(
    Was so stressed. Just opened the paper. Does anyone know if it is a problem?

I'm 99.9999% sure it isn't at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Paddi Jones

Crap reading all this is totally killing my confidence, its seriously looking like I didn't pass, I really gotta stop dwelling on this crap, its just such a freakin' downer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Guys - i really admire u doing honours maths, i did Pass 12 yrs ago! Pat yourselves on the back for doing it

Secondly - rememebr that most people found it tough. And VERY OFTEN the people who think they didn't do well are the ones who get better results than the ones who think they flew it!! I'm serious - i see it every yr on results day

And when u feel that you've done well, be modest about it - think of ur pals who found it hard.

Keep the chin up everyone,
    James

• Advertisement

Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Remember you get marks for every effort u make.
    Don't be on a downer - other exams will go well for you, i promise!

have a rest for yourself this evening
    james

teacher30 wrote: »
    Guys - i really admire u doing honours maths, i did Pass 12 yrs ago! Pat yourselves on the back for doing it

Secondly - rememebr that most people found it tough. And VERY OFTEN the people who think they didn't do well are the ones who get better results than the ones who think they flew it!! I'm serious - i see it every yr on results day

And when u feel that you've done well, be modest about it - think of ur pals who found it hard.

Keep the chin up everyone,
    James
    What is this word "modest"? :D

Seriously though, it's true. Only 8 in my school did honours maths, me included. Most found it too tough. Even a pass is a pretty good achievement, it puts you above 80% of the country, at a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NumberZeroNine

zam wrote: »
    Well I said 16p^2 > -1
    But I'm sure your answer merits the bulk of the marks!

His answer is what you should be setting out to prove, that a sum of perfect squares and known, positive constants is greater then zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

His answer is what you should be setting out to prove, that a sum of perfect squares and known, positive constants is greater then zero.

True. At the same time though, a real number squared times 16 is obviously greater than -1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Crap reading all this is totally killing my confidence, its seriously looking like I didn't pass, I really gotta stop dwelling on this crap, its just such a freakin' downer.

I promise you, boards does not represent a typical cross section of Irish Leaving Certs. I remember last year having a complete panic attack when what I deemed to be a horrendous physics paper was being described by many to be "piss easy." I'm sure you're done better than you think, I was 100% convinced I'd failed it last year but I got a D2.

I know it's hard, but try to focus on the exams you still have to do. You'll be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We're all smart on Boards ;)

I joke...

I know how you feel. I think there's a slight arrogance in some people saying: OMG it was so easy!! Ignore them! They'll face challenges in other exams that you'll probably fly through!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mercurypink

The algebra was delicious. The complex numbers, however... not so delectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MollyJayne

Ok. In reply to everything...

It was a very nice paper, and I think paper two will be the same!

1. c) iii) so annoyed! I got b=-4 and d=6, but somehow I made c=-3-b = c=-3-4=7, when it should have been c=-3+4=1...only realised now! Kept trying to figure out what I'd done wrong... I'd decided to change d to -10 so it would fit the sequence, but it didn't fit the equation =[
    The right answers are definitely -4, 1, 6 as they fit the sequence and the equation...

Another controversial issue...
    6. b) ii) It's definitely a curve. It says in the question that its a curve. Yup, parametric equations of a CURVE.
    I don't know the answer though... I was going to say that its increasing but if its a curve...it curves!

I thought question 8 was lovely! Didn't quite get the last part of c out 'cause I ran out of time (shouldn't have kept checking that question 1!) but should get most of the marks for it...

I think I got atleast 65% in that paper, and I always find paper two easier so I'm really hoping for a B at this stage!

• Advertisement

I promise you, boards does not represent a typical cross section of Irish Leaving Certs. I remember last year having a complete panic attack when what I deemed to be a horrendous physics paper was being described by many to be "piss easy." I'm sure you're done better than you think, I was 100% convinced I'd failed it last year but I got a D2.

I know it's hard, but try to focus on the exams you still have to do. You'll be fine. :)

You're sound!!

MollyJayne wrote: »
    6. b) ii) It's definitely a curve. It says in the question that its a curve. Yup, parametric equations of a CURVE.
    I don't know the answer though... I was going to say that its increasing but if its a curve...it curves!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_%28geometry%29
    In Euclidean geometry, a line is a straight curve....

It's a straight line. That being said, I didn't cop it until near the end of the exam even though it was my first question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_%28geometry%29

It's a straight line. That being said, I didn't cop it until near the end of the exam even though it was my first question.

Ugh, stupid straight curve... Ah well sure tis only 5 marks... There better not be 10 going for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tony1130

Hey I was just wondering what u guys got for 2(b) about alpha and beta .. i said tht since the roots are alpha and beat^2 then ab =rootc/roota which worked out to be 4 if i remember .. sry if its been posted 2 lazy 2 read back :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

teacher30 wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I think there's a slight arrogance in some people saying: OMG it was so easy!! Ignore them! They'll face challenges in other exams that you'll probably fly through!!

Oh gimmee a break! I had someone else say this to me earlier on. The way you've phrased it makes it sound like it's a bad thing for us having done well. Personally I worked really hard at Maths all year long and am well entitled to be as god damn arrogant and confident as I want. In maths you get what you deserve most of the time so people should stop looking at things to blame and start looking at themselves if they feel they done bad.

What is this word "modest"? :D

Seriously though, it's true. Only 8 in my school did honours maths, me included. Most found it too tough. Even a pass is a pretty good achievement, it puts you above 80% of the country, at a minimum.

By modest, i mean "don't brag"!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

MollyJayne wrote: »

It was a very nice paper, and I think paper two will be the same!

1. c) iii) so annoyed! I got b=-4 and d=6, but somehow I made c=-3-b = c=-3-4=7, when it should have been c=-3+4=1...only realised now! Kept trying to figure out what I'd done wrong... I'd decided to change d to -10 so it would fit the sequence, but it didn't fit the equation =[
    The right answers are definitely -4, 1, 6 as they fit the sequence and the equation...

I thought question 8 was lovely! Didn't quite get the last part of c out 'cause I ran out of time (shouldn't have kept checking that question 1!) but should get most of the marks for it...

I think I got atleast 65% in that paper, and I always find paper two easier so I'm really hoping for a B at this stage!

I don't think it's a curve sorry:( The dy/dx is a constant which means the slope doesn't change so it HAS to be a straight line.. I know it says curve but I think that was just a really misleading piece of information.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Oh gimmee a break! I had someone else say this to me earlier on. The way you've phrased it makes it sound like it's a bad thing for us having done well. Personally I worked really hard at Maths all year long and am well entitled to be as god damn arrogant and confident as I want. In maths you get what you deserve most of the time so people should stop looking at things to blame and start looking at themselves if they feel they done bad.
    Exactly. I personally found it piss easy, I highly doubt I got less than 100%, why is that a bad thing? I should be allowed to be happy with myself.

Tony1130 wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering what u guys got for 2(b) about alpha and beta .. i said tht since the roots are alpha and beat^2 then ab =rootc/roota which worked out to be 4 if i remember .. sry if its been posted 2 lazy 2 read back :P

For alphaxbeta i got ±4
    For alpha+beta i got 0 (which i think is wrong!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Part 7(c) look really easy except I couldn't get it out! Got it to be "loge(1+x)" when differentiated except this didn't equal 0 when you substitute in for x it equalled "-1" where the hell did I go wrong?

Nobody any answer to this? :(

Advertisement