Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Level 5 - What about the fees?

Options
  • 11-06-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to do a fetac level 5 course in the botanic gardens after being on social welfare for over 15months, I have the interview in a few weeks, and I have gone down to my local social welfare office and talked to them at length about BTEA and it looks like I'll be ok for that, however I asked him about getting the fee's paid for the course as it is over €1000 and they want that before the course starts in Sept and theres no way i could get that, he said the social welfare cant help with that at all and I need to go to Dublin City Council and talk to them about grants.

The thing is it isnt a college course, its a 1 year fetac course, so as far as I can see from the city council website, i cant apply for a "college" grant from Dublin City Council, is that the case?

Also there seems to be something called the Teagasc Grant Scheme which might be what I need, but I also cant find any info on that. The receptionist at the college also had no idea on funding and told me to contact my social welfare office.

So can I get the course fee paid? If so where do I need to go and see about it?

Heres a link to the course in question: http://www.teagasc.ie/training/courses/vc_horticulture.asp

Any advice appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

I was tearing my hair out trying to get answers to this when I went back to do a Fetac Level 5 in 2008. Nobody seems to know, and keep passing you around, going in circles!

What I learned though is that if it's a PLC there are no fees to be paid for european students. I'm not sure if it needs to be in a VEC college - it may do.

Is it a PLC? Are you sure the €1000 is the course fee, or is it the reg fee or an extra fee for certain optional modules? Can you find a similar course in a VEC college?

The social welfare have a job facilitator who has a €1000 fund for each person who comes to them to dish out to pay for training courses that will help them get jobs. Ask your local office for the facilitators number and make an appointment. You may get a part or all of the €1000 towards the course fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Elessar wrote: »
    I was tearing my hair out trying to get answers to this when I went back to do a Fetac Level 5 in 2008. Nobody seems to know, and keep passing you around, going in circles!

What I learned though is that if it's a PLC there are no fees to be paid for european students. I'm not sure if it needs to be in a VEC college - it may do.

Is it a PLC? Are you sure the €1000 is the course fee, or is it the reg fee or an extra fee for certain optional modules? Can you find a similar course in a VEC college?

The social welfare have a job facilitator who has a €1000 fund for each person who comes to them to dish out to pay for training courses that will help them get jobs. Ask your local office for the facilitators number and make an appointment. You may get a part or all of the €1000 towards the course fee.

wow, thanks for the info, it has been a nightmare finding info on this.
    Greenhills college had the same fetac level 5 course but they arent doing it anymore, i had applied there too. I dont think they are counting this course as a plc as I think everyone has to pay the fee before the course starts. Il definitly try and talk to the job facilitator. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

gline wrote: »
    wow, thanks for the info, it has been a nightmare finding info on this.
    Greenhills college had the same fetac level 5 course but they arent doing it anymore, i had applied there too. I dont think they are counting this course as a plc as I think everyone has to pay the fee before the course starts. Il definitly try and talk to the job facilitator. Thanks again

http://www.cdvec.ie/en/index.cfm/do/BTEI

BTEI

Back to Education Initiative

BTEI is a government funded initiative for adults who do not have formal qualifications above Junior Certificate level and who wish to return to education to upgrade their skills. (My note: It is also available to applicants with Leaving Certificate (or higher) who are in receipt of a Social Welfare payment and/or a current medical card and/or signing for credits).

BTEI provides a wide range of part-time courses at times which suit the learner, for example mornings, afternoons, evenings or weekends. Anyone can take part in these courses. You may even be entitled to a reduced fee depending on your means and previous educational level. The courses are available at a number of CDVEC colleges and centres.

All courses offer certification usually at Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate or FETAC Foundation, Level 1 and Level 2.

Courses offered include:
    Childcare
    Office Skills
    Computing
    English
    Landscape gardening
    Cookery
    Art

In relation to the DSFA fund...my understanding (from talking to our local Jobs Faciliator) is that this fund is no longer available...but I am not 100% sure. Worth checking in with the Jobs Faciliator ...but expect a long wait to see him/her!!

Regards
    V V

Thanks for the info Vinoveritas. Much appriciated.

Unfortunatly I have the course chosen and the Landscape gardening would be a little basic and not really the area I want to get into. The certification on the BTEI would be too low level to be of any use for a job or progression onto a college course I think.

So I take it there is no "set" funding for fetac course fees, for people on social welfare, like the way they cater for PLC or proper college courses? Its not looking good anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Unfortunatly I have the course chosen and the Landscape gardening would be a little basic and not really the area I want to get into. The certification on the BTEI would be too low level to be of any use for a job or progression onto a college course I think.

So I take it there is no "set" funding for fetac course fees, for people on social welfare, like the way they cater for PLC or proper college courses? Its not looking good anyway :(

In our DSP area the Job Facilitator has a grant that she can give to help towards course fees. Its a maximum of 75% of the course fee to a limit of €1000. I know quite a few people who have been able to access it. Maybe see if such a fund is available in your area. Sometimes you have to ask for things specifically before you find out about them ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

The main remit of the BTEI is to target early schools leavers in order to offer them the opportunity to gain Leaving Certificate equivalence (FETAC Levels 4 & 5). However, almost all BTEI providers offer participants the opportunity to complete Major Awards at FETAC Level 5 which is the VERY SAME level achieved in the PLC sector. Therefore, it is worth checking this out further.

Also, education providers can market the same FETAC Award with a slightly different emphasis. So you need to look at all of the modules on offer with the various providers to ensure that you are comparing like with like!!

Cheers
    V V

Hi Gline,

Sent you a PM with details on the Teagasc grant and contact person in Botanic Gardens College of Amenity Horticulture.

Thanks Vinoveritas, il have to check the modules in the course you mentoned then, maybe it has most of the same as the horticulture one.

paperclip2: thanks for the info + pm, that is very helpful, il definitely contact them about the grant.

Thanks for the responses, its piecing together now a bit better, i thought i was screwed, but theres light at the end of the tunnel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 petalkozie

hi gline!
    thats gas, was just checking this place out. my husband has applied for the same course as you in the Botanical Gardens. He is in the same boat as you in regards to funding. His interview is next week. Have you any idea of what the interview will entail? When is yours!

paperclip2, would be able to pm me the info for the teagasc grants too please :)

petalkozie wrote: »
    hi gline!
    thats gas, was just checking this place out. my husband has applied for the same course as you in the Botanical Gardens. He is in the same boat as you in regards to funding. His interview is next week. Have you any idea of what the interview will entail? When is yours!

paperclip2, would be able to pm me the info for the teagasc grants too please :)

mines next week, ive never been for one so ive no clue what they will ask, i would love some info on that aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 petalkozie

my husband's too, I presume it will be what previous experience one has, why one wants to do it and what plans in the future are...
    best of luck with it!

my husband's too, I presume it will be what previous experience one has, why one wants to do it and what plans in the future are...
    best of luck with it!

best of luck to your husband too

Message sent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazy crackers

hi all

am wondering if somebody tell me about my childcare qualification i recieved over 10 years ago means and its NCVA level 2 in childcare im just wondering is that equivelent to fetac level 5 in childcare??

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazy crackers

Thanks a mill!:D

Advertisement