Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C25k to half-marathon

Options
  • 11-06-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hey all, thought I'd set this up to keep me on track and get all your support and advice between now and the Dublin City Half Marathon on September 18th.

36 years old, mum of 2, married to Raycun Last June I joined weightwatchers totally fed up with 2 years of failed attempts at weight loss. In August I started the couch to 5k and haven't stopped running since.
    I also started weight training in January this year & I really enjoy that too.
    Now I am weighing in at 2 stone less than I did this time last year and am loving being so much more fit & healthy (and hotter:D)

Race History

Rathfarnham road race 4/10/09 - 29:07m
    Jingle Bells 5k, 5/12/09 - 28:50m
    MSB St.Patricks 5k 14/03/10 - 26:15m
    Great Ireland Run 10k 18/04/10 - 60:09m
    Sportworld 5mile classic 16/05/10- 44:37

So the next big thing is the Adidas Series, I am going to do the Hal Higdon novice half marathon programme to prepare, so that will be a change for me, following a set programme. Up till now I have in general done 3 runs per week (2 x 5k, and then a longer one at weekends, longest being 11.5km) and three weight training sessions per week.

It's a 12 week programme so I'm starting Monday & allowing myself 2 buffer weeks in case of sickness or injury. I do have a troublesome left calf and I'm hoping I can keep it at bay with some serious core work and being a good girl at stretching :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The couple that runs together, stays together :pac:

Good luck with the training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

The couple that runs together, stays together :pac:

But we never run together! :eek: We do talk about it a bit though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Good luck Dotcomdolly!!

Ill be there with you running too!!

We can support each other!!

You have a little longer to train than me but I hope Ill have time to get mine done. Not goina worry about my time - just wanna finish!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But we never run together! :eek: We do talk about it a bit though :)

Because you're too sl
    ...er, because you listen to your iPod when you're running!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great to see you setting up a log for this.

I started that exact program yesterday! I'm keeping a log as well.

I started out with C25k in Feb and started Weight Watchers in March. When I finished C25k, I used Hal Higdons 10k Novice plan to get me to the Mini Marathon on Monday. I really enjoyed following his plan...and it definitely builds you up to the required fitness.

I'd love to do that race series but I'm going on holidays for three weeks in July. So I'm following the Half Marathon plan until then just to stay fit etc (and I actually enjoy it!). Hopefully I'll pick everything back up when I get back from holidays and I can keep an eye an your thread so I'll know what to expect!! :D

Best of luck and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck dotcomdolly. I bet it's a case of one of arriving in the door and the other going straight out :pac:. Our house is like that too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Good luck with the program dotcomdolly, Im starting it too. It will be great to have another person to compare notes with! Im aiming for the Adidas Series too, so hopefully we'll both make it there in one piece!

And so we begin :D

Week 1 Day 1

Stretch & Strength
    Did a 1 hour Pilates class, boy hard work. I've done 3 (asfair) 6 week courses and then missed that last set because of holidays and I have clearly fallen behind. Last time I could do straight leg full roll ups , tonight I couldn't even manage the leg bent ones, had to use the band to help me back up :mad: So will have to practice during the week and build my strength back up asap. Onwards and core-wards!

Great to get it started!

Week 1 day 2
    2 mile run

I swapped over days as today was my first day running after a miserable 17 days off due to a pulled calf muscle. And what a glorious day for my return.
    Went to my ww meeting (I have a gold card since October but check in every month or so) and then ran from there down to Bushy park, did a lap, and back to the car (so ended up a bit longer than planned 2 mile) Felt good, leg felt fine. Pelvis was a bit twingey....

As you can see I use the nike+ (sportband) so I'll link to that in my log

ran 2.38 mi on 15/6/2010 at 10:58 AM!
    av pace 8'55
    http://go.nike.com/2gons3c

• Advertisement

Good for you for maintaing your weight! Thats an achievement in itself. I've been doing WW since March. I reckon training for a half marathon is bound to help :D

Thats great to hear that your leg was able to take the run.

Your time is very fast as well!

dolliemix wrote: »

Your time is very fast as well!

Thanks! Probably because I was so excited to be out running again, like a dog let off the lead! :D I usually run around the 9'30ish mark

Morning all
    Week 1 Day 3 => 3 mile run

I ran 2.93 mi on 16/6/2010 at 9:29 AM av pace 9'28
    http://go.nike.com/777fgs9

Very hot out there this morning and my first time running consecutive days...ever...I think. Legs felt a bit heavy about half way around. My intercostal muscles (between ribs) are aching from pilates so running really jarred them but that should have gone by tomorrow I hope.

Happy training everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Morning all
    Week 1 Day 3 => 3 mile run

I ran 2.93 mi on 16/6/2010 at 9:29 AM av pace 9'28
    http://go.nike.com/777fgs9

Very hot out there this morning and my first time running consecutive days...ever...I think. Legs felt a bit heavy about half way around. My intercostal muscles (between ribs) are aching from pilates so running really jarred them but that should have gone by tomorrow I hope.

Happy training everyone :)

Well done with the training. I promise consecutive training does get easier as fitness develops. My advice would be to be smart and listen to your body and learn the difference between uncomfort and genuine pain and if the body needs a rest day dont be afraid to take one every now and then. The idea of training is to stress and adapt as such your recoveries are important. Many people try to do too much too soon and get disheartened. try to keep consistency and you will see the benefits.
    Best of luck with your training

Wow it must have been so good you wrote it twice!! :D Well done!

I feel like I'm constantly going around with some stiff/tight muscle somewhere. Ha! But its good pain!!

Week 1 Day 4 => 3m run + strength

Well that was challenging!
    Off to a bad start as I was exhausted. Our little one was awake & in to us at 5.30am :eek:
    Did school run, down to gym, rang from gym down to bushy park, did a lap and then back, just a smidge under the 3 miles.
    Third day running in a row and I felt surprisingly ok..
    I did a quick pilates workout yesterday evening so maybe that helped & I will endeavour to do that every evening to help stabilise my wonky pelvis

ran 2.98 mi on 17/6/2010 at 9:28 AM av pace 9'29
    http://go.nike.com/6idtfbt

Back to gym, quick wash of face, and on to the weights.
    I did 3 sets of 8 reps of chest press, deadlift, and back squats all with a 15kg barbell and then 3 sets of 12 tricep yokes with a 6kg.

Rewarded myself with a nice long stretch, shower, jacuzzi & sauna. Off for a nap now before I have to collect madam.

So looking fwd to rest day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Dotcomdolly, am reading your log with interest because our past race times are pretty similiar, so it's good to have you as motivation.
    Well done on your workout and run today - very impressive.

Thanks jcsmum :)

Week 1 Day 6 - 30 min cross

Went to G'ems weight training today, brilliant experience, and I'm sureI worked hard enough to count as my cross training. Also walked from Portobello to Merrion Square at a fair clip, was nice to stretch out my poor squat destroyed thighs! Can't say I'm hopeful for a pleasant 4 miler tomorrow :rolleyes:If I hadn't arranged to run with someone else I would defer but hey ho.

Week 1 Day 7 => 4 mile run

Great run through the forest at Marlay park. Really pleased with the pace for the slightly longer run, but I was running with someone else (for the first time ever!) so that may be why.

ran 4.16 mi on 20/6/2010 at 9:28 AM av pace 9'49
    http://go.nike.com/1sk93jp

Total for week 12.44 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one, lovely morning for it! :)

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 1 => Stretch & Strengthen

woohoo, week 2 ! Did a 1hr pilates class this evening, hard work in the heat.

Week 2 Day 2 => 3 mile run

Hard going this morning. Time of the month and I might as well have been running with ankle weights, my legs just felt like lead. And the heat too! Yowsa, glad it's over.

ran 3.05 mi on 22/6/2010 at 9:27 AM
    http://go.nike.com/264relh
    av pace 9'32

Week 2 , Day 3 => Cross-training

Went to the gym to put G'ems teaching into practice.

:rolleyes: Couldn't see a squat rack :o and no staff to ask so I couldn't go as heavy as I was planning as I wouldn't have been able to get the bar up.
    Still added a few kilo on last week so still good.
    so 3 x 5 back squats @18kg
    then on to overhead presses - I can't rem what bar we used on Saturday so used the 18 bar, I managed the first set of 5 but then failed after 2, tired again, only 2 again.
    Then deadlifts - 2 x 5 @30kg, and 1 x5 @40kg. Very pleased with myself :)

Then on to assisted chin up machine, did 6 @30kg, and 6 @35.

and did my core work and some stretches.

Week 2, Day 4 => 3mile run + strength

ran 3.04 mi on 24/6/2010 at 9:25 AM
    http://go.nike.com/117ci84
    av pace 9'06

For strength I did some exercises at home. 2 circuits of
    5 pressups (full)
    30 sec plank
    20 bird dogs

will do my physio pilates exercises this evening.

You're doing really well! I'll definitely be using this as a guide to help me when I start out Hals plan properly in August. :)

Thanks dolliemix :)

Week 2, Day 5 => Rest Day

Week 2, Day 6 => Cross-training was supposed to do weights at gym but circumstances were against me so I just went for a nice walk.

Week 2, Day 5 => 4 mile run
    ran 4.02 mi on 27/6/2010 at 9:16 AM
    http://go.nike.com/078pvo3v
    av pace 9'42
    yowsa, niggle city - pelvis, calf, knee...feel like an old crock.

Total miles week 2 = 10.10

Week 2, Day 4 => 3mile run + strength

ran 3.04 mi on 24/6/2010 at 9:25 AM
    http://go.nike.com/117ci84
    av pace 9'06

For strength I did some exercises at home. 2 circuits of
    5 pressups (full)
    30 sec plank
    20 bird dogs

will do my physio pilates exercises this evening.

What on earth is a bird dog???
    Thanks dolliemix :)

Week 2, Day 5 => Rest Day

Week 2, Day 6 => Cross-training was supposed to do weights at gym but circumstances were against me so I just went for a nice walk.

Week 2, Day 5 => 4 mile run
    ran 4.02 mi on 27/6/2010 at 9:16 AM
    http://go.nike.com/078pvo3v
    av pace 9'42
    yowsa, niggle city - pelvis, calf, knee...feel like an old crock.

Total miles week 2 = 10.10

Old crocks cant run 4 miles at 9:42 pace - you're doing fantastic.

Got dragged up Killiney hill after my run so really feeling crock like now!

A bird dog is this exercise. You need to stabalise your core and try to twist your hips when doing it, tricky.

superhuman.jpg

superhuman.jpg

Cool, we do that in my yoga class, It kills me, cant get the hang of it at all. 20 of them would finish me off altogether.

• Advertisement

I've done them in Body Balance. Really hard but very effective because I find it really hard to cough or laugh the day after :D

Advertisement