Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C25k to half-marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Week 3, Day 1 => Stretch & Strengthen
    Very ab-centred pilates class, was hurting after it but surprisingly ok today

Week 3, Day 2 => 3.5m run
    Enjoyed this more than I thought I would as my calf muscle is bothering me again.
    I have been reading this great book

51N3PC-XsML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and there was a bit about midfoot running so I tried to implement that today, even though I'm sure it was a half arsed attempt I do feel it took some of the pressure off my calf. Also probably took my mind off the run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done! It is all about trying to enjoy the run, isn't it. :)

Week 3, Day 3 => cross
    Didn't so , so there Hal! Just feeling a bit sore & tired this week so am oing to take the non running days off completely (with the exception of pilates class)

Week 3, Day 4 => 3.5m run
    ran 3.52 mi on 1/7/2010 at 5:29 PM with a pace of 9'45"/mi
    Legs sore, but glad to get out of the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Week 3, Day 3 => cross
    Didn't so , so there Hal!

Lol! Don't think Hal would mind so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

dolliemix wrote: »
    Lol! Don't think Hal would mind so much.

And if he does mind, he's just gonna have to get over it, I have a feeling it'll be happening occasionally with all of us during this whole half marathon thing.

• Advertisement

Week 3, days 5 & 6 => rest days

Week 3, day 7 => 6 miles

ran 6.03 mi on 4/7/2010 at 9:14 AM with a pace of 10'58"/mi

Took it really slow & listened to podcasts (womens hour) so I wouldn't speed up with the music. Felt pretty good, the drizzle & breeze were nice and cooling. I was around Terenure college so got to see all the cool classic cars going in for the exhibition today.

TOTAL WEEK 3 = 13.07m
    Total training miles to date = 31.64

eta - D'oh just looked up training plan & it wasn't a 6 mile run, it was 5! oh well.

Well done on doing the 6 miles yesterday. I looked out the window and convinced myself it was too windy! :o:D
    Have promised to do a long run this evening!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on doing the 6 miles yesterday. I looked out the window and convinced myself it was too windy! :o:D
    Have promised to do a long run this evening!

It's windy and rainy now :D

Week 4 Day 1 => Stretch & Strengthen
    Week 4 out of 12 :) getting there! Pilates class this evening, was good. I do find I don't push myself as much at this as I do with other forms of exercise though. I tend to stop when it starts hurting too much which probably isn't so good.....
    Week 4, Day 2 => 3.5mi run
    ran 3.88 mi on 6/7/2010 at 10:00 AM with a pace of 9'58"/mi
    Hmmm...felt like I was faster that that, not to worry.

It's windy and rainy now :D
    :pac: teehee, you're mean!!:pac:

Week 4 Day 1 => Stretch & Strengthen
    Week 4 out of 12 :) getting there! Pilates class this evening, was good. I do find I don't push myself as much at this as I do with other forms of exercise though. I tend to stop when it starts hurting too much which probably isn't so good.....
    QUOTE]

I intentionally dont push myself as hard on my strength & stretch day, I do yoga for my S&S and use it to unravel all my poor tired muscles as well as build on my core and upper body strength. But we're working so hard every other day surely its ok to take it a little bit easier on our non running days? and the last thing we need to do is damage ourselves on the non running days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Tipsygypsy wrote: »

I intentionally dont push myself as hard on my strength & stretch day, I do yoga for my S&S and use it to unravel all my poor tired muscles as well as build on my core and upper body strength. and the last thing we need to do is damage ourselves on the non running days!

+1 on this. Tbh I think the worst thing you can do is to overdo it on days off. Especially the Strenght and stretch day as you want to be recuperating from your long run the day before.

I read recently ( probably on runnersworld) that you should never underestimate the importance of rest days. You need them to allow your muscles to recover and overdoing it on these days will lead to muscle fatigue and injury. So take these days easy!

For my s&s I just do stretches, calf, quads, shins, back, arms etc and finish with some squats with light dumbbells and some ab crunches.

But my emphasis is always on strecthing my muscles gently.

Thanks for feedback girls, I guess I must try a bit cos my sides are still hurting from Mondays class!

so
    Week 4, Day 3
    nada :)
    Week 4, Day 4 =>3.5m
    3.81 mi on 8/7/2010 at 9:48 AM with a pace of 9'26"/mi
    a good bit faster than Monday so, that'll be the toons rather than womens hour I reckon :cool: Felt good, but the thought always strikes me, 13 miles??? like that, 3 times? in a row??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe a little slower than that... if you run 10 minute miles, that gets you around the half in 2.10, which is perfectly respectable.

Thanks for feedback girls, I guess I must try a bit cos my sides are still hurting from Mondays class!

so
    Week 4, Day 3
    Week 4, Day 4 =>3.5m
    a good bit faster than Monday so, that'll be the toons rather than womens hour I reckon :cool: Felt good, but the thought always strikes me, 13 miles??? like that, 3 times? in a row??

I hear ya! The idea of running 13 miles is just plain crazy to me. But then again if you had told me a year ago that I would be running 4, 5 or 6 mile runs, I would have said that was crazy too.
    We will do it! :):eek:

so
    Week 4, Day 3
    Week 4, Day 4 =>3.5m

Yep, Im starting to realise that we're all flipping mental tackling this, I just keep thinking 'its only double what Ive raced before'!

Week 4, day 5 and 6 - off

Week 4, day 7 = > 5mi run

Lovely run around Tymon park with Rainbow Kirby & jcsmum
    5.03 mi on 11/7/2010 at 10:03 AM with a pace of 9'44"/mi

TOTAL WEEK 4 = 12.72m
    Total training miles to date = 44.36

Week 5, day 1
    Pilates class

Week 5, Day 2 => 4mi run
    D'oh I thought I was still on 3.5, oh well, half way between
    3.75 mi on 13/7/2010 at 10:02 AM with a pace of 9'30"/mi

Plan is to go out tomorrow evening as I'm busy Thursday and then race Saturday. I might do a slow recovery run on Sunday to get the weeks mileage up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I might do a slow recovery run on Sunday to get the weeks mileage up.

No, you can't, because that was my plan

Week 5, Day 3
    ran 3.04 mi on 14/7/2010 at 7:14 PM with a pace of 9'34"/mi

That's it for me till Saturday morning :)

Week 5, Day 6

Did the Irish Runner 5mile-ish Road Race :rolleyes:
    Was super excited & thrilled with my time 42:32 (compared to 44:37 at Sportworld) until I came on here!
    But I feel I really did myself proud, and guess what my motivation was - my arch nemesis!!! A man who said "now watch your pace or you won't be able to finish" to me at the 4th mile at Sportsworld in May :mad: I turned around in the starting pen & there he was!! Well I saw his back once, and said to myself "that's the last time you'll see his back girl!" and I kept to it. I just looked him up and he finished nearly 2 mins behind me, har har har. God I'm terrible :blush:
    Onwards & upwards now, 5 weeks to the 10 mile :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

But I feel I really did myself proud, and guess what my motivation was - my arch nemesis!!! A man who said "now watch your pace or you won't be able to finish" to me at the 4th mile at Sportsworld in May :mad: I turned around in the starting pen & there he was!! Well I saw his back once, and said to myself "that's the last time you'll see his back girl!" and I kept to it. I just looked him up and he finished nearly 2 mins behind me, har har har. God I'm terrible :blush:
    Onwards & upwards now, 5 weeks to the 10 mile :eek:

Those little personal victories are always the sweetest :) Well done today, definite improvement from your Sportsworld time and on a tougher course.

Thanks Xebec, I reckon the hills and bigger crowd cancel out the 190m or whatever debacle :D
    I have gone to dramatic lengths to prove today that you can out-eat(and drink) any workout though. Burp!

Week 5, Day 6
    2.53 mi on 18/7/2010 at 9:16 AM with a pace of 9'53"/mi
    and christened my new t-shirt.

TOTAL WEEK 5 = 14.17m
    Total training miles to date = 58.54

Well done! Delighted you were pleased with yesterday's performance, that's all that matters really!
    So, you have a running stalker eh? And you left him in the dust! GO YOU!
    You should have hung around the finish line, pretending to file your nails or something as he crossed over!:D:cool:

jcsmum wrote: »
    You should have hung around the finish line, pretending to file your nails or something as he crossed over!:D:cool:

Instead of the not so cool puking? 3rd race in a row I've done that :rolleyes: I think it's because I sprint the last bit & get a massive adrenaline rush or something , then I stop & VOM (not badly just a little heave, lol). It's my "thing" now!

You are not alone there, it happened me yesterday too, as I was sprinting for the line. I must have looked a right eejit, I had to put my hand to my mouth and pray that I wouldn't embarrass myself. Dry heaving is nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Jees, have you two not realised yet that if you don't puke then you weren't working hard enough ;) Sign of a real push towards the end of race! Obv not the nicest sensation in the world but a little thing to be sorta proud of all the same...

Week 6 , day 1
    Omg, the start of the half way point!
    1 hr pilates class

Week 6, day 2

ran 4.28 mi on 20/7/2010 at 9:34 AM with a pace of 10'32"/mi
    leg a bit twingey but lovely weather for it & helped run off my *bad* mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Week 6 , day 1
    Omg, the start of the half way point!
    1 hr pilates class

Week 6, day 2
    ran 4.28 mi on 20/7/2010 at 9:34 AM with a pace of 10'32"/mi
    leg a bit twingey but lovely weather for it & helped run off my *bad* mood.

well done dotcom. You are perservering well!

Im delighted to be at the half way point too. I admire your pace, I am still a slow coach, you put me to shame, but its great we are all managing to hold on in there, as the going does get tough sometimes. I sometimes wake up and the first thing I think of on bad days is "is this a bloody running day!!? But by the time I do it that evening I am usually a bit more motivated.

It was funny recently my OH said to me "this whole jogging thing is turning into more than a hobby ya know, your obsessed"!. Never thought Id hear those words uttered!! lol

I read in the half marathon plan that if we manage to get to 10 miles in training we should be good for the race itself. Im not convinced though!! What are you aiming for?

• Advertisement

3.8miles tonight, usually go out on Thurs a.m but I had an appt with a personal shopper dahling :)
    enjoying some red wine tonight, looking fwd to a run a run with de gurls on Sunday.

Advertisement