Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C25k to half-marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

3.8miles tonight, usually go out on Thurs a.m but I had an appt with a personal shopper dahling :)
    enjoying some red wine tonight, looking fwd to a run a run with de gurls on Sunday.

Oh so you're still running with us?? Is we posh enough for ya? Dahling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

jcsmum wrote: »
    Oh so you're still running with us?? Is we posh enough for ya? Dahling! :D

Ah I don't mind slumming it :pac:

So a 7.1 mi run this morning with the elite Tymon Terriers :D Was great as I only planned on doing 6! but we took a very scenic route around & about the park, and around & about some more.

TOTAL WEEK 6 = 15.2m
    Total training miles to date = 73.74

Fook my leg hurts! Have a bag of peas on it now. I could feel it bothering me after the long run so took 2 days off but tonight was painful, bugger, hope these are magic peas!

Week 7, Day 1

Pilates
    Week 7, days 2

rest
    Week 7, day 3

ran 4.61 mi on 28/7/2010 at 7:06 PM with a pace of 9'51"/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Fook my leg hurts! Have a bag of peas on it now. I could feel it bothering me after the long run so took 2 days off but tonight was painful, bugger, hope these are magic peas!

Week 7, Day 1
    Pilates
    Week 7, days 2
    rest
    Week 7, day 3

Crap, I hope the peas work their magic for you and you're back running ok tomorrow.

Do you find the pilates help you supple out? Thinking of taking it up when I'm back up and running but never tried it before so a bit wary!!

Week 7, Day 1

Pilates
    Week 7, days 2

rest
    Week 7, day 3

Gave this a go too

using this
    sportachespainsba.jpeg which I love & use a lot

• Advertisement

Thanks Shazkea, unfortunately no joy. I'm due to run today but it look like I'm injured, the front of my ankle/lower leg is actually sore to the touch, so I don't know - shin splints? stress fracture? sprain?
    I have extra weeks built in to my HH half training for things like this so I am taking a week off...BUT not for the 10 mile, so I'm a bit worried...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll be grand for the 10, it's three weeks away. You don't have to run 10 miles before the day, as long as you're up to 8 or 9 you'll be fine

Ah just logged on, that's crap news about your injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hope you're feeling better with a little rest after the weekend. Its hard when your mind is there but your body won't let you!

Thanks Shazkea, unfortunately no joy. I'm due to run today but it look like I'm injured, the front of my ankle/lower leg is actually sore to the touch, so I don't know - shin splints? stress fracture? sprain?
    I have extra weeks built in to my HH half training for things like this so I am taking a week off...BUT not for the 10 mile, so I'm a bit worried...

Oh no, that's crap and you were going great. If you can get yourself to a physio, it will work wonders and they'll know straight away what the prob is. If it's any help my shin splints are sore to touch too so hopefully it's not a fracture. 2 things I have found great for shin splints (in addition to physio!)
    1. Toe taps - in seated position lift toes off floor, keeping your heel firmly down and hold for 15 - 20 secs. Repeat for 5 mins every hour or so. Also helps to stretch calves in reverse
    2. Stretch on a step both downwards and upwards.

As for the 10 mile, I know how you feel but fingers crossed we'll both be flying for it :D

• Advertisement

Still very sore ankle her, beginning to worry about how serious it is. I have been off it pretty much all day, and been wearing an elastic ankle support but that 2 inch section of bone is still sore to the touch and if I walk on it I can definitely feel discomfort. I'm worried that if I'm not fit for a 8mi run next Sunday (ie what I should have done today) I will be scuppered for the 10mi race on the 21st. I will ring the physio first thing on Tuesday & try to get appt asap...

Thanks for the exercise tips Shazkea

Leg is still sore this morning, rang physio, and they're all booked up till Thursday. I am so fed up, it means most likely I won't be able to do my 8mi run next Sunday, so let's see...an 8mi on the 15th (if I can manage it) and then 10mi on the 21st, not ideal by any means....

I am so pissed off with how my body keep letting me down, this is the third time I've been injured in a year. Maybe I'm just not destined to be a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Aw head up Dotcomdolly.

Dont put pressure on yourself. Everyone goes through pitfalls in their training. I know its annoying, I had to take 2 weeks off with a chest infection at one point, but dont let it make you give up!

You are destined to be a runner, look at your progress, determination and pace and anyone can see you are able to run!

This is just your body's way of telling you to have a rest. If you push yourself too much you wont be able to run AT ALL.

Go to your appointment and take it from there.

Good luck

Oh D, I feel so bad for you. :(

Thanks girls,
    will try my new pilates video this evening, might make me feel a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

L
    I am so pissed off with how my body keep letting me down, this is the third time I've been injured in a year. Maybe I'm just not destined to be a runner.

I know exactly how you feel, I've been running less than 6 months and have been out of action twice now with injuries. The first time wasn't so bad, but the second time I got really down about it and spent a lot of time thinking I would never be a runner. I was out of action for 3 weeks and couldn't even do any cross-training.

After a couple of weeks back in action I was pretty much back to the level I was at pre-injury, and you will be the same. Just rest yourself, and try to stay positive (I know it's hard) and you will be back to form in no time!

Not good news at physio - shin splints, no running or *at least* another week, ice & volatarol gel twice a day. 20 minute stretching routine twice a day. And the worst bit - if I'm serious about doing the half I should give the 10mile on the 21st a miss.
    But I can go 30-40 min on the exercise bike though - whoop frickin whoop:rolleyes:

Totally bummed.....but friends have got much worse news today (re their adoption application) so I shall try & keep perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Ah that's bad news, but look after yourself now and you should be well on course for the half. You can put the voltarol on 4 times a day if you feel it's helping. And you don't have to be too sparing with it!

I'm nursing a few niggles so I'm resting up myself - I hit the exercise bike in the gym this evening and barely managed the 30 minutes - it was tough on the legs. You never know, when we're back to full health all the cross-training might stand to us and we'll be flying up the hills on the half :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah that's tough Dotcomdolly. Hope you're not out of action too long. It's v tough having an injury, and it's hard to rest - I know, I've been through it a few times and I'm only running since feb 09! Take it easy and hopefully you'll be back to normal soon :)

So gutted for you, but hopefully you will be up and out and training for the half in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sorry to hear. Especially as you were doing so well!

How did the pilates video go?

dolliemix wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. Especially as you were doing so well!

How did the pilates video go?

Thank everyone, yeah it was good..
    I did this one - STOTT PILATES: Sculpt & Tone

Will do it again tomorrow.

I went to the gym this morning and did 21.5 minutes on the exercise bike , didn't last the 30+ minutes, my bum was sore!
    Did my stretching down there too, bit embarrassing (hang heels off step with bended knee = looks like you're trying to poo!) but good to get them out of the way.

Retail therapy all morning, followed my a misjudged run for the bus, D'oh! OW!

Did Pilates vid this morning, followed by my physio stretches, icing & voltarol, while Ray was out doing his 18mi lsr :(

Even though I am "off the hook" of the 10 mile the half is a LOT closer than I thought when I actually look at the calendar. My next physio appt is on thurs 12th, all going well I should be back running next Saturday but no way can I jump in at 9mi, sure I was only up to 7mi before injury.

15/08 - 9mi
    22/08 - 10mi
    29/08 - 11mi
    5/09 - 12mi
    12/09 - 10mi
    18/09 - THE HALF

I will post this in the half thread too and hopefully get some advice.

Gym this morning - 30 mins on exercise bike and some upper body free weights.
    Leg feeling less sore, but still quite weak.

Well done D, easy does it..... :)

Gym this morning - 30 mins on exercise bike and some upper body free weights.
    Leg feeling less sore, but still quite weak.

Keep it up, it will stand to you.

I've found Bio Freeze gel great after a gym session. I slap some on immediately after a gym session until I can get home to an ice-pack. For me I find it helps more than the voltarol but maybe that's just me! I also put some on before I go to bed too and just use voltarol or tiger balm before I head to gym to warm up muscles.
    Oh and the other thing is the foam roller :eek: - horrible instrument of torture but it does seem to be helping shins and my quad.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hi there! Just wanted to say chin up with the injury, I've been there and it's very frustrating. Unfortunately all you can do is give it time and patience and keep up the good work on the cross training. Hopefully you'll be back on form soon. If it's any consolation, I found the cross training & spinning really stood to me when I was out and my ankles seem stronger than ever now :)

Thanks girls, doing all my stuff and pilates/exercise bike on alternate days.
    Everyone keep suggesting swimming but I just got my highlights done! :p

I'm kinda hoping I might manage the 10mile, I have my number sitting here beside me. Maybe a run 2 mile, walk 4 minutes approach...we'll see.....

25 mins on exercise bike last night, made it a bit harder by doing 30sec intervals at higher resistance every 2 minutes - I tell ya I was sweattin!
    Leg feel pretty ok, still a bit tender...physio appt tomorrow evening.
    Think I'll go for the 10 mile race, have a massage in the physio tent before and after, take 4 min walk breaks every 2 miles? madness?

• Advertisement

DC thinking of the exact same strategy myself as I don't think I would be back up to a full 10 miles running. So if you need some company for the run/walk let me know!!

Good luck in physio tomorrow.

Advertisement