Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C25k to half-marathon

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Ow ow ow!!! Pay someone good money to hurt you, madness!
    He says it's a good bit better than last week but still some inflammation...rec'd walking every day between now & Saturday and then if I'm ok a short run on Sunday. He really thinks I should not do the 10 mile, that'd jeopardise the half...maybe if I can keep to the run/walk plan, but would I get carried away and run it all, the inflammation would flare up & then I'd be 1-2 weeks off in the 4 week gap to the half.
    Urghh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

D, I think I would sit out the 10mile. You may get caught up in the excitement of it all and run too much and injure yourself. I know it's awful to be on the sidelines for it, but it is better than injuring yourself for the half, or doing some long term damage.
    :(

Oh girls, I'm in a heap here :( Just went out for a "test run" after 2.5 weeks off and 2 physio sessions, it didn't feel good, not painful, but uncomfortable, I managed 1.5m :rolleyes: and I was done in. But jesus I practically limped home and then the pain really kicked in :cry:
    I am just so sick of this....I signed up to do the Adidas 3 series and this was a huge deal for me .... I decided to run the half in aid of St James' hospital, oncology dept. as my best friend has recently been treated there, and now here I am, broken.
    But I have chatted with dh and I think the best thing is to make a clean break , it's just making me miserable and it's supposed to be fun. There are other ways of keeping fit. I'll go back to it when I am completely pain free and not before but will stick to recreational runs and shorter races.

An almost exactly 1 year running career!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

The fun part is the most important part. Its so easy to get caught up in the competitive side. This time last year you probably never expected to get as far as you did. I know sometimes we need something to aim for to keep us going but its also nice to just run for the sake of it, the head space time!

Hope you feel relieved since you made that decision and I wish you a speedy recovery! :)

What a lovely and spot-on reply, thank you :) I feel relieved, and sad too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh D, am so so gutted for you. I know how much you enjoyed your running. I think Ray is right, make a clean break for now and you will come back stronger and fitter when your body is able.
    It just goes to show how we are all at the mercy of our bodies and how we have to listen to them.
    Will be thinking of you on Saturday, I'm sure you be up at the park anyway cheering himself on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ah Dotcomdolly, sorry to read your update! But, better to be sensible about it, than risk further injury/damage. Concentrate on getting fully recovered. There'll be plenty of time to get back into running, in the future.

Mind yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah that's awful. Really hope the break helps you, and try not to worry about missing the race series - there's one on every year! Good luck with a speedy recovery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

So sorry that it came to this Dotcom, but obviously its the most sensible decision. Give your injury time to properly heal, rather than pushing it and risking long term damage.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your other pursuits as much as you did running.

This isnt goodye, it is only farewell!! ;)

Thanks all, ho hum....
    I will not be in the park on sat jcsmum! The kids are going to their grandads for a couple of hours and I'm going to do something nice on my own :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey, sorry to hear about your injury. Such a shame after your hard work but it'll make you stonger for a big return next year! Treat yourself at the weekend, get a massage, drink wine, go shopping, spend all of RC's money...:D Really hope you feel better soon, C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just reading this DC, that's rubbish. Enjoy Sat morn and totally agree with Claralara's advice on things to do. Hopefully you'll be back soon and enjoying your runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jaysus, stop telling her to spend all my money! She doesn't need encouragement! :D

Advertisement