Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townes Van Zandt

• 11-06-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

I know that he wrote with Brian Wilson but is his solo material worth looking into?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

He's amazing! 'Waiting Around To Die' is such a good song. Also, check out Steve Earles 'Townes' album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Check out Live at the Old Quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

One of the best bunch of songwriters to come out of Texas.!
    Van Zant,Guy and Susanna Clarke,Rodney Crowell,Steve Earle,Lyle Lovett,Skinny Denis,Steve Goodman,Jerry Jeff Walker, and so many more all shared the same house in Austen in the early 70’s.
    After Guy Clarke dying,a film-documentary was released(Heart worn hiways) showing the jamming sessions, they were something!
    Also look up Clarke’s biography,(Without getting killed,or caught), to get more information on Van Zant!—a brilliant but troubled genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

thesultan wrote: »
    I know that he wrote with Brian Wilson but is his solo material worth looking into?

I recently got in to Townes Van Zandt and have been playing his songs on the guitar. His most famous song is 'poncho and lefty', a song Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard had a hit with. He has another very nice song called 'If I needed you'. Apparently Bob Dylan was a huge fan.

Unfortunately, like a lot of songwriters, he had his troubles with alcohol throughout his life and died in his 50's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement