Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NB: HL History 2010

• 11-06-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I had a few responses on a different thread but I really wanted to ask everyone, how much would ye usually write for a history essay??

Our teacher always told us 5-6 pages, and I always thought this was the norm until now!!

To those who write c. 3 pages, how do you fit in all the information? I don't think I'd be able :eek:

How many pages for HL History Essay?? 27 votes

2-3
    0% 0 votes
    3-4
    14% 4 votes
    4-5
    44% 12 votes
    5+
    40% 11 votes

Comments

First of all it depends on your handwriting. My essays are usually around 4-5 pages, but for the same amount of words that's only 2-3 in my friend's handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

:eek: I repeat, how do you condense your information?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

around 4 and a half is all i can do in 35 mins but at the same time my writing gradually gets messier, bigger and only 5 words fit in a line

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i write about 6-7 pages, with 2 paragrphs on each page with about 5 marks for each so i get over the 60 which you need to get to get 100/100...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

No wonder I got 41% in the mocks. I only wrote about 3 and a half pages in each essay, and I was even stretching at that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

hokeypokey wrote: »
    i write about 6-7 pages, with 2 paragrphs on each page with about 5 marks for each so i get over the 60 which you need to get to get 100/100...
    Get over the 60 to get 100? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

:eek: I repeat, how do you condense your information?!

I've fairly reasonable writing - anywhere from 7 - 9 words per line.
    I'd get about 3 and a half - 4 pages done.

To condense your sentences they literally have to be fact.fact.fact.fact.link next paragraph
    (well ok you need more than that but i wasn't writing fact ten times!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

60/60 in the Cumulative (paragraph) mark

I write about 4-5 pages on average but it varies greatly essay to essay. I basically write as much as humanly possible in the 40 minutes without stopping to think too much, can range from 3 to 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

the marking scheme is split into 60/40
    the 60 goes for your paragraphs and there's 12 for each paragraphs.
    Writing 6 good paragraphs that get you 12 each = over 60, but its unlikely you'll get 12 for every one. 6 x 9marks = 54, which is very close and easier to get:)

i try to write as much as possible but the time is a b*tch :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Keogg wrote: »
    the marking scheme is split into 60/40
    the 60 goes for your paragraphs and there's 12 for each paragraphs.
    Writing 6 good paragraphs that get you 12 each = over 60, but its unlikely you'll get 12 for every one. 6 x 9marks = 54, which is very close and easier to get:)
    What are the 40 marks for ? So you get 60 marks for essentially writing 5 pages , of anything? Im repeating the LC and never in the 3 years Ive been doing the course has my teacher ever mentioned this lol

The 40 marks are for how good and factual your essay was. the more quotes, facts etc you have, the better. And also how relevant your essay is to the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

What are the 40 marks for ? So you get 60 marks for essentially writing 5 pages , of anything? Im repeating the LC and never in the 3 years Ive been doing the course has my teacher ever mentioned this lol

The 100 is split into CM and OE

CM: 60 marks. Each paragraph is marked out of 12. It's near impossible to get 12. What I do is write loads of paragraphs - if you have 10 which each get 6, you'll get the 60. If you have 12 with 8 each you'll technically get 96 but you can only get as high as 60.

OE: overall evaluation out of 40. How well did you deal with the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Usually 6 for an A. How many essays d'yas have done for each section?

I'm doing 3 for Ireland and Europe, and four for USA. Just have to learn the last 3 now this weekend.... what about everyone else? I know I'm taking a big chance with learning so little :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

theowen wrote: »
    Usually 6 for an A. How many essays d'yas have done for each section?

I usually do 3-4 with my big handwriting and I always get A's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

You're modest!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm doing 3 for Ireland and Europe, and four for USA. Just have to learn the last 3 now this weekend.... what about everyone else? I know I'm taking a big chance with learning so little :(

You're learning more than me.. I felt pretty safe until now, lol :(

I usually aim for 4 pages.. Nobody ever mentioned this 60/40 thing to me before.. Very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I have 5-7 for each section thinking I was safe, but I was circling what I've done on the syllabus mini page and there was a lot left...

Advertisement