Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG O taxi discount......ya right!!!

Options
  • 11-06-2010 7:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I see loads of flyers been dropped in oranmore (4 dropped in my door today at different times) for Big-O taxis saying up to a €5 off, but there is a catch minimum fare is €15....sure thats a normal price to oranmore any way...must other Taxis you can haggle a discount of 2-3 euro anyway........... hah haaa good luck with that lads, we were not born yesterday....:rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Doom wrote: »
    I see loads of flyers been dropped in oranmore (4 dropped in my door today at different times) for Big-O taxis saying up to a €5 off, but there is a catch minimum fare is €15....sure thats a normal price to oranmore any way...must other Taxis you can haggle a discount of 2-3 euro anyway........... hah haaa good luck with that lads, we were not born yesterday....:rolleyes:

well if 15 is the normal fair and you get 5 off all fairs of 15+ you only have to pay 10 for your fair, thats a pretty good deal if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Seaneh wrote: »
    well if 15 is the normal fair and you get 5 off all fairs of 15+ you only have to pay 10 for your fair, thats a pretty good deal if you ask me.

:confused: No min fare is €15 regardless of discount.......there is no discount for any fare of €15 and under.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Iv gotten the discount off the minimum fare!

cooperguy wrote: »
    Iv gotten the discount off the minimum fare!

Where did u get the cab to and what is the usual fare

Or I wonder are they putting up fare on the sly and then giving you a discount off that......or as a taxi driver may say....'Oranmore is €20 bud! but with that discount card I'll do it for €15 jump into my 15 year old banger with no rear shocks and I'll drive you home safe as fast as I can possible go'.... allegally :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I would take "Minimum fare €15" to mean of you spend €15 you get €5 off, thus it would be €10.
    Like a supermarket offer of spend €30 or more and get €3 off --> €27.
    Lots of offers have a minimum spend like that.
    Or am I misunderstanding?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

schween wrote: »
    I would take "Minimum fare €15" to mean of you spend €15 you get €5 off, thus it would be €10.
    Like a supermarket offer of spend €30 or more and get €3 off --> €27.
    Lots of offers have a minimum spend like that.
    Or am I misunderstanding?

That's how I saw it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

i thought that as well,

but on the abck fo the voucher, it gives the break down. it will always cost you a minimum of €15.

if fair is 16 you get 1 euro off repating till 20 getting 5 euro off

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

I don't see what the problem is....there are two loyalty cards - a €2 discount card and a €5 euro discount card. If a fare is €16 use the €2 dscount card. If it's €18 and up use the €5 euro discount card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

or better yet, use a hackney and don't pay Big O prices

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    don't pay Big O prices
    Big O prices = Galway Taxi prices = City Cab prices. All taxi fares are metered and not set by the company. Discounts given are at the discretion of the driver/company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

The clue is in the name - BIG(prices) O Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Big O prices = Galway Taxi prices = City Cab prices. All taxi fares are metered and not set by the company. Discounts given are at the discretion of the driver/company

Hackney fares are also metered, but lower.

Hackneys aren't the same as taxis: they don't have signage, and are not allowed to pick people up off the street - the passenger has to ring or go to the office.

Next time you want to so somewhere, try Pro-cabs or the company with the office next to AIB in Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

JustMary wrote: »

Hackneys aren't the same as taxis: they don't have signage, and are not allowed to pick people up off the street - the passenger has to ring or go to the office.

Next time you want to so somewhere, try Pro-cabs or the company with the office next to AIB in Eyre Square.

Define metered, if a hackney has any kind of meter fitted it's breaking the regulations

JustMary wrote: »
    Hackneys are not metered, they have to quote you a price before the journey starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i use big O all the time. i find them the most reliable service. always prompt. no messing about. and i dont find them too expensive(not their night time prices anyway)

i always have one of their discount cards on hand and always produce it when paying the fare. recently ive found that some drivers are scrutinizing the card when i pay and dont seem too keen to offer the discount. as a semi regular user, and one who always dials big O first i worked out that i spend €1000-1500 on cabs a year. seeing as they know who i am everytime i ring there should be no call out charge added on at all. surely it would be in their interests to hold on to their regulars?

Procabs charge me 8€ regardless of time to get from their office to Merlin Stores. Big-O generally around 10€. Only use Big-O when I'm in a rush as they are the quickest for arriving admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

...i worked out that i spend €1000-1500 on cabs a year. seeing as they know who i am everytime i ring there should be no call out charge added on at all. surely it would be in their interests to hold on to their regulars?

Seriously? :eek: That is shocking! €20 - €30 a week on taxis. That's my supermarket shop!
    I'd say they know your name because their computer tells them. Galway Taxis have the same thing.

Procabs charge me 8€ regardless of time to get from their office to Merlin Stores. Big-O generally around 10€. Only use Big-O when I'm in a rush as they are the quickest for arriving admittedly.

I generally use Procabs too, only use a taxi when really stuck.

big O have the biggest fleet and while they are a couple of euros more expensive they always get to your door in minutes. i even find on saturday nights during taxi rush hour if you call them they will arrive fairly quick, while with hackneys you'll probably be waiting much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you're over West of the City, Claddagh Cabs are good. 90% of time they arrive within 10 mins, and usually tell you if it will be 15.
    No callout charge, and reasonable price.
    Most drivers are lovely. Some of the cars are a little, well, less than pristine, but nothing scuzzy or enough to bother me, and sometimes the new merc shows up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Where did u get the cab to and what is the usual fare
    I got the discount card through the door today, sorry I mixed it up with another one iv used.

You are right too by the way. It says at the bottom of the card that the NET fair must be €15, so thats after discount. Its still a good deal for anybody with a €20 taxi fair though.

explains it all on their website
    http://www.bigotaxis.com/specials.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I used Eire taxis a few times and they seem fine. They have a set fare card that you have to produce each time and they have to honour it.

Advertisement