Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish help

• 11-06-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

For someone taking up honours Irish for the year to sit in june 2011,what tips and advice would you give in regards to learning the material,A freind of mine needs it for a requirement and would only be sitting the Irish exam.Please dont just state the obvious like learn it.If any one has any good tips regards to learning the poems etc....
    Also what approach did you take in regards to studying An Trial,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

What kind of level is your friend at? Is he/she in school, just out of school or a "grown-up"? What's his/her previous experience with Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

put loads and loads of effort into the oral.get someone who can correct you n have a conversation with you in irish every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 3rocksigns

she is going into her final year in college and wants to apply to do a a postgrad in primary school teaching afterwards and needs the honours irish requirement, she did ordinary level for the leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

My aunt did this about 5 years ago, it's certainly doable :)

ORAL, can't emphasise it strongly enough, i'm almost certain it's worth 40% next year, so find a friend/teacher or whoever who she's comfortable with and speak Irish with them as often as possible, someone with a high level of proficiency who will correct her as she goes.

Get grinds, regularly, a couple of times a week all year if possible. Do "An Triail" as her option as it's very easy, use the grinds to learn poetry and prós and just practice all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

My aunt did this about 5 years ago, it's certainly doable :)

ORAL, can't emphasise it strongly enough, i'm almost certain it's worth 40% next year, so find a friend/teacher or whoever who she's comfortable with and speak Irish with them as often as possible, someone with a high level of proficiency who will correct her as she goes.

Get grinds, regularly, a couple of times a week all year if possible. Do "An Triail" as her option as it's very easy, use the grinds to learn poetry and prós and just practice all the time

It's not. Not until 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If you wait til 2012 you'll get 40% for the oral.. and you'll only have to study either An Trial or the Poetry, one or the other... so there's gonna be so much less studying to be done.. I dunno if this is an option for you but it's worth considering maybe...

otherwise when studying an trial just focus on the tragoid or the influence of the church on the society.. those 2 essays seem to cover you for next every question if you mix and match a bit...

as for the poetry just learn the themes/emotions and just know what happens in the poems... you should be able to make some form of answer up if you can rememeber what the themes are... and just keep quoting...
    then the same goes for the teichnicata filiochta just know what they are and you should be able to pick them out on the day...

pro's is easy enough too.. just basically tell the story and link to the question...

stair... try and learn a few off and hope for the best... you might even be able to guess a few for a few points on the day...

it's definitely doable if you know a bit of irish and if you knuckle down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

3rocksigns wrote: »
    she is going into her final year in college and wants to apply to do a a postgrad in primary school teaching afterwards and needs the honours irish requirement, she did ordinary level for the leaving cert
    Depending on where she's located, she may have other options.

NUI Maynooth certainly offer a part-time / evening Dioploma sa Ghaeilge in a couple of locations (Maynooth, Drumcondra and Kilkenny AFAIR) which satisfies the Irish requirement instead of the LC Hons. I think Galway may also offer a similar course, again in a few locations.

It concentrates much more on language (oral and written) than on poetry, prose, etc. and many older students find it much more accessible as a result.

Plus it will probably give her a better platform to build from if she does go ahead to do primary teaching.

Link to Maynooth one ... check NUI Galway / the other colleges as well! :)

Advertisement