Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance fraud/Assessors

Options
  • 11-06-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I wanted to get some feedback about how people feel about this pure madness in my opinion

Hypothetically speaking, you get a leak in your home and causes minor damage, the actual cost to repair is 1k with change left, now the assessors come in and end up getting 5k from the insurance company, the CRAZY thing is this happens all the time, the frustrating thing is that me and you paid that 4k in someones back pocket through rising premiums!

I would love to know why on earth are the insurance companies allowing this to happen? and why do they not implement some cop on and pay the contractors directly and have there own assessors????

This simple thing will stop the people with no morals out there screwing the system and making false claims and will substantially reduce premiums out there for everyone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I thought insurance companies did have their own assessors? Paying contractors directly would become very messy, they'd be waiting on quotes, waiting for the job to be done, etc. Plus probably few coontractors would be willing to take on the work if they felt they would have to wait to be paid. Although in todays climate maybe not.
    I do know someone who claimed a crazy ammount of money for damaged kitchen floorboards resulting from a bleach spill a year before, they looked for compensations for the living room and hallway floorboards as well because they all matched and they didnt want to take a chance of them not matching, it was approved:eek: and he laid the boards himself - thus making a tidy little profit.

i take it you just received your insurance renewal letter.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You say 'hypothetical' and then go on to state specific amount. Explain the detail to give us some chance of giving an opinion.

I have previously gone out to assess a claim submitted for X amount but actually spotted additional damage that had occurred from the incident and increased the settlement. It was genuine insured damage for which the claimant was entitled to compensation. It's called customer service, not fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

oldyouth wrote: »
    You say 'hypothetical' and then go on to state specific amount. Explain the detail to give us some chance of giving an opinion.

I have previously gone out to assess a claim submitted for X amount but actually spotted additional damage that had occurred from the incident and increased the settlement. It was genuine insured damage for which the claimant was entitled to compensation. It's called customer service, not fraud

Hi, I am trying to put the reader into this scenario.. but there is fact behind it.

Of course there are genuine claims never said there was not, but everyone has heard at least at some stage of someone making a claim for damage caused by the claimant, this is fraud!

Lets face it when you can get money so easily, there will always be the scum out there taking advantage of this and my confusion is why are insurance companies allowing it to happen by giving out ridiculous sums of money to cover damage that costs a fraction of that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

gogo wrote: »
    I thought insurance companies did have their own assessors? Paying contractors directly would become very messy, they'd be waiting on quotes, waiting for the job to be done, etc. Plus probably few coontractors would be willing to take on the work if they felt they would have to wait to be paid. Although in todays climate maybe not.
    I do know someone who claimed a crazy ammount of money for damaged kitchen floorboards resulting from a bleach spill a year before, they looked for compensations for the living room and hallway floorboards as well because they all matched and they didnt want to take a chance of them not matching, it was approved:eek: and he laid the boards himself - thus making a tidy little profit.

i take it you just received your insurance renewal letter.;)

lol Not exactly it is always something I have been meaning to mention, but my car insurance is up that must be the reason ;)

As far as i am aware assessors are independant I could be wrong.

I would just love to see a day where your insurance goes down if you make no claims, it really is a pain that genuine people out there have to pay higher rates to compensate for the madness going on out there, but I will not hold my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You are still spouting folklore and not case examples. If you know of a specific fraudulent claim, give us the bones of the facts for discussion and then ring the Gardai with the exact detail to allow prosecution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Mr CJ wrote: »
    I wanted to get some feedback about how people feel about this pure madness in my opinion

Hypothetically speaking, you get a leak in your home and causes minor damage, the actual cost to repair is 1k with change left, now the assessors come in and end up getting 5k from the insurance company, the CRAZY thing is this happens all the time, the frustrating thing is that me and you paid that 4k in someones back pocket through rising premiums!

I would love to know why on earth are the insurance companies allowing this to happen? and why do they not implement some cop on and pay the contractors directly and have there own assessors????

This simple thing will stop the people with no morals out there screwing the system and making false claims and will substantially reduce premiums out there for everyone else.

Without going into too much detail, all insurance companies in this country will soon be insisting on using contractors approved by loss adjusters.

Advertisement