Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent Advice Needed

• 11-06-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am kind of looking for a bit of advice on a difficult situation or decision I have to make. Apologies in advance for my rambling on...!!

I just moved home there two weeks ago for the summer, back into a difficult family situation...domestic violence. I am a 21 year old female. Been away from home and in college now for three years. However, I travelled home to the country on a weekly basis as I finished college early on a thursday and wasn't in college until late on a Monday. It was more something that was expected of me and something which I suppse I expected of myself.

Anyways I am home now and I'm slightly in a predicament over my medication. I was put on them more that 18 months ago now and for the most part I stayed on them pretty well. However, saying this I found them ineffective and I was referred to a psyciatrist who changed my meds almost instantly.

Over the last couple days I havn't felt better or anything but I have been more reluctant to take my meds. I am currently on 225mg of effexor and have been attending councelling on a weekly basis while I was in college, but now since I have moved back I kind of have no where to go. I up until 6/7 weeks ago went to extremes of self-harm which went on for 9 months and has been one fo the most difficult things I have ceased doing.

My family are non-aware of how the situation has affected me over the past 15 years or so, I along with my siblings have witnessed traumatising incidents. Basically they do nt know that I am on meds, I have to hide them under my mattress and that I have been attending a psyciatrist or councellor. I would be frowned upon if they knew and being from a small area, news travels fast, a bit too fast!

I suppose what I'm asking is I have been told by my Doctor that it would be highly unwise to cease taking meds, I am kind of wondering is this true or is it just a scare tatic? Has anyone any suggestions on how I can get through the summer holidays??

By the way, I have gone down every option that I could stay away from home for the summer. But unfortunately, nothing was viable. Otherwise I wouldn't be stuck in this god damn forsaken place!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm sorry, we cannot advise you on what will happen if or whether you should stop taking prescription medication.

You will need to speak to your gp regarding this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement