Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Postgrad application process

Options
  • 11-06-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just in the process of getting to grips with this online application process thing! Still a bit confused over how I'll submit my references as the detail in the UCD FAQ is a bit vague tbh. It's for a Masters in the Comp. Sci. School, is there a specific reference form required or is it just a normal letter which I then scan in?? Or is an electronic reference accaeptable at all? Also is it two academic refs, or is one from an employer also allowed? It seems to be similar for all postgrad courses so maybe somebody who has applied for a UCD postgrad before might be able to help me? :) Sorry for the questions - I have tried ringing the School the last couple of days but could not get through to anyone, I'm sure it's a bad time with the summer break etc.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I didn't do that particular course, but last summer I just had to enter the names and contact details of the two referees. I did another masters in UCD before where I had to actually get 2 people to fill out a form, but I did not need to do that last year. But I would say that for some courses the process is different if you are applying as a current or previous UCD student. They are less stringent on things like referees letters.

I also had just one academic reference and one employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i applied online for another UCD course just a couple months ago, and i found it a bit confusing too! i remember being quite confused about the reference letters and whether i was supposed to scan/mail them, but in the end after the lecturers sent me their mails, i think i only had to fill their names/details in.

i'm sure it's fine to use both an academic and an employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Again this was for a different masters. I graduated a few years back and was having trouble contacting lecturers who would have known me. I spoke to the course admin and she said that names and contact details of non academic referees would be fine in my case as I met the entry requirements re undergrad results.
    I think that if you're having concerns about the process you should persist in trying to get in contact with the admins.
    As an aside, having dealt with the School of Comp. Sci. the best time to get hold of anybody there is early in the day (9am-11am)
    Best of luck with your application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hey guys
    I have submitted everything (I think!) and got an email from the School to say my reference was received a week or so ago, even though it is still not marked as 'Received' on my online application.

The status of my application is showing "n/a" - Does anyone know if it stays like this until (hopefully!) an offer is made, or does it change to something a bit more meaningful like "submitted" or "Pending" etc.? I guess I'm worried that n/a means my application has not been submitted properly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mbnxztp1qyevf9

I applied for a UCD Masters a couple of months ago, and got that same n/a thing. I rang the admin people and they said that it just means that your application has gone through, and the particular school is considering it. When they've made they're decision, it'll change to offer etc.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement