Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Citizen travelling to US - Passport expiration date

Options
  • 11-06-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All:

I hold dual citizenship (US and Irish).

At the end of July 2010 I will be travelling to the US and will stay for 3 weeks.

My US passport expires on 10th October 2010.

Are there any issues with my US passport not being valid for 6 months after date of entry into the US?

Have searched all the official websites to no avail (they indicate a valid US passport is required, however, no mention of passport expiration date).

Would really appreciate your assistance here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No issues at all, especialy as it is valid for both travel there and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

silja wrote: »
    No issues at all, especialy as it is valid for both travel there and return.

Thanks so much Silja! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

carpediem wrote: »
    Have searched all the official websites to no avail (they indicate a valid US passport is required, however, no mention of passport expiration date).

I dont think thats strictly true, but I imagine they want to discourage people chancing it with expired passports.

A US citizen presenting themselves at US Immigration in the US with an expired passport is surely NOT going to be refused entry and therefore deported.

I had a US immigration officer tell me not to worry about my green card expiring because "i was still in the computer". I know thats different to a passport but the idea is the same.

AGain I wouldnt advise trying to enter the US with an expired passport...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I dont think thats strictly true, but I imagine they want to discourage people chancing it with expired passports.

A US citizen presenting themselves at US Immigration in the US with an expired passport is surely NOT going to be refused entry and therefore deported.

I had a US immigration officer tell me not to worry about my green card expiring because "i was still in the computer". I know thats different to a passport but the idea is the same.

AGain I wouldnt advise trying to enter the US with an expired passport...

Thanks for the post - my passport will not be expired when I enter the US. It expires in October and I will enter in July.

Advertisement