Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Periodontal Regenerative Surgery

Options
  • 11-06-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Due to bone loss around one of my teeth my periodontist is recommending Periodontal Regenerative Surgery using Endogain or Bio-oss which are animal derived materials used to promote bone growth. My understanding is that this is a relatively new procedure. I don't know whether to proceed with it or not as the outcome is not certain.Has anyone had this procedure and was it a success?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Emdogain is relatively new ( around 6 years), Bio-oss has been around for yonks. Guided bone regeneration is fairly standard and common proceedure but it depends in the site how successful it will be. Your periodontist will know the success rate for specific defects. While the materials change from time to time, GBR or guided bone regeneration has been around since the 1990, so no need to worry nothing experimental going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

the surgery has boeen around for some time so you are not a guinea pig!
    the success of the procedure will depend on the nature of the bone loss, essentially the more the bone loss, the harder it is to replace it with surgery, but smaller bone defects respond very well.

Discuss it further with your periodontist, I am sure they would be happy to go through any concerns you have and explain any risks

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I would like to get more info on this, would I be able to get it done with my own dentist or get a refferal to a periodontist?
    And does anyone know of the price involved too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I would like to get more info on this, would I be able to get it done with my own dentist or get a refferal to a periodontist?
    And does anyone know of the price involved too?

Periodontist........nobody here can tell you the price it is different form periodontist to periodontist and depending on your clinical situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BizAngel

Your dentist will refer you to a Periodontist. Every case is different but in my case I've been quoted €700 for the procedure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement