Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discontinued tiles - help needed

• 11-06-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I am building a new house and getting the following areas tiled - the porch, hallway, kitchen, utility. Thing is, the tiler informed us during the week that he's run out of tiles! I wont bore ye with the details of how the tile shop underestimated the amount of tiles needed, but the fact remains that we need extra tiles to complete the job. Here's the catch, the tile shop has informed us that the manufacturer has now discontinued the tile or rather they've discontinued the shade of the tile we've started to use!

The tile we're using is from the company Tau Ceramica, and it's their Baudo Marfil 60x60 in the shade(or tone) G8.

I've tried contacting the company and they inform me that they dont have any left. I believe tubs and tiles delivers these tiles to the ROI but they dont have any in stock, as for NI Tau deliever individually to tile shops.

I've managed to source 5 boxes but need another 10.

I'm hoping that some tile shops might have a few surplus boxes lying about from the Celtic tiger years that we can buy from them, otherwise it means lifting the tiles already laid and replacing with another tile - at considerable cost.

Any help would be fantastic. As 'Arfur Daly' would say, "her indoors" is panicing like mad over the issue as we're about 3 weeks from moving into our new house and this is adding big delay...!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you do the kitchen and utility (say) in a different shade, is it really going to be noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Not really and it looks like that's what we'll have to do. The problem is, is that the tiles in the hall will have to be lifted and more than likely dumped (depending on breakage), also adding into the equation the additional work/cost for the tiler to relay the new tiles. On top of the fact the tiles look really cool, it's a cost saving measure as well...but thanks for the reply....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Have you checked the new shade? Is there really a lot of difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

i am calling into a T & T shop tomorrow that has job lots of tiles for sale, will check for you. if you presented the plans to the tile shop and they underestimated your quantity by such an amount then there has to be an onus on said tile shop to rectify the problem. they made a mistake make them fix it.i have in the past been able to source a small amount of tiles by getting phone numbers of previous buyers of the same tile and contacting them for any surplus they may have,unfortunately you need a lot and will require a lot of research. it has worked for me.

www.bathroombliss.info

Nope, haven't checked the new shade. We requested a sample this day last week and am still waiting for it. I have to say, they(tile shop) are being particularly unhelpful in this matter. I'll batter on though....

Skingtile - cheers for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DubGal10

Hi,

Was the original shop a tubs and tiles shop that underestimated you?
    Shading is a problem with all tiles, every batch is slightly different when their made and their is slight differences but 9/10 they are not major.

I might be able to help you just have to check with a supplier for the shade

Nope, was another tile shop.

I've been busy gawking about for these and hopefully I've been able to source the required amount of tiles. Getting them delivered tomorrow or more likely next Tuesday.

Advertisement