Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

• 11-06-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I have a mates machine and he tried to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.

The unhinstall balked before it finished which left MSE unusable. He then tried to use Revo uninstaller to remove it & it appeared to do so in so far as it finished successfully but it has left a lot of entries behind in the registry which I am unable to delete.

The reason he decided to uninstall it was that it blocked some genuine programs from running, including the likes of Quick Books.

It's won't let me install the likes of AVG now either as it sees MSE as still being installed.

I don't want to flatten & reinstall because I have no knowledge of Quick books so don't know how to save any of it's data.

Any ideas on how I can rid the system of MSE?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Have a look on google and see if they have an uninstall tool

alternatively - yanked from another site :

you can also use a small tool to repair Microsoft Security Essentials. Download and install Fix MSE http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/Fix%20MSE.zip . Make sure that you have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 and Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I had already been there unnameduser but I couldn't find a removal tool & don't believe one exists.

The "Fix MSE" I had already tried but it can't fix what's technically not installed?

The program itself is uninstalled but I think it's the damn registry entries it left behind that are causing the problems & they can't be deleted.

Thanks for the response though, it's appreciated :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Install MSE again then uninstall it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Reinstall mse then uninstall.

If that doesn't work try a registry cleaner / optimizer

SickBoy wrote: »
    Install MSE again then uninstall it.
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Reinstall mse then uninstall.

If that doesn't work try a registry cleaner / optimizer

It ain't having any of that either lads I'm afraid.

I think it has to be a flatten & re-install?

Does any one out there know if there are any files I can take from the following two program folders that can be used to restore data after a reinstall?

Quick Books

CollSoft Payroll

Both these programs are on the system & I can access their folders but I can't run either of them :(

-

• Advertisement

This is the error I get if I attempt to install MSE

errormse.png

What gives with that C:\Windows\WinSxS folder?

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Have you tried Ccleaner. This will usually remove any junk from the registry...

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Make sure to uncheck "Install Yahoo toolbar" during setup

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Have you tried Ccleaner. This will usually remove any junk from the registry...

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Make sure to uncheck "Install Yahoo toolbar" during setup

Yes I tried that and Revo uninstaller too & they claimed to have removed it but there are loads of registry entries still there & everything else sees it as still installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

What OS?
    Did you try this?

What OS?
    Did you try this?

It's XP Pro but that OneCare Toll won't run either?

This is all I get

error2s.png

Even though the machine is working kind of normally with the exception of this issue & the fact it won't let me run certain programs, I'm convinced it's all related to the dodgy install\uninstall of MSE & I have no choice but to flatten it.

My concern now is, how can I salvage the data from Quick Books & CollSoft Payroll or can I? :(

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

The error looks like a .Net Framework error. Try to install/reinstall Dotnetfx.exe from MS

Advertisement