Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GREECE V SOUTH KOREA (GRP B)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I hear you're racist now Fr.

91552.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Greece's attitude is appalling, but credit to South Korea. They must be odds on to get out of the group now.

Shocking, the amount of empty seats in the stadium, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

South Korea .... If this is the standard of the so called "minnows" then this is gonna be some WC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ye know what grinds my gears about this. How a crappy crap team like Greece can be in this tournament instead of us. They actually make my eyes bleed they are so bad. Awful side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mixednuts wrote: »
    South Korea .... If this is the standard of the so called "minnows" then this is gonna be some WC :)

SK aren't a minnow any more, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

quarryman wrote: »
    Ye know what grinds my gears about this. How a crappy crap team like Greece can be in this tournament instead of us. They actually make my eyes bleed they are so bad. Awful side.
    That attitude grinds my gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

South Korea won about 4 or 5 balls off the Greeks in midfield they had no right to win in this half alone before the goal, so it's not as if it was a fluke - it was down to good work by the Koreans as well to keep making those tackles.

true but they could have laid the ball of sooner to another player b4 hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Greece's attitude is appalling, but credit to South Korea. They must be odds on to get out of the group now.

Shocking, the amount of empty seats in the stadium, though.

Yeah, SK are impressive but Greece are a shambles. We haven't seen Nigeria (or Argentina for that matter) yet so to say they're odds on to get out of the group is a bit premature.

poor decision there and an even poorer corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Des wrote: »
    Get the dogs on the BBQ!!!!

Post of the day :)

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    to say they're odds on to get out of the group is a bit premature.

Three points in your first game is usually a great basis for getting out of the group.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That attitude grinds my gears.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why?

Because it's a effective way to play, and it qualified them for the WC. They deserve to be there, Ireland don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not to mention if Greece grind your gears prepare for much grinding over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

anplaya wrote: »
    true but they could have laid the ball of sooner to another player b4 hand

Not denying the Greek (Popodopilos I think )fecked up but the Koreans deserve a fair bit of credit for forcing the mistake - not as if it was a once-off thing.

South Koreans gone a bit flat - good call on the substitution to get fresh legs on given the Greeks have all 3 subs on already

Why?

There's also the fact that the Irish tactical approach would more than likely be much closer to the Greek approach than the South Koreans.

Three points in your first game is usually a great basis for getting out of the group.

Of course but it's still premature to say so becauseif they lose to Nigeria, you'd imagine they'd be in trouble.

Because it's a effective way to play, and it qualified them for the WC. They deserve to be there, Ireland don't.

No its not. It was effective in 2004 when they a much better defending side.

Now they are getting out-jumped and outplayed by the 2nd smallest side in the tournament.

• Advertisement

Good save keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Who is the shortest team in the World Cup?

Now they are getting out-jumped and outplayed by the 2nd smallest side in the tournament.

lol

tallest is serbia and shortest is chile.greece are second tallest whilst korea rep are 13th.not as small as people think.

serbia
    greece
    denmark
    new zealand
    germany
    nigeria
    solvenia
    slovakia
    australia
    switzerland
    cameroon
    brazil
    korea republic
    algeria
    france
    england
    portugal
    italy
    netherlands
    usa
    ivory coast
    paraguay
    spain
    uruaguay
    japan
    ghana
    argentina
    hondurus
    mexico
    southafrica
    korea dpr
    chile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Everyone is gonna come out saying that Greece are sh1te after this game and not give any respect to South Korea.

The Korean's have the best league in Asia, did show when they co-hosted the world cup that they can play football and imo this is a real statement from South Korea moreso than just that Greece are weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Korea are playing very well Greece are drawing yet more questions about how FIFA rank teams how are they so high?

• Advertisement

No its not.

Must be if they are in the tournament, they didn't get a bye afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tallest is serbia and shortest is chile.grrece are second tallest whilst korea rep are 13th.not as small as people think.

Tallest is Holland according to the Guardian's WC Daily Podcast. I think they said the Koreans are the shortest.

1.83cm and 1.78cm repectively.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Everyone is gonna come out saying that Greece are sh1te after this game and not give any respect to South Korea.

The Korean's have the best league in Asia, did show when they co-hosted the world cup that they can play football and imo this is a real statement from South Korea moreso than just that Greece are weak.

It goes hand in hand. South Korea have been impressive but Greece are shocking.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tallest is Holland according to the Guardian's WC Daily Podcast. I think they said the Koreans are the shortest.

1.83cm and 1.78cm repectively.

got totally different stats myself serbia are 1.85cm and chile are 1.76,koreans are giants in comparision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

After the dross of the first two games, thank god for South Korea. You just have to love the attitude and the work rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Strenge the Greeks would change formation from the system that got them to the WC.

Must be if they are in the tournament, they didn't get a bye afaik

Look at their qualifying group though. Poor enough.

Switzerland
    Greece
    Latvia
    Israel
    Luxembourg
    Moldova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

tallest is serbia and shortest is chile.greece are second tallest whilst korea rep are 13th.not as small as people think.

serbia
    greece
    denmark
    new zealand
    germany
    nigeria
    solvenia
    slovakia
    australia
    switzerland
    cameroon
    brazil
    korea republic
    algeria
    france
    england
    portugal
    italy
    netherlands
    usa
    ivory coast
    paraguay
    spain
    uruaguay
    japan
    ghana
    argentina
    hondurus
    mexico
    southafrica
    korea dpr
    chile

Just looking at that list makes one appreciate how many bad terams there are at this world cup.

Degag wrote: »
    It goes hand in hand. South Korea have been impressive but Greece are shocking.
    It doesn't really, if that was Brazil, Spain or even England, Argentina, people would automatically be proclaiming them finalists.

People really do underestimate teams when they don't know most of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

2-0 Full Time.
    Three points in the bank for Korea, tired a bit towards the end but they had the safety of a two goal lead so I won't hold that against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

God, Greece were abysmal.

Look at their qualifying group though. Poor enough.

Switzerland
    Greece
    Latvia
    Israel
    Luxembourg
    Moldova

Bullshít tbh, they did what they had to do to qualify, ergo, they're playing style is an effective method to qualify for the WC.

Ireland's is not. Hence, Ireland are not at the WC.

South Korea are likely QFs after that display imo. After that its anybody's guess how they will do.

They should get 2nd in that group, or maybe even first if Maradona really does make a mess of the Argies.

Either way they play a team from Group A and none of them are very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Bullshít tbh, they did what they had to do to qualify, ergo, they're playing style is an effective method to qualify for the WC.

Ireland's is not. Hence, Ireland are not at the WC.

that is very faulty logic....

the only fair way to rank the top 32 teams in the world is to make all teams play each other in a league system and take the top 32, obviously this is impossible but the current system cant be used to fairly compare teams....

the only fair way to rank the top 32 teams in the world is to make all teams play each other in a league system and take the top 32, obviously this is impossible but the current system cant be used to fairly compare teams....

I'm not comparing teams, I'm not making any critical judgement of one team vs another, I'm not saying the best 32 teams in the world are at the WC.

I AM saying that the Greek method of play is effective. The other poster said it isn't, I am merely disputing that.

The Greek style of play is very effective. They played in a manner which ensured qualification for the WC. Their qialification group is not relevant in that critique. They were set a task, they devised a method to carry out that task, and it worked. It is effective.

Now, is it effective enough to go further in the tournament proper, on that evidence, no it is not, but that is not the question.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

New Zealand deserve to be in the tournament based on the system they qualified in. Put them in a strong European group and they wouldn't stand a chance.

Exactly.

New Zealand deserve to be in the tournament based on the system they qualified in. Put them in a strong European group and they wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm not disputing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'm not comparing teams, I'm not making any critical judgement of one team vs another, I'm not saying the best 32 teams in the world are at the WC.

I AM saying that the Greek method of play is effective. The other poster said it isn't, I am merely disputing that.

The Greek style of play is very effective. They played in a manner which ensured qualification for the WC. Their qialification group is not relevant in that critique. They were set a task, they devised a method to carry out that task, and it worked. It is effective.

Now, is it effective enough to go further in the tournament proper, on that evidence, no it is not, but that is not the question.

you are comparing teams though, the original point was we deserve to be there ahead of some teams based on the standard of our squad - not based on a semi-random grouping which heavily influences a teams ability to qualify...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Match report

Greece looked very poor. They were out of ideas from the moment Korea scored.

I'm not disputing that.

Ah, but you are.

I said I was disappointed Ireland weren't in the tournament based on what i have seen from Greece.

Your argument is they deserve to be there merely because they are there
    Must be if they are in the tournament

That is assuming the system is perfectly fair and takes the top 32 teams from the world when we both know it doesn't.

I'm entitled to be disappointed we aren't competing in the tournament looking at the Greece and the group they qualified from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

South Korea were very impressive I thought, technically they were very good, much better than I thought they would be. By far the better team, they looked sharp for the majority, which is more than I can say about Greece who looked slow and out of ideas once they reached the halfway line. Hopefully Korea will progress now, can see them making the Quarters if they keep up performances like that.

Advertisement