Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time trouble - who's had it?

• 11-06-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

I was worried going into the English Papers that I'd be short on time, but I was done with 5 mins to spare in Paper 1, and 15 in Paper 2. Maths Paper 1 I finished with an hour to spare, and then spent half an hour looking over it extensively before leaving. History is my only concern left for time, as I don't care too much how I do in Irish or German as long as I pass and I'm grand for time in Accounting, Maths 2, App Maths and Chemistry.

How have others been? Most people I've spoken to in my school had no major problems in this regard, has anyone here, and if so, when and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Today in geography finished just on time.

In English I was so happy that my favourite poet came up and I spent a lot longer on that question than I should have. Wrote two pages on the unseen in 10 mins though so gained time there, was so basic that poem. Then got through Lear and was writing conclusion in last five mins. Didn't get to read over the last essay.

In maths was working right up until the end on some part Cs.

No major problems yet. Thank you God. Had some people very rushed in geography in my year though today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

So far no trouble.

But I'm dreading the timing on Accounting :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Accounting will be a nightmare. Why would they extend other exams by 20 minutes but not accounting. I could really do with extra time in accounting. The questions have to be exactly like past ones for me to be able to do it in the time allotted - if I have to spend ages trying to figure out how to deal with a new type of adjustment I won't get the Q1 done in 50 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Yeah I'm worrying about accounting too.
    Company accounts better come up, so I can get started right away. The workings are basicly always the same.
    Ratios should be done in 35 mins or so.
    It all depends on what budget/costing comes up.

Flexible can be done in 15 mins, marginal costing could be done in 20 or so.
    But most of the rest can take up to 40mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Business is going to be dreadful time wise but other than that (and possibly Maths Paper 2) I should be fine. It's been alright up until now but i've been writing until the last minute in 3/4 of them. A few people didn't answer a poet in my class yesterday because they didn't have time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Accounting is my favourite subject. Nothing takes as long as it should. Q1, except manufacturing, takes me 40mins, and all Q6/7s except Club take me less than that. Budgeting, especially flexible, takes no time at all.

I do agree that if you make mistakes, though, it can take eternity to find them, and that can cause a big waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Have been fine so far. Dreading accounting, and biz I should finish just on time as usual!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Accounting is my favourite subject. Nothing takes as long as it should. Q1, except manufacturing, takes me 40mins, and all Q6/7s except Club take me less than that. Budgeting, especially flexible, takes no time at all.

I do agree that if you make mistakes, though, it can take eternity to find them, and that can cause a big waste of time.

Can I ask if you have any time saving tips? How do you cut down? Do you use pencil or pen? Note or T-Account workings? THanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NumberZeroNine

Always always ALWAYS had time trouble in english, I just am not able to write fast, but what I do write has always been given high grades. the problem is i just don't have the volume of other scripts, so I immediately have to cut something out to get a good shot at the rest of the paper.

I did manage to get the entire p1 done this time round for the first time ever! My essay was a bit unconcluded though, i definitely got 45+ for QB, maybe a bit lower for QA.

In p2 i just left the poet out. solid 20/20 in the unseen, up in the 60 for my literary genre, half-ish marks in lear at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NumberZeroNine

Oh and in maths I'm getting Q's done in 15-20, usually getting a paper One done in 1;30ish, paper twos would take around 1;40-1;50, it's all just a matter of practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Can I ask if you have any time saving tips? How do you cut down? Do you use pencil or pen? Note or T-Account workings? THanks :)

I'm very quick at accounting finished the mocks with over an hour to spare-the best way to improve timing is just to practice,practice,practice just get to a stage where the next stage in a question comes naturally without wasting valuable time trying to figure out what to do next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

In every geography exam i have ever had, ive never finished on time as ive had too many things to write down and too little time. But today i finished with 10 minutes to spare, i ended up drawing some unnecessary maps and stuff... Im terrified that i skipped a question or something...

english 1 and 2 i finished on time

maths today, i was on question3 by half past 2, i finished at around 4rish and just keps rereading everything... i was so freaked out!!

Notes for all but Suspense, and in that I only put in the new (journal) figures. I go through workings first, and just write down, for example, "Purchases +(figure)= (new value)", instead of writing down the original purchases figure. I also do many workings in my head, as I'm good with percentage calculations etc., so I don't waste time with the calculator. You'd be surprised how long repeated picking it up and plugging in numbers takes up. I then tend to blast through the actual accounts, as I've already got the figures and minimal thinking is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Notes for all but Suspense, and in that I only put in the new (journal) figures. I go through workings first, and just write down, for example, "Purchases +(figure)= (new value)", instead of writing down the original purchases figure. I also do many workings in my head, as I'm good with percentage calculations etc., so I don't waste time with the calculator. You'd be surprised how long repeated picking it up and plugging in numbers takes up. I then tend to blast through the actual accounts, as I've already got the figures and minimal thinking is required.

Haha you sound almost exactly like me!!:D
    All the times you recommend I can endorse!

Haha you sound almost exactly like me!!:D
    All the times you recommend I can endorse!
    Great minds...

Thanks for the tips! You know you don't have to do full words in the workings - you can abbreviate

You could say Purch, Dr's, Cr's, anything you like really, as long as it's obvious what you are referring to. Don't do it in the actual accounts though!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

ive had english time trouble in about every exam ive ever done.... not in the real thing tho :P and i got more done now than in the mocks when i ran out of time lol..

same with maths, for mocks i finished early like 2 hours early lol but was working up until last few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

English paper 2 didn't finish my Lear question, I blame William Butler Yeats though, I could write all day on that fella. Hero!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I ran out of time in geography yesterday. English paper one I finisehed perfectly with 5 mins to go. English paper 2 I just wrote my conclusion to my composing thingy, and then time was up, didn't have time to look over it :( ... Maths was okay, finished with about 40 mins to go, so I decided to do the other two questions to the best of my ability :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Everything has been fine thus far, however was a lttle bit tight on paper 2 english but got through it.

Economics is going to be hell though!!! Why wont they extend it to 3 hours??:confused::mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement