Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protecting oak table

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i have bought a new oak dining table. Is there anything i can put on it to protect it against damage like water marks?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You could put a sheet of glass over the table top

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

If it is a brand new commercially produced dining table then it should have a fairly tough finish on it already. I bought a white oak dining table about 2 1/2 years ago and with light use there are no marks on it. Now I do not have kids so your mileage may vary but I have found from discussions with friends that have children that the only way to protect expensive furniture from children is not to buy expensive furniture.
    Without knowing the finish the manufacturer used it can be dangerous to apply some other finish over the top as it can peel, strip, bubble or otherwise ruin the finish underneath. A regular coating and buffing of furniture wax or good furniture polish should make it easier to remove any stains, marks etc... as they occur but you would have to see them in time, the wax creates a layer that you replenish regularly therefore the wax gets marked not the table. If the mark is light etc...then it can be removed by removing or polishing again with wax. You could call the manufacturer and ask what finish they use. And then investigate what additional coatings are compatible with that.

Advertisement