Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated job in the garden...

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Saw this topic in the farming forum and thought of what I was doing today...

I feel really bad when I have to thin veggies!! Thinned my parsnips, turnips, carrots for the final time today... I know its not a dirty job and is easy but just selectively choosing who lives and dies is a big decision!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Slugs slugs slugs the can't stand them, can't use slug pellets cause of the birds. So now they get drowned in larger, placed out for the birds. 15 of them last night in the bowl near the hosta and 10 near my runner beans!!! uughh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

slug picking or anything to do with them. I can't stand them..........skin crawls, feel sick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Definitely weeding!!.......hate it with a passion!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Dr Galen wrote: »
    slug picking or anything to do with them. I can't stand them..........skin crawls, feel sick

try caterpillars that have infested cabbages. The caterpillars and the eggs... smell so bad when you burst them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Removing the Dog Turds that my neighbour's Dog has left in My Garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't mind maintenance jobs so much. It's either jobs you have to do because you've left them too long (weeding overgrown areas) or major conversion jobs (setting up an entirely new garden bed from scratch, including digging out lawn.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Anything to do with bindweed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

still slugs........

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Agree on the slugs....

Also - digging docks out of my veggie patch. I don't mind any other weeds, but docks I have a personal grudge against!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

the thinning of crops is hard to do, hate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

weeding with a hoe in between onions!
    takes ages coz u have to be careful not to chop the head off your onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I hate pulling and cutting out the ba$tard brambles that grow over from the school behind me. Those damn brambles are so resilient. It took 4 years to remove them from my garden and now I still have to deal with the overspill :mad:

Advertisement