Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove sticker labels from new windows

• 11-06-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,
    Got windows into new extension recently. Never peeled the stickers as supposed to do, until recently. Dooh:o
    Now the labels are gone but the paste from the stickers is still there and cannot rid of it either.
    Any ideas boardies very welcome.
    Thanks
    Krispie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

You can get window scrapers (not sure if thats the name) in hardware stores that work great.

I had the same problem and scrapped them off perfectly... i was nervous to use it on the window first as i was convinced they would scratch the window. Keep it straight and go slow and light till you get the hang of it.

Go into a decent hardware store and speak to someone who has worked there for years to make sure you get the right tool... its not something you'd want to get wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Try a squirt of WD40 and the glue should come right off

Can you not get a residue remover that sorts that kinda thing out?

When I worked in Dunnes many moons ago, we used something like that to clean stickers off shelves and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

You can buy Label Remover, it reacts with the sticky residue and it will wipe clean, you should be able to get it in a good hardware shop or on an industrial supplies website, works wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

nail varnish remover would do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hammer and Chisel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

petrol on a rag, wipes away.
    better than any sticker remover. used in the sign industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

com1 wrote: »

this works a treat.

so does petrol but a small can of wd 40 is so handy when doing a load of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

com1 wrote: »

Good advise, i use to be an aluminium fixer and this is what we use. The sticky labels wont have a chance with the WD40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

If its the labels on the glass - use a stanley razor blade. keep it against the surface at an angle at all times and use gentle motions.

if its the remnants on the pvc itself. don't use a scraper or you'll scratch the pvc. wd40 will not work on if its the protective film on the frame. the thing i've used is steam. a wallpaper stripper if theres a lot of it. it will lift right off. if the film goes behind the reveal or silicone, you should score around the edge with a stanley blade first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dont use a blade if you dont need to.?? used wd 40 on your label residue

I used to fit and snag windows every day, as did Altor as stated in his post.

you will scratch tempered glass with a blade if not done with lots of clean water and a perfect blade at the correct angle.

one squirt of wd and left settle and rubbed off will be far less risky to your brand new windows with less fuss .

choose your advise carefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

To all who suggested the WD40 option, thanks.
    It worked a treat.:)
    Quick spray, leave for few seconds, wipe with fine scour pad, gone.
    23No. windows in 10 minutes.
    Had tried all sorts of sprays etc before, but this is the job.
    Thanks again
    A very happy Krispie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 duncans

resurrecting an old thread here!
    I've a similar problem with some roof light windows. Strangely the manufacturer seems to have glued the labels on with extra strength super glue. It's the only explanation. I'm going to try the wd40 suggestion on the main label which is paper, but there is another label which feels very plastic, so i don't think it will soak up anything. Any suggestions? Spent 3 hours the other night removing labels from two windows and i just can't go through that again. Perhaps there is someone out there who works for the company...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭kingshankly

just after doing mine this week you can get a sticker remover in woodies I used a paint brush to put it on. let it sit a minute then use a Stanley scraper (not the blade there is a specific one for windows)to scrape off. its the only way to go if you can't get sticker remover I'd say white spirits would do the job

thanks very much kingshankly, i'll give that a go. i've never seen anything so stubborn to shift. Tried the WD40 suggestion but it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

just an update for anyone in the same position. got a window scraper in homebase. tried a few products to wet the tape - none significantly better than others, but the scraper was a brill job. a bit scary at first because it had a metal blade but it took it off with no scrapes or marks. :D

Advertisement